Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding Date Ettiquette

The Saturday before 2014 Mother's Day, with good reasons, is the date I am looking at for my wedding.  Is it bad ettiqute to make it that day?  Most people make plans for that Sunday -- not the Saturday before.  What are proper measures I should take to make sure it won't interfere with things such as my minster I would like to do the cermony or something of the sort?

Monica

Re: Wedding Date Ettiquette

• hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    I am not 100% sure on the proper etiquette for it but I would start planning and booking venues and vendors early if you go with that date. Also, make sure word of mouth gets around to those you plan on inviting (family and friends) that you're planning for that date. That way people kind of have a heads up. 
  • I don't think there should be any problems, especially if your families don't usually have Mother's Day plans on the Saturday. Just contact your minister now and book your venue(s). The best way to avoid possible problems is to communicate with those involved. For what it's worth, I'm sure there are people who get married on Mother's Day Sunday too, without problems.
  • hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I don't think there is anything wrong with that date, I would go for it. Mine is the weekend before the 4th of July so I was worried about that too but we have had no problems with attendance or anything and no one has grumbled that I am aware of. :)

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Absolutely fine both practically and etiquette-wise.
  • I wouldn't worry one second about it. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think it's ok.  It's an important day for a lot of people, but it's not as if you're doing it the day before Easter or around Thanksgiving or something.  Work on getting your "big" things booked (venue(s), officiant, caterer, etc), and once that's done you can let people know your plans.  As long as there aren't any issues among your VIPs, go for it!
  • We got married on Father's Day Weekend with no problems at all. Just check with your VIPs to make sure they don't have any super-important mother's day plans that they do every single year.
  • It's not a problem in my opinion.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I don't have a problem with it.

There is a possibility that guests may, but there is nothing rude about getting married on Mother's Day or inviting others to celebrate with you.
  • We got married on Father's Day Weekend with no problems at all. Just check with your VIPs to make sure they don't have any super-important mother's day plans that they do every single year.
    We did this too.
  • There's nothing wrong with it. The day before Mother's Day is not a holiday. I'd consider another date if you have a lot of moms coming from out-of-town though. People might not like having to use Mother's Day as a travel home day.
  • Years ago, a co-worker selected Mother's Day weekend for her wedding.  She could NOT get a florist who would do her flowers.  At all, no way, no how and she tried everything she could think of.  She ended up with silk ones.  Just something to think about.
  • Etiquette wise, I think you're fine. I don't know if it's just NC, but here most college graduations are held Mother's Day weekend (one graduation was even held at 9am on Mother's Day!) so you may want to consider the fact that some guests may have children/grandchildren graduating that may interfere with your wedding.
  • I think your fine as long as you let you VIP's know early.  But I had a friend get married the weekend before Mother's Day and her florist told her that flowers are marked up the weeks before and after so just something to think about. 
  • No etiquette breach doing this.
    But you might have more declines from OOT guests than you'd normally have if they choose to spend the weekend with their moms instead. That goes for any holiday weekend.
    But no weekend is perfect for everyone. As long as your VIPs are cool with it, and you can deal with the flower concerns as PP have mentioned, you're good to go!
  • walgrrlwalgrrl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    One of my best friends got married the Saturday before Mother's Day several years ago.  She didn't have any problems because of it.  I was a bridesmaid and it was on out-of-state wedding for me, so I made sure to order flowers ahead of time to be delivered to my mom on Mother's Day since I wouldn't be there in person on that day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That was my original date (2013) because me and my fiance were officially bf/gf on may 11th. We decided not to get married on this date for 2 reasons.. I for one take my mom out on saturdays. and Flowers and everything will be more expensive because its on mothers day weekend.
  • My friend's mom and step dad were married this year on that Saturday. I would have gone if I didn't have my sister's baby shower that day. As long as you realize some places might charge more because IG is Mother's Day weekend and you cleared it with your VIPs, I say NBD!
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • We were married the day before Mother's Day, with no issues at all. You may need to book your florist early, but that's about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards