Wedding Etiquette Forum

Veil blusher - redundant?

We're doing a first look, and photos before the wedding because the ceremony is at sunset. I always just assumed I'd walk down the aisle w/ the blusher over my face, but my mom just made a good point that I'm "not virginal" and my FI will have already seen me - for a good hour. She thinks the blusher is redundant (or "hoaky" in her word...). Would love your thoughts.

Re: Veil blusher - redundant?

• tlc35tlc35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I think that if you want to wear a blusher, you should. I don't think it is hoaky at all. Of course it is not necessary but if it is the way you want to walk down the aisle, go for it.
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with using the blusher if you want to. 

Even those who are "virginal" (!! seriously mom?) and don't do a first look have undoubtedly laid eyes on each other prior to the wedding day.  Seeing as how that's the actual origin of the blusher none of us should use them.  You know, because our FIs/Hs actually met us before the wedding day....

I didn't do a blusher b/c I didn't really like the way it looks in photos and didn't want my dad to have to try to figure out how to flip it back gracefully, but I think if you want it you should do it, regardless.

• I don't think it matters if you do a first look and still want to walk down the aisle with the blusher. The only time I think wearing a blusher is inappropriate is for a second wedding, and that's mainly down to tradition. If you've got a veil with a blusher I don't see why you shouldn't use it.
  • Thanks ladies! it's my mom's veil (love it! I wish i could fit into her tiny dress, but it's better than nothing). I'm going to see how it looks when I have my fitting next week.

My other hesitation now is that we're getting married at the end of a long lawn, the veil is already cathedral length and i'm honestly a bit klutzy, so it might be in my best interest to have a clear field of vision :)

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    You will be able to see fine out of the blusher. But I would practice walking with your veil on, in the grass or at least carpet. If it is cathedral length, odds are there will be a slight pull on the veil while you are walking.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Aw, I wore my mom's veil (with the blusher!) too. Honestly, I didn't think it got in the way of my vision that much. The only thing I'd consider if I were you is getting a different veil or headpiece for the reception - wearing something that long all night could get annoying. I bought a cheap veil on etsy that I wore the rest of the evening.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • such good tips - I really appreciate it.
  • hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    I don't think it matters if you are "virginal" or not. Either way your FI will be seeing you as his wife/ soon to be wife for the first time during the first look so your "virginal" in that sense. Lol. I personally love the idea of a blusher and I don't think it is redundant. I feel it adds a little extra element of romance or intimacy - especially if you're having a sunset ceremony.
  • Oh that sounds lovely that it's your mom's veil! Don't let her talk you out of wearing it how you want to.
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Yes, wear it how you will, and it is so awesome that you are wearing your mom's veil.  I'm wearing my friend's veil from her wedding - it's my something borrowed.
    I also could not fit into my mom's tiny dress.  She was very petite when she got married, and I can't even get my arms in the sleeves. 

• wear the blusher if you want to. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• We're doing a first look, and photos before the wedding because the ceremony is at sunset. I always just assumed I'd walk down the aisle w/ the blusher over my face, but my mom just made a good point that I'm "not virginal" and my FI will have already seen me - for a good hour. She thinks the blusher is redundant (or "hoaky" in her word...). Would love your thoughts.

I agree with all the OPs but wanted to comment because this literally made me LOL - it's exactly something my mom would say. *eye roll* 
  • Bayside, are you having a Jewish wedding?  For some reason I thought you were (sorry if I'm wrong), and if so, there are reasons to wear the veil in the Jewish tradition that have nothing to do with being virginal.  We did a veiling ceremony, and it was a nice moment for us.  I can give you the explanation we put in our program if you want.  

But I say, generally, wear it if you want.  I had a cathedral length veil and a blusher, and I had no vision issues.  My hairdresser put the veil on for me when my hair was done, and then I took it off when we were bustling my dress.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards