Louisiana-New Orleans

February 22, 2014 Date - Mardi Gras Conflict?

Hi fellow New Orleans brides! I'm planning from out of town and visited last weekend and found a venue we love - but it is only available on Feb 22. Mardi Gras falls on March 4 this year, so the 22nd isn't the huge parade weekend, but I'm wondering if it will still be busier / harder to get around than usual? Also do you think hotels and flights will be much pricier? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: February 22, 2014 Date - Mardi Gras Conflict?

• Yes because there will still be parades that weekend and streets around the French Quarter will be hard to get through. Prices definitely go up during Mardi Gras season. You could try Audubon or City parks. They are away from the parade scene.
  • I'm sure a Mardi Gras wedding will be tons of fun for your guests, but it will be a logistical headache.  Personally I would reschedule it for another time.  There are parades every night for the two weeks leading up to Mardi Gras.
  • Flights and hotel rooms will be more expensive. Parking and getting around will also be a hassle!
  • February 22nd isn't the weekend before Mardi Gras. It's 2 weeknds before.  I've been to a wedding during that period and don't remember anything unbearable.  You can just look up flight and hotel prices and see what they're like.  There are only 2 parades on that Saturday if memory serves me correctly.  A section of Canal is closed for a few hours, not the whole city,
  • Parades start 2 weekends before Mardi Gras, so yes Feb 22 is a big weekend for parades, especially since Saturday & sunday is mostly an all day thing. Canal Street and surrounding streets would be closed to traffic. Prices go up and crowds are there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards