Michigan-Detroit
Options

fondant cake?

Anyone have or will be having a fondant cake?We are debating because they look so nice but we have heard taste so gross.If not fondant what are you having whipped or butter cream? Thanks!

Re: fondant cake?

• Options

Fondant is really all about the looks, not about the taste. Because it's "moldable" they can do cool things with it, but it really doesn't taste that great.

Buttercream is what most bakeries use. You do have to be careful if you are having an outdoor reception because it can have a tendency to break down and get "squishy". If you want just a few decorations, a good bakery can do a few fondant flowers or other creations on a buttercream frosted cake.

Check into Holiday Market in Royal Oak on Main St. They catered our entire wedding and their bakery made the cake. We had 4 different cake fillings to choose from (we just wanted yellow cake, but they have other flavors) and between my fiance and 2 kids, we all picked a different favorite. We went with Passion Fruit Mousse because it's what my husband wanted, and we got rave reviews for it. I think the cake was around $170 for 100 people, but we didn't have anything fancy, just a 2 layer round.

• Options
    Agree with Sue. I went to a wedding where the cake was pretty terrible, and a big part of it was that I'm almost positive the frosting was fondant. If you have a really specific/complicated cake in mind, fondant might be your only option, but personally I'd stick to buttercream. If you do go for fondant, I would ask to taste test a fondant sample cake so that you know what you're getting into.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Frosting all the way!!!  I too am using Holiday Market for my cake and their frosting is delicious!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards