Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Bachelorette Party Icebreakers?

I'm MOH in my sister's wedding coming up.  I asked her some ideas she would like to do for the bachelorette party, and she came up with a list: tour and tastings in a local brewery, dinner and drinks in the next town over, maybe some karaoke.  Anyways, she suggested that I come up with games or icebreakers (for lack of better word) for the bridesmaids since they aren't really familiar with each other.  I was in Barnes and Noble today and saw some Adult Mad Libs (my sister and I were obsessed with Mad Libs when we were kids, so it would be a nice homage) that we could possibly do at dinner to help break the ice.  Are there any other activities or fun things you guys would suggest? I don't want the dinner to be crickets chirping.

Re: Bachelorette Party Icebreakers?

• I would skip any type of forced interaction. Most adults know how to engage in conversation and find something to discuss. I would just start a conversation at dinner and naturally let it develop. I know some people who would absolutely hate being forced into an icebreaker/game, and that would set them in a bad mood for the rest of the day. All the girls there are friends of the bride, so they at the very least have that in common! 
  • Alcohol is always a good ice breaker. I don't know if I'd necessarily do games though. Hopefully since your sister liked all these girls, they'll get along. 

It might be a good idea to start the day with the brewery tour. Activities are always better than having to stare at people you don't know over dinner. Think of it like you would a first date instead of a campy meet and greet. 

• PDKH said:
    Alcohol is always a good ice breaker. I don't know if I'd necessarily do games though. Hopefully since your sister liked all these girls, they'll get along. 

It might be a good idea to start the day with the brewery tour. Activities are always better than having to stare at people you don't know over dinner. Think of it like you would a first date instead of a campy meet and greet. 

I agree with this. Start with the local brewery or what ever activity and let normal human interaction happen.
  • Yep! that's what I planned on doing anyways..Thanks ladies! :)
  • I have done those adult mad libs and I think that would actually be fun. It's not like it's a "two truths and a lie" sort of getting to know you game. It's a good opportunity to laugh. So I actually vote for getting those mad libs and whipping them out over dinner or drinks - but that's it. Nothing else is really appropriate for a group of adult ladies that will probably get along fine.
  • I myself enjoyed Mad Libs as a kid and would enjoy them now, but probably not at a bachelorette party unless the vast majority of the guests did.  But many people don't like to play games at adult parties-especially of the "icebreaker" variety.  They come off too much like corporate teamwork events.  I'd run this idea by guests who have accepted the invitation before going ahead with it.
  • Mad libs would be fun during dinner if everyone is down. Definitely start with an activity - like the brewery - first though!
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    The key is a good bachelorette. After all, she's the one who knows everyone. My MOH got me good and tipsy for mine and I was the life of the party introducing everyone and participating in the silly games or whatever (something about getting a guy twice my age to buy me a drink...something about kissing a bald guy's head...idk...)
  • Ditto the dirty mad libs. They're always a good time.
    Maybe have everyone introduce themselves and their relationship to the bride when you get to the brewery if the group isn't too large (like 15 max)? I wouldn't do games though, it's not summer camp.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Mad Libs (doesn't have to be dirty) is a really funny idea. I'm anti-forced fun so mandatory games rub me the wrong way. 

Maybe your ice breaker doesn't have to have forced participation. If you're meeting at your house beforehand, you could ask the bride if she's ok with providing childhood/baby pictures of herself and fun facts about her childhood (i.e. "here's a pictures of Jane when she was 11 - this was the year she decided she wanted to be an astronaut and went to space camp"). It's key that she's cool with it. Put out a few of these and offer people a glass of wine while you wait for everyone to arrive. That might be a conversation starter for people that want to engage with others (and not for people who don't).
    *********************************************************************************

• There's nothing worse than being forced to interact with strangers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mad Libs (doesn't have to be dirty) is a really funny idea. I'm anti-forced fun so mandatory games rub me the wrong way. 

Maybe your ice breaker doesn't have to have forced participation. If you're meeting at your house beforehand, you could ask the bride if she's ok with providing childhood/baby pictures of herself and fun facts about her childhood (i.e. "here's a pictures of Jane when she was 11 - this was the year she decided she wanted to be an astronaut and went to space camp"). It's key that she's cool with it. Put out a few of these and offer people a glass of wine while you wait for everyone to arrive. That might be a conversation starter for people that want to engage with others (and not for people who don't).
    I really don't mean to offend, but if I came over to someone's house for a bachelorette party and the bride's sister was showing me baby pictures, I would think it was really odd. 

But the wine is a great idea. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards