Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Fisherman's knot ceremony

Has anyone ever been to a wedding with a fisherman's knot ceremony? My fiancée is a fisherman by trade...and I love the symbolism behind a fisherman's knot and using it in a ceremony....but I worry that it will be really tedious for our guests to watch this. I hadn't heard of it before I saw it on Pinterest (I know, I know....Pinterest is the devil). But the symbolism is really amazing...and since his livelihood is such a big part of our lives...it might be nice. And then I come back to "do you really want to put your guests through watching you "tie the knot" (literally)" especially when they may not understand the symbolism. Thoughts?
*** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fisherman's knot ceremony

• I think, since you're doing this FOR A REASON, it would be lovely. I'd just put a note in the program about what you're doing and why and what it means to you as a couple. If you're not doing programs, have your officiant explain what you're doing and why. I think people would think it was fun and interesting.

Maybe you can be tying the knot AS you say your vows? Like, each line of the vows, "I drexelkathy," (make a loop), "take you drexelkathy's FI" (make a loop), "to be my lawfully wedded husband," (make a loop). I have no idea how many loops there are in a fisherman's knot, so my idea might not be any good, but there you have it.

Also, if your fiance is male, he's a fiance with one 'e'. You, as a woman, get the double -ee ending.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • This is an awesome idea since its at actually makes sense! I agree with lemclane- it wont be awkward if there is an explanation.

Also your FI will definitely appreciate the thought you put into doing something relating to his (your) livelihood!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards