Ohio-Columbus

Great DJ (not your typical wedding DJ)

I've been to one wedding where I really loved the DJ.  The DJ is in LA, so I'm hoping a similar kind of DJ can be found in Ohio.  The DJ was great because he kept everyone dancing (young and old)... playing top hits, oldies, etc.  He could read the audience and play the right songs.  There was no announcements, nothing.  He also played vinyl and mixed the songs together really nicely.

Anyone like him in the area? 

Re: Great DJ (not your typical wedding DJ)

• I wouldn't toss around your DJ budget - don't want someone taking advantage... however, for $3000 you would probably be able to bring in the DJ you liked.  Make THAT offer.

Locally, Encore Entertainment, Mark Dantzer, Night Music DJs, are probably the hippest DJs that I'm aware of....

• I wish we could fly him over, but he is in LA and not available on that weekend.

Here is the type of music he plays: http://www.theflashdance.com/index.cfm?catID=11

Play the clip "ace hotel danceparty"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_great-dj-not-your-typical-wedding-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:10c308ae-5d77-445d-9d7a-2f9ce3f176c2Post:f1b21f9c-b722-4730-8649-885a54f56735">Re: Great DJ (not your typical wedding DJ)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish we could fly him over, but he is in LA and not available on that weekend. Here is the type of music he plays: <a href="http://www.theflashdance.com/index.cfm?catID=11" rel="nofollow">http://www.theflashdance.com/index.cfm?catID=11</a> Play the clip "ace hotel danceparty"
    Posted by sebmarietta[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yep - he's hip, that's for sure!  </div><div>
    </div><div>Don't get too caught up in the idea of vinyl, etc...   Mostly, you want a DJ who isn't a goober, and will listen to you, and will happily shut the heck up for the dance party portion.  When contacting potential DJs, try this - instead of saying "how much?" how about "do you know who The Dirty Projectors are? "  (Or name check some other alt band, or ask what was the last concert you went to , just to see if potential DJ has any knowledge of world outside of Love Shack).</div><div>
    </div><div>I think it's possible to get a cool DJ in Ohio ...</div><div>

</div>
  • We used Rob with Encore and found him to be not your typical DJ.  He took care of all the MC work and was not cheesy at all.  I don't think he uses vinyl but his music and mixes were exactly what we were looking for.
  • Thank you!  I really appreciate all the feedback.  This site rocks!  I got in touch with Encore and DJ nights.  We are a bit atraditional and don't need any MC work.  We just want the music.  I will take the approach that "donethat' suggested... ask what music they listen to etc.
  • If anyone has any other recommendations, please feel free to post. :-)

Someone who can blend and mash music would be awesome.
  • You might want to check out 

Definitely an ecclectic mix. She's got a bunch of playlists you can preview too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey Janellegt13 > Thanks for the lead.  I contacted her.  She seems to play a mix of everything that I like, which is a great sign!  :-)  I'll let you know. 

If anyone has any other suggestions of hip or ecclectic DJs... keep them coming. I'm not from the area so I have no clue... but I'm sure they are out there!

Thanks everyone!
  • Just checking in... waiting for a demo mix from The good two shoes and one from Encore entertainment.  Anybody have a cool wedding dj that mixed music really well?
  • Dj T.Brown 614-207-3146 I used to work with him.
  • OhioBride > thanks for the advice.  I am waiting for his demo mix.

I'd really appreciate any other suggestions.  Unfortunately, people are either booked or don't have a demo mix ready for me to know if I like them.  I hope DJ T Brown or Encore can come through, but it's always best to have a plan B if they don't.
  • Np did you receive his demo yet?
  • OhioBride2013 > Yes I did.  I liked his mix!  I am going to speak with him tomorrow.  Anything you can tell me about him?  I couldn't find any information online.  Did he perform at your wedding?  What is he like performing, etc.?
  • Sorry just seeing this. He used to be my co-worker and did parties and events of people I know. He is very energetic and good at what he does. Unfortunately he is not available for my wedding. Glad you liked his work.
  • I know a DJ he can use strictly vinyl or both. He can mix with or without the technology has been featured in Capitol Magazine for one of the top wedding in 2011. He is a tour DJ as well has worked many weddings etc. Loves the West Coast lol,  He has been Dj'ing for over 15 years and I guess if you are interested you can call DJ Drastic 614-517-9709. Reasonable prices and ofcourse he can tell you the rest lol. Good luck hun
  • I think the numbers right lol if not the email address is drastic1200@hotmail.com. In reference to my above post GOOD LUCK with whomever you choose.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards