July 2013 Weddings

Went to a wedding on Saturday. . . got some ideas/tips.

The wedding was BEAUTIFUL and it seemed as if the couple's day went off without a hitch. I know she worked very hard to plan her wedding in MI from NC and it all came together nicely. However, as I guest, I noticed some things that would have made my experience nicer. I thought I'd share them here in case they could help any of you. . .

1. The officiant REALLY needed a mic, and the DJ had one so I am not sure why it wasn't used. I couldn't hear a single word he or the couple said. 
2. There were no signs directing guests from the front of the venue (which was a restaurant) to the ceremony space or from the ceremony space to the reception space. I got lost and had to find a staff member who could direct me to the space. (I totally recognize that this is really on the venue's plate. . . but I'm pretty sure if I had shown up and there were no signs, I'd have a) demanded they make some temporary ones, or b) made them and hung them myself.)
3. She sent out invites for this wedding in February, which meant I picked my meal in February and had NO idea what I had asked for. The wait staff knew how many of each plate was at each table, but it was a little like an auction with all of us trying to figure out what we'd ordered. She definitely should have marked the place cards in some way so the wait staff knew which meal to give to which person. 
4. They didn't get out on the dance floor ALL night, and neither did their wedding party. I realize you need to visit with your guests, but if you want to have any sort of party you need to at least have your wedding party out there encouraging others to dance. 

Re: Went to a wedding on Saturday. . . got some ideas/tips.

• Thanks for the tips!  A couple questions about the officiant/mic thing... we were actually going to not have a mic, but that's because we'll have less than 100 people and we're both pretty loud people. We also tested the space in a regular speaking voice. Was the space you were in just too large? Or was it because they really just didn't realize they weren't talking loud enough?
  • Wheels987 said:
    Thanks for the tips!  A couple questions about the officiant/mic thing... we were actually going to not have a mic, but that's because we'll have less than 100 people and we're both pretty loud people. We also tested the space in a regular speaking voice. Was the space you were in just too large? Or was it because they really just didn't realize they weren't talking loud enough?
    There were only 80 or so people in attendance. We were outdoors along a small river with boats going by, people talking below, and a softball game going on across the river. I could tell the officiant was speaking as loudly as he could but I still couldn't hear much. 
  • Thanks for the tips!  That last one was especially good for me to hear.  I'm not the "get up and dance" type unless it's a very small group of people-which is definitely not my wedding!  I hadn't thought about it before, so I need to make sure I dance!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards