South Asian Weddings

Mehndi Party outfit help

I have a beautiful earring and necklace set form FMIL that she gave to FI to give to me almost a year ago (she was being nice and vaguely accepting at the time), and it's been sitting in my jewelry box being not worn. It's pretty, but it's too dressy for my everyday style. Here's a photo of the pendant. The color's a little hard to tell, but it's lavender.

I'm planning to wear it to the mehndi party, and (as silly as this sounds), finding something that I like that it will play nice with is proving challenging. I want something Indian, or at least Indian-inspired. I considered a sari, but I don't want to wear something that I'll be fiddling with all night and risk smudging the artist's hard work. I've been looking for salwars and churidar suits with little luck in something coordinating or matching. I did find one that I really liked (matched the purple in the stone almost perfectly), but I'm not so willing to spend $122 plus shipping and stitching charges on it.

Are there any other things I could look into, or any places/websites I could look? I've checked sareemax, utsavsarees, and sarijewels already with little luck. I'm only having my arms henna'ed, so it needs short sleeves, but covered legs aren't a problem.

Thanks in advance!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mehndi Party outfit help

• meelabeelameelabeela member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my mehndi outfit from here.  Some of the pries are high but there are some discounted suits and you can also call her to see what else she has in stock that isn't on the website.  Hope this helps :)

http://www.meenalsindianfashions.com/index.htm
  • edited December 2011
    I've purchased quite a few salwar kameez suits on ebay at http://stores.ebay.com/ladylinelifestyle.  They have a lot of inexpnsive options that could work for a less formal mehndi party.  There are a lot of hideous ones, but there are some really pretty ones mixed in. :)
  • edited December 2011
    try anarkali outfits, they are great for the mehndi party.
    dont be afraid to contrast your jewelery with your clothing, if you're having a hard time finding the same color outfit, you can always find and outfit of a contrasting color.

(makes the jewelery pop more)

I would recommend ebay as well, I sell my indian outfits on ebay too, maybe you can find something.

good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards