Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Italy vs. Hawaii

We are planning to get married next year and though not much else has really been planned, my family has announced that as a wedding gift they will pay for our honeymoon to Hawaii. We were ecstatic and super grateful, I had been there before once and adored it, but my fiancé has only heard about it (mostly from me, heheh). 
Today my cousins announced that they'd like to offer us a gift of staying at their spare condo in Italy for our honeymoon. I feel like a jerk because even though my whole family is excited for me, I am not. I had my heart settled on Hawaii. But if we go to Italy, the only thing my family has to pay for is the flight since food and stay would be provided by my cousins. Money isn't necessarily an issue, but of course I do not want to blow my parents' money on a seemingly selfish expenditure.
Any thoughts? Has anyone been to either place and any recommendations? We're roughly thinking of going at the end of June, beginning of July.

Re: Italy vs. Hawaii

• Options
    We're honeymooning in Italy.

A friend of ours recommended we fly into Rome and spend the day checking out all the touristy type of locations, have a luxurious dinner, spend the night in a swanky hotel, then in the morning we are going to rent a car and spend the rest of the week driving down south. Stop at small motels, see the countryside, walk through small towns, and actually 'experience' Italy.

We will eventually end in Sicily and fly home from there. I can't wait. We don't like touristy type areas and we can't stand crowds so this seems like the perfect way to do it for us.

Either way, your dilemma would be a pretty nice one to be in ;)
  • Options
    No? Why's that?
  • Options
    Oh no maybe I wasn't clear. We won't be driving in Rome itself but out of Rome. On the country roads.
  • Options

Driving in Italy even outside of Rome scares the crap out of me. It can be done, as pps mentioned, but when I was there (Northern Italy/Lake Como region) and driving, I literally was in tears. It's every man for himself! Plus, I had my own personal car (did a Euro delivery program), which made things worse.

That being said, Italy and Hawaii are two totally different places. Since it will be July, and quite warm, and of course more crowded, Hawaii will be much more comfortable, IMHO. I just got back from Kauai this week, and have been to a few other islands there, and just feel that in the heat, it's better to be laying by a pool or a beach than sightseeing and walking all over town. It will really come down to personal preference, but you can alway just tell your family that you are thrilled about the gift of going to Italy, but are concerned about the time of year you'll be there.

• Options
    Good to know. Our friend said stay out of the city and offered to give us a map of where he went. We will take him up on that offer.
    Thanks for the advice :)
  • Options

ive been a few times over the last 5 years.

as for rome-meh-it's not all that bad for driving although in center city there's no point. parts of sicily were the same and worse and i did just fine.

imo your plan needs a lot more planning. theres also no Fing way in hell you'd get me there in height of hot season and tourist season. i'vebeen 2x in late sept/early october and the weather is still warm but it's much much quieter and cheaper. i've also been late jan/early feb and it was great. no lines. we were alone in the sistine chapel.

• Options
    SandraSandra member
    5 Love Its First Comment

Since you have been already in Hawaii, What not try Italy instead?  It is one of the most romantic places on earth!

Take advantage of the moment and go and see something you haven´t seen before. 

Do not miss the chance to experience Italy.

• Options
    I vote for Italy.  It's my favorite country that I've ever visited.  Excellent food, excellent wine, kind people, gorgeous countryside, rich history, gorgeous art and monuments.... I cannot wait to go back.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I've been to Hawaii several times and will always go back when given the chance, I love it there.  It would be a fantastic HM destination.  I'm also going to Italy next month and am extremely excited for it!

That being said, it really depends on what type of HM you are looking for.  Both places would be amazing and romantic, but they are so different as to the types of activities you can do.  If you want to kick back and relax, Hawaii might be the better option.  But if you want to do more sight-seeing, then Italy is great.

Whichever you choose, perhaps you can decline the other with hopes of them letting you use it at some point in the future, like your first anniversary?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Both are wonderful places and you would have an amazing time in either place. I personally would want to go to Hawaii.
  • Options
    We went back and forth between Europe and Hawaii for our honeymoon. We ended up choosing to go to Hawaii and we don't regret it at all! Our typical vacations are overseas to Europe, so we wanted to do something special and extra relaxing for our honeymoon. I know if we were to go to Europe, we wouldn't have relaxed nearly enough with all of the hustle and bustle of siteseeing. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards