Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Groomsmen & Best Man

Hi all,
I will be having a maid of honor - my sister, then four other bridesmaids.  My fiance has 5 groomsmen, but doesn't really want to name a best man.  That really doesn't bother me.  The original plan had just been to match up people by height (since my sister is very tall) and personality, but, obviously it's against tradition toi not have a best man.  
The ring isn't going to be carried down the aisle, but will already be at the alter.  Unless I am just not thinking of it - the best man duties would pretty much consist of leading the planning on the Bachelor Party stuff.  Or what am I missing?  Is it a bad idea to not have a best man?  
Thoughts?  

Re: Groomsmen & Best Man

• Options
    There are no 'duties' other than show for for the wedding in the suit and sober. If a groomsmen wants to throw a bach party, they'll do it. If not, your fiance just won't have one since planning parties for yourself is tacky. This is a non issue. 
  • Options
    Good news! There aren't really any Best Man duties (there are no bridesmaid or MOH duties either FYI). It's no one's job to plan a bachelor party. 

All he has to do is show up on time, sober, in the proper attire, and be ready to take pictures. The best man does virtually the same thing as a regular groomsman; this is especially true since he wont even be holding your ring.  

I'm not having a MOH and I'm pretty sure my fiance wont end up picking a best man. No big deal. 
  • Options

Your FI does not have to have a Best Man.  There are no "duties" involved in being a Best Man.

Whoever ends up standing next to your FI on the day of your wedding will be the one to recess out with your MOH.  Or your MOH could walk alone both in and out of the ceremony and then just pair two guys with one girl.

• Options
    We're having neither MOH nor BM at our wedding - a bachelorette party and a bachelor party were still held, organized by members of the bridal party. If he doesn't want to pick someone, it's really not a big deal.
  • Options
    My husband only had one attendant, and she liked to call herself the best man. She isn't a man, obviously, and as his only attendant, had no reason to be the "best" of the attendants. I had 2 bridesmaids and no maid of honor. 

So to answer your question, no, it's not a "bad idea" to not have a best man b/c a best man is not a requirement. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I personally believe "tradition" is all relative.  There is hardly any tradition any more and it's your wedding.  it should be all about you and what you and your FI want for your wedding.  Since there are no specific duties for any one person in your party then do what you want and go from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards