Outdoor Weddings

Dance floor or no dance floor?

We're renting a HUGE party tent for the reception (250 people)....and we're stuck on whether or not to include a dance floor. I've heard good and bad things about them. Would it be a problem to just have people dance on the grass? We're having a semi-formal country wedding (my girls are wearing short dresses with cowboy boots)...so it'll be more casual than super formal...but I kinda feel bad expecting people to dance on the grass...although I think it'd be fun to just kick off our shoes and have fun! What do you think??

Re: Dance floor or no dance floor?

• I've seen it done both ways.  Unfortunately the wedding where there was no dancefloor occurred after a week of steady rain, on a day where it was raining outside.  The "dancefloor" became a mudpit of epic proportions and destroyed my FMIL's backyard. 

At the wedding with the dancefloor it was nice and worked out just fine - the grass was also dry though so it might not have been such a mess.

I am also having a tented backyard wedding but since the dancefloor prices in my area are higher than the price of the tent ($1900 - ridiculous!) we are planning on DIYing it and having my Dad and brother knock one together out of finished particle board.  Supplies will cost about $300 for a 20x20 floor and my Dad is planning on reusing it for a new shed floor afterwards.
  • We're not having a dance floor, but just will have our guests dancing on the grass. 
  • I would at least consider the dance floor.  My junior prom was outside in a tent, and we had a dance floor but it was too small for everyone.  It made a huge difference being on the grass - any heel at all, even a small one, really gets stuck in the ground, and if you have satin or other fabric shoes they get really stained and dirty.  You can even get grass stains on your dress.  Not all of your guests will be thinking about these things when getting dressed.  Plus there's the possibility of rain and mud.  A lot of people just gave up on dancing because the actual dance floor was too crowded and most people left early.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • unless you're providing guests with flip flops for dancing in, i'd get a dancefloor.
  • FI and I have been mulling over this also, I say dance floor, he says no.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • we are getting a dancefloor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards