Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Premartial Counseling Reads

Hi,
My fiance and I are not getting married in a church - and therefore don't have mandated premartial counseling.
I have heard from a lot of brides that they enjoyed premarital counseling and that it encouraged alot of insightful communication.
I am wondering if any brides/officiants have a recommendation for a good premartial book that would help us get these conversations going on our own?

Thank you!

Re: Premartial Counseling Reads

• Options

The book our marital class had us use is 'The 5 Love Languages' by Gary Chapman. We borrowed the book from my SIL, as she took the same marital class as us, and she said she really enjoyed it! We aren't scheduled to go to our class until May 4, so I haven't read it quite yet, but the reviews are good! :) 
  • Options
    Our pastor used the book "The Meaning of Marriage" by Tim Keller.  We liked it a lot.

I also highly reccomend "For Couples Only" by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn.  It's a boxed set of the books "For Women Only" and "For Men Only" which basically talk about things men don't understand about women and things men don't understand about women.  Very eye opening and just great information!
  • Options
    I've read both of the books previous posters mentioned. I loved the love languages book. For me, it was a very good way of looking at people's different preferences in relationships.

For Women Only had some good practical advice as well. However, if I recall correctly (it's been a few years) her books may have a religious slant to them. Since you aren't getting married in a church, I wasn't sure how you might feel about that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The only book we read for premarital counseling is "Sheet Music" by Dr. Kevin Leman.  Basically, the guy believes that your sex life can make or break your marriage, and it's like a diy for sex.  It's interesting... It is very religious though.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We really benefited from reading The Five Love Languages.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing these!
  • Options
    Right now I am reading the book called "saving your marriage before it starts" its by Drs Les and Leslie Parrott.  We are reading it in our counseling but its a very good book
  • Options
    I notice that the title of your thread is "Premartial Counseling Reads."  I guess books on war could be useful before you get sent off to fight in one, but I think the word you meant was "premarital" ?
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs about the Five Languages of Love & Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Got Married are both really great books!

I am going to look into the questions book!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CLICKY This program is administered by counselors, priests, ministers, social workers, etc. We really enjoyed it, and it got us talking about lots of different things.

You can't do a self-assessment, but there's a search on the side by zip code, and there are a buttload of people in Los Angeles (clergy, counselors, therapists, social workers, marriage educators, etc.) who are facilitators for that program. You could always find someone to administer and facilitate it for you.
  • Options
    The pastor doing our counseling is having us read "Getting the Love you Want" by Harville Hendrix. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Passionate Marriage by David Schnarch.
    The Conscious Bride and the Conscious Bride's Wedding Planner.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards