New Jersey
Options

Teacher Brides!

I just got engaged on 12/22 and my biggest problem is deciding when to get married.  I've always wanted a Fall wedding, but I'm not sure if it would be a disaster to take a few days off during November during school.  We want a Friday wedding.

How many days before the wedding do you need off to get things done/relax? I was thinking 2?

Any teachers have ideas for good times to get married with school breaks?  I really don't want a hot summer wedding, but if it's the least stressful way....I may do it. 

Thank You!!!!

Re: Teacher Brides!

• Options
    Hi Jess,

My sister is a teacher and got married on a Fri night last Nov--it was the Friday before Thanksgiving so she only had to take off about 3 days the wk of her honeymoon.  I am pretty sure she also only took the day of her wedding day off, if not, only the Thurs. before.  She was still pretty new in the school and they totally understood!
  • Options
    I am a nursery school teacher and I am getting married on Friday in April.  I spoke to my building admin and she was alright with it.  I told them almost a year ina dvance and made sure I filled out all the paperwork.  You can do it during spring break or over the long weekend of teachers convention.  I would stay away from thanksgiving weekend though because many people go away to spend time with their families and you may not have some guests that you really want there.  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi and congrats! I always wanted a winter wedding so we got married February 18th of last year, over Presidents weekend. It was perfect because we had a Sat night wedding and I had that following Monday and Tuesday off from school. I also took that Thursday and Friday off before the wedding. I didnt get any flack because I used personal days and I have been there 17 years. They wouldnt have been able to do much about it anyway.  It was the perfect time for us because most people had Monday off from work so they used it as a long weekend away and travel day after. Plus winter weddings are cheaper. We got a Friday rate for Saturday night. You just need to be comfortable and ok with possible snow. We lucked out because last winter was the winter that didn't exist, much to my dismay.
    Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    Do you teach in Jersey? You could always get married the Saturday after teacher's convention, which is usually the first weekend in November.
  • Options
    Yeah I agree, do it the Friday or Saturday of teacher's convention weekend.  You might have to wait to go on your honeymoon, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
    DH and I are both teachers and we got married on a Saturday in March. We took off Thursday and Friday before and Monday after. It worked out fine. We went on our HM 3 weeks later during Spring Break. I must say the Friday of Teacher's Convention is a very popular day to get married. Last year we had 3 teachers get married that day.   There was also one planned for this year but had to be postponed due to Sandy.

PS check your districts policy. Mine gives a free wedding day so the day of your wedding or the day before or after for a weekend wedding is not counted as an absence.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm no help... I specifically chose July so I could have as much time before and after to get things done for the wedding to avoid taking off any days.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FI and I are both teachers, and took the path of least resistance - we're getting married in August to keep things simple. So no help from me either. Congrats on your engagement!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• Options
    I'm a teacher and am getting married the weekend before teacher's convention. FI and I didn't want a hot summer wedding and wanted a fall wedding. We usually have in service and off the week of teacher's convention.
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and specifically chose November 9, 2013 (Saturday the weekend of teachers convention), so I would have off a few days before and still have my fall wedding. :)
  • Options
    I'm actually curious about this topic too.. I am newly engaged, but I am only 22. I just graduated from college and am looking for a teaching job. We are waiting to get married until we have a house together and I have a full time teaching job, which I totally understand can be a while before that happens. Since I don't have the job yet, we haven't set a date, but we are thinking we'd like to do a late June wedding (after school is over) or an early September and wait on the honeymoon until winter break. Do you think a school would frown upon taking a few days off in the beginning of the school year to prepare? We're hoping to do a Friday night so I would want to take off at least Thursday if not Wednesday too. I don't want to wait until teacher's convention because I want to have my ceremony on the beach and it would be too cold!! Again we don't have a date so I don't even know if this will be the case, but I don't want to start off on a bad foot (we would not get married my first year on the job either.. we would wait until at least the second year).

Thanks!! And congrats to everyone!
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and getting married next June, the weekend after school is out.  I chose this so I didn't have to worry about taking off a week before and after the wedding.  However, a lot of my "teacher friends" have gotten married within the school year and then just wait until the first break to go on their honeymoon.  I'd say you would want to take off 3 days prior to your wedding to relax and prepare.  And obviously, at least one or two days after!  Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards