Registry and Gift Forum

When to Register

My fiance and I are old fashion and don't plan to move in together until we are married. We are going to find a place together a few months before the wedding. The dilemma is when to register. I know that we probably won't have the apartment until after I've sent the invitations out so I will have to register before that . However, I feel as though it would be difficult to register for things without really knowing how the place will look and what would look best there. Any suggestions?

Re: When to Register

• I registered ~7 months before the wedding date, because that is when you are "supposed to."  I now regret this a little bit, because: (1) my dinnerware set was discontinued about 3 weeks ago (my Mom and Grandmother stepped in and bought it all up before it went out of stock, but it was some stress I did not need,) and (2) I just had my first shower, and several people commented that when they went to BBB, not many of the items were actually in stock in the store.  I had no idea the inventory would turn over that quickly, but I went and swapped a few things out for the item that is actually currently in the stores. 

Nobody started buying stuff off of my registry until the invitations went out.  Bottom line, I think you are ok to register last minute, just make sure you do so before your invitations go out, or a month before your first shower.  If you are worried about stuff matching the apartment, I'll bet there will be some items you can register for where matching will not be an issue (pots and pans, etc.)  Register for that, and you can add the towels and decor items later.  Good luck!

• Thanks so much. I will be following that idea. I felt very hesitant about registering so early. I never even thought about things being discontinued, oh my God. I will wait until about 1 month before I send out the invitations. Thanks again :)
  • We registered because people kept asking us about it.  We keep an eye out on the registries for things that are being discontinued and such.  So far so good and people starting buying for us since like you OP, FI and I aren't moving in together until just before the wedding so we need everything.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards