Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Deciding on Reception Food

I just want opinion on different meals to serve at the reception. We are having our wedding June 7, 2014 ( ceremony outside & reception inside with a county/ rustic theme) and since it will be warm I figured it would have to be a late afternoon wedding, maybe starting around 5 or 5:30, which means dinner time. We are on a tight budget so there will be making all the food ourselves or possibly buying from a local restaurant. No onsite caterers. The 2 ideas I was thinking of were: Spaghetti with marinara or meatballs, salad, & bread or BBQ pork & chicken, baked beans, slaw, fries, & a roll. Should I just choose one of these or would having 2 totally different meals work? There will also be a cake and other desserts/ finger foods. 

Re: Deciding on Reception Food

• One thing you want to keep in mind is the mess factor. Even though your wedding in on the casual side, people won't want to risk getting BBQ sauce all over their clothing.
    *** This account is used by two people. Lila is bitchy and up late. Bonnie is sweet and helpful. Sorry if it confuses y'all. ***
  • AJ4ever08 said:
    I just want opinion on different meals to serve at the reception. We are having our wedding June 7, 2014 ( ceremony outside & reception inside with a county/ rustic theme) and since it will be warm I figured it would have to be a late afternoon wedding, maybe starting around 5 or 5:30, which means dinner time. We are on a tight budget so there will be making all the food ourselves or possibly buying from a local restaurant. No onsite caterers. The 2 ideas I was thinking of were: Spaghetti with marinara or meatballs, salad, & bread or BBQ pork & chicken, baked beans, slaw, fries, & a roll. Should I just choose one of these or would having 2 totally different meals work? There will also be a cake and other desserts/ finger foods. 

I think the bbq is a better option, personally.  Also, be careful about making your own food unless you have a professional kitchen and the ability to keep the foods the proper temperatures before and during the reception.  that isn't as easy as it sounds, and it will likely mean hiring someone to do that and refilling dishes during the reception.   You would probably be better off talking to restaurants (as you mentioned) about catering it and hiring them to maintain the dishes. 
  • I would do the BBQ for two reasons: 1) your theme and 2) simplicity. You can do pulled pork in a crockpot ahead of time. Coleslaw, baked beans, potato salad, fruit salad, rolls and a lot of other BBQ/picnic type things can all be made ahead of time also. 
    *********************************************************************************

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I would do BBQ beef and chicken versus the pork. More diversity.

Definitely have it catered in from a restaurant and check with your venue to make sure it's okay to not have food service staff on hand to maintain proper food temperatures.

Choose a restaurant that can make a vegan or vegetarian option should that situation arise.

• NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    What everyone else said. No spaghetti reception for a multitude of reasons.
  • I would go for the BBQ. Instead of baked beans, I'd suggest french cut green beans (less mess & "nicer" in my opinion) and nix the fries.
  • We're doing a bbq menu. Pulled pork, shredded chicken, potato salad, Mac & cheese, mixed veggies, coleslaw, rolls, veggie pasta salad, Caesar salad and veggie trays...we're doing all this for 125-130 people for $1500 and they will even include the paper plates and plastic ware if we wanted it by we're getting our own dinnerware. We figured out we're saving about $2500.00...and we're staying alcohol free we are doing it all outside ceremony and reception in a field at my cousins horse farm. We went and started googling pig roast and that's how we found someone cheaper and much better then a typical caterer for all of this
  • I would go to food websites to get ideas for wedding food. If you want invest in a great book, you may have to find on ebay...martha stewart bookra, her first wedding book has recipes in it.

pullpork on toast points....grilled wings......

stuffed chicken breast with spinach...bbq sauce
    pasta salad....ribbion pasta
    corn bread
    grilled pineapples

minicupakes....

• Thanks everyone! 
  • Since you're going to have finger foods, I'd go with the spaghetti and meatball option! Who doesn't love pasta?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards