Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Mother of the bride/mother of the groom.

Is there any rules of what dresses they have to wear? Like do they have to follow whatever rules that were made especially for them? 

Re: Mother of the bride/mother of the groom.

• Options
    There are no rules for the MOB or the MOG.
  • Options
    Nope - no rules. Check out the etiquette board to see how people feel about this one. It's pretty well frowned upon to dictate what they wear. They'll probably ask you though. You can just say, "Wear whatever you feel most comfortable wearing (style/color). I'm sure whatever you choose will be lovely."

Historically/Traditionally, the MOB picks her outfit first, shows the MOG and then the MOG will base her outfit off of the formality of the MOB's... However, that's kind of a dated tradition and pretty unnecessary with how easy it is to communicate these days.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

They can wear whatever they want, do not have to match in color or formality.

Mom wore a grey pencil skirt and fuschia cardi set

MIL wore a black and white cocktail dress

SMIL wore a floor length navy blue halter gown.

They all looked great in their own style.

• Options
    As long as they choose outfits of the appropriate formality for the occasion, and in keeping with any venue-set dress code, it is entirely up to the mothers what they wear. 

And even if they choose an inappropriate outfit, you can't really do anything about it except let it go.  Their choices reflect on them, not you.
  • Options
    imimblesimimbles member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013

You can't make any rules for them.

If they choose to wear white, or a black crepe 1800's mourning costume, it's on them and they will look foolish. Don't worry about it.

Edited: mourning not morning, durr.

• Options
    I wasn't going to make them wear anything. Its just someone mentioned that they had to coordinate their outfits. They can wear whatever they choose for all I care. I just wanted to know the etiquette of it is all. Thank you all! Very helpful!
  • Options
    Don't tell grown adults what to wear. 
  • Options
    yeah, no one was trying to tell anyone what to wear. 
  • Options
    My MIL wanted to know what kind of dress my mom was planning on wearing, but only so she could be sure not to be in something too similar or a different degree of formality, and to let my mom choose her outfit first (I guess maybe it's traditional to let the MOB take the lead, but this certainly is not a requirement). I was fine with whatever both of them wanted to wear.
  • Options
    EEY0RE9EEY0RE9 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2013
    I wasn't going to make them wear anything. Its just someone mentioned that they had to coordinate their outfits. They can wear whatever they choose for all I care. I just wanted to know the etiquette of it is all. Thank you all! Very helpful!
    At most of the weddings I have been to, the MOG and MOB were wearing outfits that were the same colors as the WP/wedding colors.  That's probably why someone was telling you that.  Our colors were dark and light purple.  My mom wore a dark purple dress and his mom wore a dark purple jacket over a black dress and their two shades of purple were almost identical!
    So, I would say it's very common for families to coordinate with WP colors, from what I've seen.  All of our grandparents except one of my grandfathers (who wore a black suit with a black tie and a white shirt) wore outfits that were at least 50% purple.
    Anyway, all that to say although it's very common for the MOG and MOB to end up coordinating, it's by no means required.  My MIL did not ask me anything about her outfit and picked it herself.  My mom mentioned to me what she was going to make for her outfit and I said "Oh that would be cool" or something along those lines.
    Sorry about all this grey.  I don't know how to get my typing outside the quote box.  Just the top box is quoted.
  • Options
    My mom called me one day and asked me what I wanted her to wear. What?? Then she explained that she felt more comfortable wearing pants and something about navy blue...

I had to listen for 5 minutes until I could very politely say, I DON'T CARE! Wear a fucking moomoo and a yamaka if you want to.

Anniversary

• Options
    haha! I actually told my FMIL that she can wear a moomoo if she wanted when she asked me what I wanted her to wear. It doesnt really matter to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards