Moms and Maids

Color for MOB dress

My bridesmaid dresses are a deep purple dupioni. I am trying to figure out what color would be best for my mom's dress. The wedding is in November and we are going for a clean, classic and elegant wedding. I think a neutral would wash her out too much. Any suggestions?

Re: Color for MOB dress

• Whatever color she feels comfortable in
  • I agree! But she is asking for my help and doesn't want to clash with the wedding colors.
  • mia78mia78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    At least she is asking for help, my future MIL wants to wear a white gown to my wedding.

• Anything goes with deep purple. With me, the color was determined by the dress I found that I loved.
  • The mothers choose their own color and style of dress. They aren't required to coordinate with each other, the wedding party or the decor. I agree with Mercedes, deep purple is one of those colors that will look fine with just about any other color.

@mia78 your FMIL's poor taste and manners will reflect poorly on her, not you. 

• I hold that deep purple is a neutral along with earth tones, black and grey. You picked a great color because so much will go with it.
    My mother wore a deep purple, my step mother wore a navy, my MIL wore black and my grandmothers wore champagne and bright purple. My bridesmaids were in dark silver. And everyone looked fab.
  • I hold that deep purple is a neutral along with earth tones, black and grey. You picked a great color because so much will go with it.
    My mother wore a deep purple, my step mother wore a navy, my MIL wore black and my grandmothers wore champagne and bright purple. My bridesmaids were in dark silver. And everyone looked fab.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    I don't think anything she chooses would clash. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree that nothing would clash. How about navy? A couple of my paler BMs chose navy because they feel washed out in brighter colors.
  • Jewel tones, maybe ... does she like deeper colors?
  • my colors were purple. My bridesmaids wore Plum.  My mom found a dress that was a purplish/burgundy that looked super-- kinda plumish but not the same as my bridesmaids.  My MIL wore a burgundy shade as well.  Both looked wonderful.  My mom also had a grey dress that she was going to wear but decided on the plum one instead.  The grey would have looked nice too.  My grandmother wore a pretty bluish/grey that looked very nice as well.  And my husbands grandmother wore a light pink that looked great. My MIL almost wore a lavender dress that looked beautiful but she wanted sleeves and could not find a bolero to cover her so went with the burgundy dress.  Silver or gold would look nice with purple--and oh my MIL almost wore a mauve color that looked very nice as well.  There are a lot of options that would look like with purple.  And while there is no requirement to compliment your wedding colors, I loved that our moms and grandmothers took it into consideration.  Heck even a lot of our guests wore purple which I thought was cool.  

Anniversary
  • This isn't something you need to worry about, but if you think she'll wear white or ivory or something ridiculous, maybe offer to go shopping with her and steer her in the direction of something you like? Besides general comments, there's nothing you can say about her final choice. 
  • mia78mia78 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    At least she is asking for help, my future MIL wants to wear a white gown to my wedding.

• My colors are purple and silver...My mom picked out a medium silver dress...she kept going back to it and couldn't figure out why. I reminded her the dress coordinates with mine - I have three ribbons that go across my dress, so does the dress she picked out.

What's she's bugging me about it the length. How long do I want her dress? How long is MOG dress? I have no idea, that is one detail I am not going to micro-manage. LOL

• I agree that dark purple goes well with most colors. I'm pretty sure my colors are going to be eggplant and silver, and my mom really wants to find a charcoal gray dress. Some other colors that I think would look nice: dark brown, navy, burgundy, lavender, royal blue, sage green.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards