Wedding Reception Forum

How many straws?

mfl002mfl002 member
First Comment
edited June 2013 in Wedding Reception Forum
Hello!

I am going to do some of those awesome striped paper straws at our reception, but how many should I purchase? Is there a good rule of thumb to follow for this?

Thank you!

Re: How many straws?

• I have no idea what you're talking about. What are they?

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ditto Addie.  I'm not sure what you're talking about either.
  • They're straws to drink from? And they're paper? 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013
    I bought like 800 of them for $20. They're thick paper. I tested a few as they work fine - they last one or two drinks, but they start to give out and get mushy at the top after that. I was kind of disappointed, but they cost me so little, so whatever. And I picked up some floral ones that were quite pretty.

Order 5-6 straws per guest.
  • Yeah I know what she's talking about. They're paper coated in something so as to be usable for a bit. We used them for recruitment.

Ditto, Zobird - I'd say at least 5 per guest to be on the safe side.
  • mfl002mfl002 member
    First Comment
    I'd say that sounds sensible. Thanks for the input!
  • zobird said:
    I bought like 800 of them for $20. They're thick paper. I tested a few as they work fine - they last one or two drinks, but they start to give out and get mushy at the top after that. I was kind of disappointed, but they cost me so little, so whatever. And I picked up some floral ones that were quite pretty. Order 5-6 straws per guest.
    OP - Why do you want mushy paper straws at your wedding?  

I think straws are best at a kid's birthday party.  And to have paper ones that are going to get soggy.....that doesn't scream classy wedding to me.
  • mfl002mfl002 member
    First Comment
    That seems like an unnecessary and tactless response. But again, thanks for the input!
  • I drink everything out of a straw also. I don't like my lips touching cans, water bottles, etc.  And I don't like leaving lipstick on glasses. 
  • Hmmm.  Wonder who gave me my first flag.  Whoever it is obviously doesn't understand the purpose of the flag button.  You may want to try reading the sticky at the top of the forum.
  • I'd do one per drink. I'd imagine that people would abandon them when they get a new drink.
  • It's hard to estimate...

if you only use straws for your signature drinks, I guess you would need something like 1 per person

if you have straws for everything there are some factors to be taken into account

• beer and wine drinkers don't need straws
    • a lot of adults don't like straws unless they are drinking long drinks
    • the style of your event... if you have a fancy evening reception, people are probably not going to use straws because it just doesn't suit the occasion... etc.

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    JoanE2012
    Head over to snarky brides. We were just talking about inappropriate flags in the erotic massage thread.
    @Liatris2010 haha, thanks!  Congrats on your first flag too! 

It's sad to think there's people out there that don't understand the meaning of abuse vs an opinion that you don't agree with.  I also hate that people can hide anonymously behind the flags.  I really hope TK brings it back the public view of it.
  • I want to know who the second person who flagged you was.

Anniversary

• I want to know who the second person who flagged you was.
    Oh, I'm quite sure it was someone who is lacking common sense.  <rolls eyes, really?>  
  • @KnotPorscha - While you remove @Liatris2010 flag, can you please remove my 3 flags as well?  I thought they were typically reviewed within 48 hours and appropriate action taken.  Not sure why my 3 are still there.....they aren't flag-worthy according to the rules.  Thanks!
  • Joan, I just gave you three loves, in case @mfl002 's flags aren't overlooked.
  • Joan, I just gave you three loves, in case @mfl002 's flags aren't overlooked.
    hehe, thanks, and one back to you!  :D
  • @JoanE2012 @Liatris2010 Thank you for notifying me! I will remove any underserved flags once our system is working.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards