August 2013 Weddings

What a weekend!

Well, went in for my first fitting and was a bit mortified that my alteration and bustle are gonna cost $400 plus for my $674 dress! Than yesterday, after I had finally settled over the cost... the bestman's gf asked if she could wear a white dress... I flipped LOL
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What a weekend!

• Ugh I had my fitting on Friday and my alterations are going to be $308 (cups sewn in, bodice taken in, bustle) and that's with the seamstress throwing in the hem for free.

Hopefully someone will talk some sense into your BM's GF that would be ridiculous if she showed up in white.  If she does though she'll look bad not you.
  • wow that seems so expensive! My alterations are about $250 for my $600 dress. She's taking in the sides, adding a corset, donig the hem and bustle.

Are you going through David's bridal? I've heard their alterations are super expensive. Unless your dress has lots of beading work, etc. that will have to be re-done after the alterations are made?

Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, it is David's and no, my dress has no beading, it just has alot of poofy layers. They are taking in the top part, and doing the hem. That costs me like $209, and the bustle itself is going to be over $200. She knew I was upset, and is going to work on lessening the cost.

As for the gf, she has already made it obvious she is jealous over my MOH having to do things with the BM and also the fact that our wedding is before hers, and we hae been together less time. Did I mention her cousin is also Fi's ex, who is still in love with him? So, they have been really shady and this was icing on the cake. She claims that she has no other dress, and may not be able to afford one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well doesn't she sound like a little angle. I'd keep a close eye on them and ask BM to talk to her about the white dress.

My alterations where quoted at $170 but I'm going through a local seamstress.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • BM was actually the one who asked FI to ask me. I'm not usually like that, but I see right through her!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wow im going through alocal really in expensive seamstress she does a GREAT job shes charging me $25 for a bustle. (she owns her own buisness and used to work at davids bridal years ago and knows they are expensive)  im getting the top taken in a bustle put on . and buttons added to the back i was quoted about $100 and i was like ughhh hahah 
    Anniversary

TTC starting 8/2014 :)
    My Ovulation Chart

• It may be too late, but I strongly urge you to go elsewhere for alterations! I've only used DB for BM dresses in the past, but both times the alterations cost MORE than the dress! Price aside (after all, I had gotten good deals on the original dresses), their service was never as good, and if I had a second alteration (as in- it was taken in, but not enough, or vise versa), it would cost even more. I think the bustle for my wedding gown took my seamstress about 15 minutes and cost all of about $20. And she did a great job. Just something to think about!
  • I wish I would have thought of going to a place in town, its too late now :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Unless they've started working, don't assume that. Just call and say you've changed your mind with regard to their alteration services and if you reconsider in the future you'll call them again. Of course, this would depend on if you had someone else in mind, and if the timeline allows it. And you may want to check prices with other places too. But honestly, in my opinion it's worth a shot. It could work out great for you with DB, but I just don't want you to feel locked into anything if you're questioning them.
  • In all honesty, the girl was great. She is working on cutting the costs for me, and my dress is already there. I just assumed it'd be one to two hundred dollars. I guess I should have checked the prices first. I think she started on it, because they put it to the front, because instead of going back in four weeks, I am going back in two. I needed to get out of there, I about had a meltdown and I'm not 100% sure why. I wonder if I can tell her I don't want the bustle (which is what they are going to pin in two weeks), and take it elsewhere?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not a big advocate of "it's your day- do what you want!", but I am definitely an advocate of it's your money- spend it wisely! If you can look around within the next two weeks and get prices for other places (you'll need to know what kind of bustle you want, and probably have a picture of the dress), I say go for it. You don't need to offer any explanation really, as you're their customer. I would give them as much notice as possible though, just so you're not looking like the rude one.
  • WOW that seems like alot for a bustle.  I went to a very popular local place and it's costing me $275 to take in the sides from the bust to the hip 2" (5 layers of dress they have to take off) and I'm doing a 5 point French Bustle.  I've heard David's is notorious for over charging on alterations.  I agree with the others, I'd call, just ask where they are at and if possible get the bustle done elsewhere.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Jessica41381Jessica41381 member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I have no idea how I managed to get a dress that by the grace of god needed no alterations!
  • You're so lucky Jessica, I'm too darn short!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You're so lucky Jessica, I'm too darn short!!!

I'm actually short also(5'3") and somehow it fit perfectly!
  • @crystal&russl10 I am too!  I think they're taking about 5 inches off my dress and I'm wearing 3.5 inch heels.
  • @audubon That's about how much they are taking off of my dress, as well. I didn't measure my heels, but they are definetly on the higher side!!!

@jessica, you did luck out!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You guys are making me nervous with these alterations prices! I got really lucky and I my dress fits almost perfectly, but I definitely need a bustle at least. $200 just for that is outrageous. My shop doesn't have anyone in house that does them, but they recommended someone. I should probably get on that!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• amalama said:
    You guys are making me nervous with these alterations prices! I got really lucky and I my dress fits almost perfectly, but I definitely need a bustle at least. $200 just for that is outrageous. My shop doesn't have anyone in house that does them, but they recommended someone. I should probably get on that!
    I would def get started! Don't get blindsided like I did LOL :) Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Same here. When I bought it, it didn't need any alterations. Even if I only have to pay for the bustle, that price is INSANE. Add "explore other seamstresses" to my list of things to do. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I need alterations and wanted to go for my first fitting next week ... and the woman doing them said no, put it off until July! No worries! She said if I think I'll lose any more weight, just to wait so it's not being done twice.

I trust her (she works in house for the company that makes the dresses) ... but I'm anxious to get started! I want it to fit, not be huge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards