Pre-wedding Parties

Saving some things for the Engagement Party, is this ok?? Does it matter??

I am looking at July, maybe August of next year. My fiancé and I have been together for 7 years and 9 months, as of this month. I was thinking it would be nice to plan the engagement party, no matter who hosts it, to make sure the engagement party falls on our 8th year anniversary, Sept 12th. What I want to know, is if its ok to wait to do the follow, til the engagement party, which may be hopefully in sept.

Budget talk and finalizing for the actual wedding

choose wedding party, that day

send out save the dates in September/same month, if we already have venues in mind and can quickly book them after the budget is finalized

Is this a good timing for all of this to happen?? Too early or late?? does it matter?? And also, what are all the parties, other than engagement party, that take place or are supposed to take place?? Are some of those talks and meetings meant for other events/parties that come with the wedding planning??

TIA and sorry for many questions, even researching and still have many q's, ha :)

Summer 2014

Days Until A Dream Comes True: Our Wedding Day

Re: Saving some things for the Engagement Party, is this ok?? Does it matter??

• Other parties include bachelor/bachelorette parties and showers. Like the engagement party, those should not be hosted or planned by the couple.If someone offers to throw them for you, great. If not, you don't them them. 

Yes, you can wait to do all of your planning until after the engagement party. I don't know what's proper in terms of timelines for that, but I would side-eye an engagement party in September if you're engaged now, in June. To me, engagement parties are to celebrate/announce an engagement, so when they take place several months after the fact, it just seems AWish to me. 

You shouldn't send STDs until you have booked the venue b/c until that happens, you don't really have your date secured. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited June 2013

I am looking at July, maybe August of next year. My fiancé and I have been together for 7 years and 9 months, as of this month. I was thinking it would be nice to plan the engagement party, no matter who hosts it, to make sure the engagement party falls on our 8th year anniversary, Sept 12th. What I want to know, is if its ok to wait to do the follow, til the engagement party, which may be hopefully in sept.

Usually, engagement parties are held soon after the engagement. It's a stretch, but Sept 12th would be ok, if the date is important to you. But try not to get so hung up on dates. Your wedding date, whatever it will be, will become the new important anniversary. 

Budget talk and finalizing for the actual wedding

You and your fi should talk to each other about your wedding budget before planning starts. No one else should be involved with this unless they volunteer to contribute $$ for your wedding expenses. 

choose wedding party, that day

Choose your wedding party 6 to 9 months before your wedding date. Twelve months is acceptable. You should ask each person privately, if they would honor you by being in your wedding party.

send out save the dates in September/same month, if we already have venues in mind and can quickly book them after the budget is finalized

No. Don't send out save the dates until after you have decided on a date and have signed a contract with your venue. Six to twelve months is usually enough notice for guests to make travel arrangements. 

Is this a good timing for all of this to happen?? Too early or late?? does it matter?? And also, what are all the parties, other than engagement party, that take place or are supposed to take place?? Are some of those talks and meetings meant for other events/parties that come with the wedding planning??

None of these are necessary, but the other events that may take place if someone volunteers to host are shower and bachelor/bachelorette parties.If you'll be having a wedding rehearsal, you should host a rehearsal dinner to thank those who attended. The dinner is your responsibility, unless someone else offers to host it. Sometimes there are after the wedding parties - casual get together following the reception or day after brunch. All this stuff is extra.

TIA and sorry for many questions, even researching and still have many q's, ha :)

Ask all the questions you want. Check out the other boards, too. Congratulations on your engagement. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards