Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Ring Insurance?

I would like to get my ring insured and need some advice.  A new policy (my homeowner's policy would not cover the full amount) is not that expensive but I'm torn about which one to get.  All of these policies would cover the full cost of my ring.

$70 a year for with NO deductible.
$56 a year with a $250 deductible.
$49 a year with a $500 deductible.

Policy covers lost stones, theft, suspicious loss and damage.  I am waiting to see if they can send me a draft policy so I can see everything in writing to make sure I understand what it covers.  

If something happens to the ring they replace it as close as they can to the specs of the ring, not the cost of the ring itself (so I'm protected with the flucuation in gold prices).  We can also increase the policy to cover our wedding bands or any other valuable pieces we acquire over the years.

We both keep emergency funds so I can't imagine a scenario where we wouldn't be able to cover a $500 deductible so that is the most tempting to me because it is the lowest annual cost.

Suggestions?  Advice?
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Ring Insurance?

• Options
    When my fiancé purchased my ring he was offered insurance to protect the stone! We haven't gotten insurance for everything else but for the price he paid we really should.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Without seeing the terms, I'd do one of the first two options.  Look at it this way, even with the third option, you're only saving $21 a year.  If something happens to it, there's a $500 deductible.  SO.. if something happens, you're paying $500.  You'd have the insurance for 23+ years before you saved $500 on the payments between the two.  Does that make sense?

Difference between option #1 and Option #3: $21 a year. 

Time it would take to save $500 on that $21/year savings: Almost 24 years.

So if something happens to your ring in the first 24 years, you're actually losing money over what you'd be spending paying $70/year.

My math might be completely wrong.  This is why I went to law school. I am not friends with numbers.

• Options

This.  

However, I would also make sure the policy covers more than just lost stones or theft.  What if a prong snaps off or there is major damage inflicted on the band that makes it unwearable?  What if YOU lose it?  Any good policy will cover any loss, not just "suspicious" loss.  It's far more likely that you'll lose your ring or drop it down the garbage disposal and damage the band than it is that you'll be mugged, you know?  So you really have to consider what you're paying for, not just how much you're paying.
    And in flies Stage with infinite wisdom, as always. I would have never thought of this. 
  • Options
    LMc0322 said:

Without seeing the terms, I'd do one of the first two options.  Look at it this way, even with the third option, you're only saving $21 a year.  If something happens to it, there's a $500 deductible.  SO.. if something happens, you're paying $500.  You'd have the insurance for 23+ years before you saved $500 on the payments between the two.  Does that make sense?

Difference between option #1 and Option #3: $21 a year. 

Time it would take to save $500 on that $21/year savings: Almost 24 years.

So if something happens to your ring in the first 24 years, you're actually losing money over what you'd be spending paying $70/year.

My math might be completely wrong.  This is why I went to law school. I am not friends with numbers.

This.  

However, I would also make sure the policy covers more than just lost stones or theft.  What if a prong snaps off or there is major damage inflicted on the band that makes it unwearable?  What if YOU lose it?  Any good policy will cover any loss, not just "suspicious" loss.  It's far more likely that you'll lose your ring or drop it down the garbage disposal and damage the band than it is that you'll be mugged, you know?  So you really have to consider what you're paying for, not just how much you're paying.
    It sounded like it covers EVERYTHING but I will double check.  I hadn't considered damage to a prong, I was more worried about loss or theft.
  • Options
    Damage must occur suddenly and accidently to the piece listed in the policy.  So if my ring gets caught on a tree branch and a prong breaks it would be covered but if it just gradually weakens over time it would not be.

I'm still trying to get a copy of the policy to read over.  The agent can't seem to send me a sample policy.  :/
  • Options
    I'd keep looking around.  If they're not being responsive when trying to sell you the policy, they're going to be worse when you're asking them for coverage.
  • Options
    LMc0322 said:
    I'd keep looking around.  If they're not being responsive when trying to sell you the policy, they're going to be worse when you're asking them for coverage.
    This is very unusual.  I have my car and homeowner's through them and my entire family has various coverage with them...  I may try to speak to a different agent and see if they can help.  I've never worked with this one before.
  • Options
    I was able to take out a separate personal article policy through my auto/renter's insurance company for only $75/year, no deductible. It covers anything and everything that could ever happen. Worth every penny in my opinion - I am breathing much easier now! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards