Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Can a family member be a wedding officiate in Pittsburgh, PA?

Hello! I am getting married October 18th of this year. I want my little brother to be the officiant at my wedding but don't know how to accomplish this. Does anybody know the rules in Pittsburgh, PA? Or a legit site that will allow you to gain your license?

Re: Can a family member be a wedding officiate in Pittsburgh, PA?

• Options

PA does not accept online church ordinations like some states. 

PA DOES have self-uniting marriages...basically, you and your FI marry yourselves.  You need a specific license for this.  From what I've read, some counties are nicer about giving these out than others, but it is the law.  You do need to ask at the start of the license process to get the right papers (I "google" it....here's a brief mention on the Bucks County site: http://www.buckscounty.org/government/rowofficers/registerofwills/marriagelicenses.aspx).  You could get that license and do the self-uniting thing for the legal side but have your brother still stand up for a more ceremonial role.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    clg1213 said:

PA does not accept online church ordinations like some states. 

PA DOES have self-uniting marriages...basically, you and your FI marry yourselves.  You need a specific license for this.  From what I've read, some counties are nicer about giving these out than others, but it is the law.  You do need to ask at the start of the license process to get the right papers (I "google" it....here's a brief mention on the Bucks County site: http://www.buckscounty.org/government/rowofficers/registerofwills/marriagelicenses.aspx).  You could get that license and do the self-uniting thing for the legal side but have your brother still stand up
    for a more ceremonial role.

This. We self-united in PA. Legally all counties must offer these licenses, but some have never heard of them, and other just flat out refuse to offer them. If you choose this route, call the county clerk and ask them about the license. If they have no idea what you are talking about, or asks you for your religious affiliation, you should try another county.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards