Chit Chat

ATTENTION!!!!!

ATTENTION

Anyone who has Verizon be careful!!

There is a scam going around. It's a call from an 800 number (they called me from 800-000-0000). When you answer its a man's voice on the other end saying you have been awarded X amount off your next bill and then says to go to a certain website. IT IS A SCAM TO GET YOUR INFORMATION AND IS NOT ACTUALLY FROM VERIZON!!! My dad got a call from it earlier and he and I werw given 2 very different amounts that we have been "awarded" 

Re: ATTENTION!!!!!

• People believe they've won something without entering into a contest?
  • Older people do, absolutely.  Scammers pose as IRS agents, too.  They wouldn't still be doing these scams if they didn't make money.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Scams are scary because they will eventually reach someone who believes them. It could be due to naivety; it could be timing. Imagine if this call took place 5 minutes after someone just called Verizon to ask something about their bill. It would be much easier for someone to take the bait thinking it was due to their recent call.

In high school, I briefly worked in the telemarketing department for a mortgage company. I don't think they were a scam, but we did have to get people's social security numbers to complete the application (on a cold call!). Most people said no way, but some people did provide them. When I think about it now, I bet people who were actively looking for a mortgage might not catch on that this wasn't a company they applied to. It would get lost in the calls they were already receiving. 

• AJuliaNJ said:
    Scams are scary because they will eventually reach someone who believes them. It could be due to naivety; it could be timing. Imagine if this call took place 5 minutes after someone just called Verizon to ask something about their bill. It would be much easier for someone to take the bait thinking it was due to their recent call.

In high school, I briefly worked in the telemarketing department for a mortgage company. I don't think they were a scam, but we did have to get people's social security numbers to complete the application (on a cold call!). Most people said no way, but some people did provide them. When I think about it now, I bet people who were actively looking for a mortgage might not catch on that this wasn't a company they applied to. It would get lost in the calls they were already receiving. 
    Totally agree.  Unfortunately, a lot of people do fall for scams like this, and the elderly are often a target.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards