Missouri-Kansas City

Best Barbecue Caterers??

We are strongly leaning towards doing barbecue for our wedding recepton as it both represents us and our families. Not to mention our best man has Celiac's disease and barbecue is one of the things he can absoultly eat!

So our question is has anyone else gone down this path or been to a wedding that served barbecue and if so who catered and what made it amazinly delishious?? 

Any imput will be greatly appriciated! 

Thanks,

Tristen and Michael

Re: Best Barbecue Caterers??

• I'm on that road right now.  I can tell you what I know, from what I've learned this week.  I've never been to a wedding where BBQ was catered, but have been to Oklahoma Joe's, Jack's Stack and SmokeHouse BBQ to test it out for our reception and I can tell you Jack's Stack tasted the best but is the most expensive of the three.  We just got our proposal back this week and aside from the prices (cheapest being just under $17 per person for one of their buffets) their charge for staff is $35 per person per hour.  They say they need to get there an hour before the event starts and stay 2 hours after and if you "upgrade" to the plastic disposable plates vs. the Styrofoam disposable plates they require you to add an additional staffed server, and if you go for real china it's 2 extra people (three total).   That adds up.  They also rent tables ($10 each) and linens and chairs, all of which are a little more expensive than rental companies charge.  Plus at the end of the night, the left over food is their property and they take it back, but so does SmokeHouse BBQ.  It would be double our catering budget but It is sooo good, I'm still trying to figure out a way.  They also offer bartenders and alcohol.   

SmokeHouse BBQ buffets start at around $9-$12 I think and service staff was included.  Foam plates included, but they have to options to upgrade.  They take the left over food at the end of the night too.  I tried it for the first time Sunday and did not have a good experience.  Of the three so far, the actual food was in third place.  Which is a shame because they seem like a great deal! 

Oklahoma Joe's requires a $1000 minimum for full service catering.  They're booked solid on my date but we have the option to pick it up.  We have access to chaffing dishes and warmers and it's a small wedding so it may be a compromise...  But I don't think they offer any cocktail hour type food or appetizers besides sides, brownies and cookies.  The other 2 places did.  I don't know if we can have someone cater a cocktail hour, but have the meal be from someone else.

Sorry this was so long.  Good luck!

• I forgot to mention what made Jacks Stack amazingly decicious to me.  The meat really has that smoked taste.  The cheesy corn is thick and delicious and I think had bacon in it.  The beans were really flavorful and I think may have had bacon or something in it as well.  They also kind of had the smoked taste.  I didn't try the coleslaw, by my fiance did and liked it.  All together I tried the smoked turkey, brisket, ribs and chicken and it was all sooo delicious.  It was really filling though.  I worried that people may be too full to dance for a while after the meal lol. 
  • My parents used Jack Stack for their 25th Anniv party a few years ago. It was delicious, but I don't know about pricing or anything.
    We had turkey, brisket, and pulled pork for meats, and none of them were dry.
  • Did you look at the Rib Crib in Independence?  When I was looking at them at the begining of the planning of my wedding they were incredibly reasonable and they are my FAVORITE BBQ food.

• I've been to a wedding where Zarda's catered and it was good but they didn't have any fancy set up options.
  • YOu should look into smokin guns bbq. Its a small bbq place in north kansas city but it is awesome and very reasonably priced. We are planning on using them for our wedding. I have been to a few weddings that have used them and the food is great. Its less than $10 a plate too!!

• Try Johnny's BBQ in Shawnee Mission. They are DELICIOUS and they have cheap catering and the best ribs in KC, in my opinion.
  • I've had Smoking Guns and I wasn't that impressed.  

We had our rehearsal dinner at Winslow's BBQ in the City Market, and their food and prices were excellent.  Giant buffet with 4 different meats, bread, pickles, beans, and cole slaw for $9.99/head.  I know they do off-site stuff but we had our dinner there, so I don't know much about that option.
  • We're having Johnny's BBQ at our wedding. They are very affordable and have the best ribs in KC!
  • We used Oklahoma Joe's to cater our rehearsal dinner and everyone loved it! It wasn't all that pricey either, and they were pretty flexible with their menu options. Delish!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards