October 2013 Weddings
Options

First dance

I was just wondering what everyone was doing for a song for their first song.  I have a couple ideas for songs but I am still unsure.  I really like "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green but I am worried that it is not slow enough. We have to meet with our DJ in the next week or so to go over our song choices and I would really like to have some ideas to bring to him. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

148 Invited
image 125 Are ready to party
image 23 Are no fun!
image 0 Haven't found the mailbox yet

Re: First dance

• Options
    Ours is "Parachute" by Train. I love Train and the lyrics of this song just really encompass me and FI's relationship...he's the one that makes me feel safe, protected and happy and I'm the one that supports him and pushes him to follow through with his dreams :)

I wanna take you with me 
    to life with no more yesterdays 
    we can start again awake and so excited 
    and change the way we always push 
    we always push 

I'll open up and be your parachute 
    and I'll never let you down 
    so open up and be my human angel 
    and we'll only hit the ground 
    running 

and when the world gets sharp and tries to cut you down to size 
    and makes you feel like giving in 
    oh, I will stay, I will rain, I will wash the words and pain away 
    and I will chase away the way we push 
    the way we pull 
    you're beautiful 

running 

and if it feels like we might drop 
    it will stop 
    so don't look down 
    it wouldn't be the same without you 
    this life is too good to give up on 

and we're gonna hit the ground 
    running

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Schellzinator - I love the lyrics to that song.  I love Train too, all the songs have such good lyrics.  Good choice!

@alisonmarie658 - Blake Shelton is great, I haven't heard that song but I'll have to check it out.  Are you and your FI doing any sort of special dance or taking dance classes?  I am trying to get FI to do it but it's not working out too well!

I also love "Little Moments" and "She's Everything" by Brad Paisley.  It is such a hard choice!!

148 Invited
    image 23 Are no fun!
  • Options
    My FI isn't a dancer either so I know where you are coming from.  I love Brad Paisley!  I don't think there is a song of his that I don't like.

I am going to run these song choices by FI and see what he likes better.  He does like "Let's Stay Together" but I am going to have him listen to all 3 and see what he thinks would be better to dance too since he is probably only going to slow dance the whole night.  He doesn't dance to any fast songs (unless there is a lot of liquor in him lol).

148 Invited
    image 23 Are no fun!
  • Options
    @millersox2184 - I know what you mean about FI not dancing unless there is a lot of liquor in him.  Matt is famous on our friends wedding circuit for his hips.  After the beer is flowing he does this dance with his hips that kind of looks like a Hawaiian Dancer hood ornament.  I love it! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're doing "Something Stupid" by Frank Sinatra. Our DJ is actually going to sing it.

• Options
    @Schellzinator - That is hilarious!  I have never actually seen FI dance other then joking around in the house so it should be interesting.  A friend of mine's H has a dance he does when the alcohol is flowing, it's hysterical.  He loves to play the air guitar and then sticks his chest out and wiggles.  I love it!  I hope he starts dancing at the wedding!

148 Invited
    image 23 Are no fun!
  • Options
    We are dancing to "You and Me" by Kenny Chesney.  FI actually picked it out and he can't dance either.  Slow dances he does okay with but anything else and it's a disaster!  LOL  

I am actually trying to hook up with a friend of ours that has a recording studio so I can record the song and surprise FI.  Unfortunately our friend and I are having a hard time coordinating a time when my FI isn't around.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • Options
    @rustytammy -  That is a great song and a really cute idea to record it yourself.  I am completely tone deaf and am jealous of anyone who can carry a tone.  Hopefully you will be able to record it soon...good luck!

148 Invited
    image 23 Are no fun!
  • Options
    We are having you say it best when you say nothing at all by Ronan Keating. (I wanted Alison Kraus and Union stations version but my FI hates country and I had to compromise and get this other version which is from Notting Hill LOL

@alisonmarie-so jealous I wanted that song but got turned down fast since it was country.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We will be dancing to "True companion" by Marc Cohn. We were travelling before we got engaged and he was playing a CD he made and this song came on. I had heard it before but did not know the name. I asked him what the song was called and then wrote a note in my phone "True companion-first dance song". We both have always liked the song and the lyrics are very true to the day.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @mochietoe - just reading the lyrics gives me the chills! Love it :)

I love seeing the different songs everyone is picking - the song gives a good idea of the couple and if I'd be lucky to live near any of you and hanging out on a regular basis.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    well, on that note, @schellzinator.... we'll be dancing to "Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop" - Langdon Pigg. 
  • Options
    I am about 99.9% sure our song will be When You Got A Good Thing by Lady Antebellum.  I was playing it for my mom the other day and just started crying because the lyrics remind me of my fiance and I.. esp the part that goes "You can make me laugh when I wanna cry" because he is the one person who can make me smile when I am at my worst!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    There is something about a country love song.  The good classics are hauntingly beautiful and emotional and very appropriate.  Good choices everyone, I enjoyed looking up the ones I didn't recognize.

I have it narrowed down to two very different ones.  We originally decided on "Love Song" (Adele's cover).  I thought I was going to have the majority of say in the whole first dance song, but FI has proven me wrong. He is much pickier than I am.  

THEN, I heard  "I'm Gonna Be" by The Proclaimers.  I hadn't heard it in a looonnnggg time but the rare times I do, I think of FI. I am not sure I could go thru with an up beat goofy song for a first dance even though FI is good with it.  So we are still undecided.
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Options
    I have ALWAYS wanted my first dance to be "The way you look tonight" by Tony Bennet

The song is really slow and will probably have to be cut down.

We've practiced a couple times and lets just say we need to practice a WHOLE lot more!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I told FI that we need to start practicing too as soon as we can decide on a song.  He thinks I'm crazy but I'm not the best dancer in the world and he doesn't dance at all. 

148 Invited
    image 23 Are no fun!
  • Options

Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley because we met protesting Scientology, and that's pretty much the Anonymous theme song. I don't know if we'll dance it alone or with our fellow protestors (one being a bridesmaid and the other being our officiant).

• Options
    Our first song is going to be "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz. I wanted "My Best Friend" by Tim McGraw, but our friends (groomsman and bridesmaid) had that as their song, and we didn't want them to feel weird (we also are using the same garden as them for our ceremony). 

I also thought about "Making Memories of Us" by Keith Urban, but that was a family friend's song and she is very possesive. 

Oh well, I am happy with my final choice :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @EmilyTork - I love "Making Memories of Us" and would have used that as our song but a friend of mine had that as their wedding song.  I feel weird using the same song as someone else even if they don't think it is that big of a deal.

148 Invited
    image 23 Are no fun!
  • Options
    My fiance and I have been talking about it, especially with the pending SCOTUS ruling on DOMA, and we may end up having Same Love by Macklemore as our first song and invite our friends and family (the vast majority being straight allies, gay or transgendered) to dance with us in honor of the people across our country who aren't allowed to marry the people they love.

• Options
    We haven't made a for sure decision yet but, know it will be Don Williams song. We first danced to Don. It just feels right. Now just to decide which one it will be for sure!
  • Options

We are doing "You and Me" by Dave Matthews. Gonna have certain people come and join us dancing since FI doesn't want to be in front of everyone for a whole song.

Also, YAY! DOMA was struck down!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rkborkbo member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    This is "our song", it will be played for our first dance.

Fall Into Me
    By Sugarland

When the weight of the world bears down so strong you leave footprints on the street
    And there's too many miles to face without a few more hours sleep
    The storm clouds overhead won't shed any rain to quench your thirst
    I wanna be the one you reach for first

When your faith is stretched so thin that you can see straight through your soul
    And you can't find a nickel to buy a smile cause your pockets all got holes
    You wanna shut the door and hide before the day can get much worse

Fall into me
    My arms are open wide and you don't have to say a word
    Cause I already see
    That it's hard and you're scared and you're tired and it hurts
    And I wanna be the one you reach for first

I wanna be the bottle you've been drinking with your eyes
    Or the road you run away on you've been running all your life
    The third row pew that you last knew as a child in church

Fall into me
    My arms are open wide and you don't have to say a word
    Cause I already see
    That it's hard and you're scared and you're tired and it hurts

Before your turn the key
    Before you fall asleep
    Before your drift away to fight those demons waiting for you in your dreams
    Before your arms are stretched wide open
    Before you're reaching for the sky
    Before you're searching for direction
    And all the answers to your why's

Fall into me
    Well, my arms are stretched wide open, you don't have to say a word
    Because I already see
    That it's hard and you're scared and you're tired and I know it hurts
    Yes, it's hard and you're scared and you're tired and it hurts

• Options
    @rhawandas Did you do an intro post and I just missed it? (Typical me)
  • Options
    Sea of Love by Phil Phillips. It's the first song we ever danced to. We were in my parents kitchen, and we started dancing but had no music. My FH started singing this to me, and I've loved it ever since. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards