Chit Chat

DIY bouquets?

Did any of you brides do your own bouquets for your wedding? (silk flowers) If so, was it hard and recommend me to have someone else do it? Or, would you say it's worth doing it yourself. Our wedding isn't for another 2 years but my MOH and I have started making things already so we don't have to worry about it later. We have made all the place cards, reserved signs, boutonnieres, favors, and will be making the centerpieces, mints, etched glasses, and other things I have on my list.

Re: DIY bouquets?

• Don't start making things yet. Things will change or you'll lose stuff.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • I'm making brooch bouquets for myself and the BMs - it's taking me much longer than I thought it would...

• Nothing will change and it's all packed away with labels. Everything that needs to be made has been decided a year ago and we just started making things. We aren't doing any planning or making anything after 6 months before the wedding. We will be too busy with setting up our new home then. That's why things are happening now.
  • My cousin made all of her bouquets and then changed her mind about them. She also changed her mind about the groom, but that's another story. 

I think it just depends how much time you have. For me, I simply didn't have time to devote to something like that, so the expense of hiring a pro was worth it. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm not crafty at all so there will be very little I will actually do myself. It stresses me out enough the things I have to plan already for the wedding, let alone adding in being crafty to it. I should look into a wedding planner seriously.  Anyways it depends on your schedul and ow much time you have to devote to those things.  I would also worry about changing my mind with so much time until the wedding.

Anniversary

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Did any of you brides do your own bouquets for your wedding? (silk flowers) If so, was it hard and recommend me to have someone else do it? Or, would you say it's worth doing it yourself. Our wedding isn't for another 2 years but my MOH and I have started making things already so we don't have to worry about it later. We have made all the place cards, reserved signs, boutonnieres, favors, and will be making the centerpieces, mints, etched glasses, and other things I have on my list.

How did you make place cards and favors if you don't know how many guests you'll be having?

Two years is really far away. Styles and tastes change. I would wait to do your flowers until a year in advance, max.

Putting together a few bouquets of fake flowers is NBD.

• hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    We just DIYed all of my bouquets, boutineers, corsages, and flower centerpieces yesterday and it really isn't that difficult if you have people helping you and are somewhat artistic. I was actually in the background doing little things while my mom and sisters did most of it cause I'm not good at that stuff, but they did a great job!!

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • ranzzoranzzo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    All of my flowers were DIY with silk flowers.  I also had a fall themed wedding and we had pumpkins, and large jars of candy on each table.  We actually made an announcement that anyone that wanted to keep any of the centerpieces, pumpkins and jars of candy were welcome to take them.  We thought it would be a nice keepsake.  The pumpkins and candy were especially a hit with the kids.
  • I made the bouquets, although mine still isn't 100% yet, but I still have 4 months to go. 

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but how does one make mints?

It sounds like you'll be moving into a new house closer to your wedding date. First, congrats! Second, I hope you've packed everything REALLY well, otherwise something will break. I've moved 3 times in the last 2 years, and each time something ended up broken/dented/scratched, despite the movers' best packing efforts. When I move again in the next two months, I plan on packing all the wedding stuff myself and putting it in my car.
  • My best friend made bouquets for her sisters wedidng, they were super cute and she did awesome.  I don't think it took her long.  That being said.....I think it is CRAZY to be making stuff two years out.  I was engaged for 3 years and changed my wedding colors 3 times!!!!

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• I plan on doing silk with my FMIL as she has background knowledge and experiance on the subject, so does FI.

Anniversary
  • I made my own bouquet in about an hour. It's really easy. I used silk flowers from afloral.com, and I used this video for instructions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• What did you make for favors?  I assume you didn't go with edible if they're already made and your wedding isn't for another two years.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards