Wedding Reception Forum

Amount of pompoms to toss after ceremony

My fiancé and I were planning on having the guests throw 1 inch pompoms in our wedding colors at us during the recessional. Do we put pompoms at every seat or just 1-2 of them on the aisle? How much are we supposed to give each guest to toss?

Re: Amount of pompoms to toss after ceremony

• Is this inside or outside?  Who cleans that up?

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It's inside and we have to do the cleanup the following morning.
  • You could have them in a basket/tray at the door- as people come in, they get a pom pom and program? Or on every seat could work. I'm having a hard time picturing what you mean (I'm thinking of the little cheering pom poms on sticks you see at sporting events) but I think one per guest would be ok. Of course, the guests have to hold them throughout the ceremony...Hmm.

I'm guessing you're wanting to get some fun pictures with the pom poms in the air as you are walking back up the aisle. Is there any way to do this as part of a "grand exit" after the entire ceremony is over? That might make the logistics a little easier.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I mean like the little fuzzy craft balls like these: http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/products/1302_2533_2160-16833-1_red_craft_pom_poms_40pcs.html

My idea so far is to put them into organza favor bags to leave on the seats for people but I thought it might be a waste to give everyone if they're not near an aisle. I also didn't want to upset anyone if they didn't get any.

Our reception and ceremony are in the same building, just separate rooms so my plan was for them to be thrown as we came up the aisle, then we would wait outside the ceremony room and do a receiving line as people walked from that room next door to the reception. Then they're having cocktail hour while we go and take our pictures together. If there are any better suggestions on our timeline I would love to hear them.
  • Oh ok, I get it now! I think the timeline sounds fine. I was assuming separate venues, my bad!

To be honest, I bet it would make for some cute pictures, but it seems like a lot of hassle. Other than the cleaning up and the issues you mentioned of where to put them, how will people know to throw them? What if you take a pom pom to the eye? I guess I don't have much helpful feedback other than that I would reconsider.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Why would you want your guests to throw furry little craft balls at you?

*** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Same reason other women have rice, rose petals, or confetti thrown at them. It doesn't have to be the pompoms. Those are just the only item FI and I could agree on so far.
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I don't really have anything nice to say. OP, just keep in mind all ideas found on Pintrest aren't necessarily awesome. Having things thrown at you after getting married is certainly not a requirement. This seems like a waste of money.
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    Eh, I would skip it all together and just save the money.
  • itzMS said:
    I don't really have anything nice to say. OP, just keep in mind all ideas found on Pintrest aren't necessarily awesome. Having things thrown at you after getting married is certainly not a requirement. This seems like a waste of money.
    Ditto.  I will add, I've never seen anyone throw things at the bride and groom as they walked up the aisle to exit.  You probably won't need much if that is your idea, just for the couple of people closest to the aisle.  Someone that is sitting 4 or 5 people in the aisle is not going to be throwing over the other guests heads.
  • You are certainly free to spend your money how you see fit, but this is strikes me as odd and not the best use of funds.  Will you be making an announcement about throwing them? Because if I saw a basket of those or found one on my seat, I'm not sure I'd know what I was supposed to do with it.
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment
    I'd suggest that you buy some and see how far you can actually throw them.  While the idea might seem cute, my guess is that unless you actually have an aisle seat they won't get anywhere near you.....and they'll just leave a mess all over the room that someone must sweep up.
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • I guess I never even thought to skip it. All the weddings I've been to had something (rice or bubbles) so I just always assumed I should to. What a waste of time my FI and I spent trying to figure out what to use. I guess the money saved can get us something nice on the honeymoon! Thanks everyone.
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    Yeah...just think, even if you save $50 on those things...that is a nice dinner for you two on your honeymoon! You don't have to do all the "things" you have seen at weddings. In fact, I would say...past saying "I do" and hosting a nice reception for your guests...you don't have to do ANY of the other stuff. Do only what has meaning for you and your future husband and skip the rest!
  • I agree to skip them. I imagine you were just looking for something different to do (we did bubbles...yawn), but when I picture people pelting you with craft pom poms,it's just not a very pretty sight. And I bet when you had to go back later and clean those suckers up, you would be regretting it as well. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would also agree that it seems more work (and cost) than it is worth.  At the end of this link, there is a picture of a pompom toss, and frankly, it is underwhelming.  Another suggestion offered on this link is to toss oatmeal.....seriously.  I do think, however, that if enough people participate, a background of bubbles (used outside) can make for some really nice photos.

• mobkaz said:
    I would also agree that it seems more work (and cost) than it is worth.  At the end of this link, there is a picture of a pompom toss, and frankly, it is underwhelming.  Another suggestion offered on this link is to toss oatmeal.....seriously.  I do think, however, that if enough people participate, a background of bubbles (used outside) can make for some really nice photos.

None of those pictures were particularly interesting except that the bride and grooms kept trying to protect their eyes from flying objects. It seems like a picture of them with their eyes open would be a better pic.

Anniversary

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    Dreamergirl8812 said: mobkaz said: I would also agree that it seems more work (and cost) than it is worth.  At the end of this link, there is a picture of a pompom toss, and frankly, it is underwhelming.  Another suggestion offered on this link is to toss oatmeal.....seriously.  I do think, however, that if enough people participate, a background of bubbles (used outside) can make for some really nice photos.
    http://www.heartloveweddings.com/2012/04/wedding-details-recessional-tosses-getaways-exits-sendoffs/
    None of those pictures were particularly interesting except that the bride and grooms kept trying to protect their eyes from flying objects. It seems like a picture of them with their eyes open would be a better pic.

That was my point.  The picture of the pompom toss was, as I said earlier,
    underwhelming.  And any link that suggests that tossing oatmeal at a bride and groom is clever is hardly a link I would take seriously.
  • edited July 2013
    And my point was that every single pic showing stuff being chucked at people's faces are underwhelming.

ETA: In other words, the whole pursuit seems like a waste of time.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards