Wedding Woes

Because it's a little slow my rant

Y'all know my ups and downs with my ILs. MIL and stepFIL are nice people but frustrating.

Every year they come to visit. Usually they come in September. This year we have our big vacation. Because we were burning up airline miles, points, etc. we were limited on our dates. So we booked middle of September, and this was last year in October. A couple of months ago, they mention they'd like to come visit. DH tells them then that we'll be gone for 9 days in September so that probably isn't a good time if they want to see us. SIL tells them this as well. And guess what- they apparently can't wait a few weeks so they're coming while we're gone.

Here's why it pisses me off. They always come in September, but they always make sure to make it for nephew's birthday. They have never been in town for any other grandkids birthday party. Nephew is royally spoiled by his other grandma so I'm pretty sure MIL doesn't even register to him (actually nephew and niece don't give 2 fvcks about MIL and stepFIL because they see them once a year).

Now DH wants to go visit them next year in April. I know why- it's mostly because his grandpa who lives nearby is not doing well. He wants to make sure he and DS spend time with him. He wants me to come with new baby (new baby will be about 5 months). I will have just enough airline miles for us to use. But I feel like why should we make the effort to see them when they won't do the same for us?

Re: Because it's a little slow my rant

• I get it. Though I don't have the H issue where he wants to see his parents.

ILs who play favorites suck. No matter how close or far they are.

• I get it, too.  I think you should go in April (whether you have airline points or not).  Make sure DH understands it's for his g-pa to see the kids.  
    And then after that, I say screw 'em.  Don't waste any vacation time or $ on making an effort if they won't do the same.
  • PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2013
    DH isn't bothered at all- he knows that this is par for the course for them. Here's the best part- DH (and sometimes me and DS) have been to see them numerous times. Combined, I think DH's two sisters have been to see them about 5 times in the 11 years me and DH have been dating/married. Granted, we lived in the same state for 4 years, but we've been back plenty of times since.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards