Wedding Invitations & Paper

Who gets a Plus One on Invitation

My cousin and his wife-to-be are to be married in August, and I have a plus-one etiquette question. Brief backstory: my cousin and I were very close throughout elementary and high school, but he went to college three hours away, and stayed in that area thereafter. We drifted, as he only comes home maybe two or three times per year. In fact, I only met his wife-to-be three, maybe four times. Nevertheless, my cousins knows of and met my partner of two years and four months, who I relocated with in March. That all being said, my mother called me yesterday and said that the wedding invitations came to their house. I was not offended that the invitation didn't come to my apartment, as I never e-mailed / texted my cousin the new address. However, I was offended that my name was merely attached to my parents' invitation (i.e., Mr. and Mrs. Joe Jones and Sue). I should have received my own invitation, no? I am a 26 year-old adult! However, what really irritates me is that my partner is not invited because we are not engaged or married. Apparently, my cousin and his wife-to-be have 50 friends between them, and if all received a plus one, that would equal 100 people - not including family members. So, only those engaged and married receive a plus one, and everyone else is expected to come alone. This is a huge, huge dilemma for me. From the day that my partner and I started dating, I was included in everything from a backyard BBQ to a wedding. Thus, I would feel like complete crap saying, "Sorry, babes. See you Sunday evening. And don't forget to clean the bathroom and do the laundry!" (the wedding is three hours away and so an all weekend affair). My mother suggested that I call my cousin and wife-to-be and ask if it is okay for my partner to join. But, if the answer is "No," I am going to decline. It just doesn't seem right for me to leave my partner, in the home that we're building together, alone for the weekend while I attend a family wedding. I could see if I was single, or just entered a new relationship, but we have been together for almost three years, live together, and plan on spending our lives together. If I don't attend, I know that I will hear an earful from my parents, and that my cousin, aunt, and uncle, will be deeply hurt and/or offended. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions, how would you handle this? Thank you!

Re: Who gets a Plus One on Invitation

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I am not a fan of correcting one faux pas (excluding your known, long term partner), with another (asking to bring a known, uninvited guest). I would simply decline the invitation. If your cousin asks, then you have an opportunity to explain their mistake.
  • I would do exactly as you plan to. Call and see if you can bring your partner, and if the answer is no, decline to go. It's rude not to invite people's significant others. I wouldn't worry about offending your family since they don't seem worried about offending YOU.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I answered your other thread.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • AddieL73 said:
    I would do exactly as you plan to. Call and see if you can bring your partner, and if the answer is no, decline to go. It's rude not to invite people's significant others. I wouldn't worry about offending your family since they don't seem worried about offending YOU.
    This. 

We always advise brides on these boards to include people's SOs, even if they are not engaged or married, and this is a perfect example of why.  Sorry this happened to you!
  • It was rude to include you with your parents as if you were a child and it was rude to exclude your partner.

I would decline the invitation without explanation.  (Or not, since you didn't actually get an invitation).  If pressed to explain, I would say that I was uncomfortable attending an event where my partner wasn't welcome.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards