July 2013 Weddings

The baker broke her wrist....

She called me when I was in the middle of Ikea, which always manages to blow my brain all on its own, without my recent development of "bride-brain" befuddlement, and she said "I have some bad news." I told her if she was talking to me I already knew that she was better off than my hair stylist. (because I'm evil...) So basically, the upshot is, with help from her husband, she will be able to do the wedding cake, the centerpiece cakes (I seriously love cake.) but she won't be able to do the fancy schmancy groom's cake. she would, however, be willing to do another centerpiece style cake in the same flavors for free to compensate. FMIL is the one who's adamernt about the groom's cake. It's a tradition in their family for the MOG to surprise the Groom with something. She was REALLY excited about this. When i told her "the baker's wrist is broken, and she can't do it." FMIL flatly replied, "Well, tell her to hire an assistant for the day who can, and I'll pay them. I want this groom's cake."

baker explains that it's a workers insurance thing - she can't have someone else in her home-based-business kitchen. Ok fine. 

FMIL asks a member of the family, who studeied cake baking 20 years ago,if they can make a complicated groom's cake. They say "Sure" and call the baker to figure out the details. Family member says "Actually... I don't think I'm up for this. it's really over my head."

I tried calling a bunch of places. Two weeks before the wedding. Guess how that worked out ;) ? So now, FMIL is ticked, and thank heaven she's not the type to misplace blame. She knows this was just an accident, but the baker, frankly, didn't really handle it as well in her dealings with her as she did with me. it might have been because I was a lot more flexible about it, but still... I don't think either one of them were proud of their behavior. apparently they got into a bit of a snit on the phone. 

16 days..... 16 days.... 16 days.... 

In other news... I built a whole Ikea shelf all by myself!!! yay!

Re: The baker broke her wrist....

• Girl, there is a special place in bride heaven for you! With all the - let's call them, happy disasters - your wedding day is guaranteed to be a breeze! 
    It's just a cake, she'll get over it or find someone to make it. If she offers them enough money, some place is bound to do it for her.
    Perhaps she could start a new tradition of giving the groom a cake on your first anniversary?

Impressed - I "let" my mom or FI build all IKEA items for me. I know I'd mess it up :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• It could be worse-she might not have been able to make your actual wedding cake!  I'm glad that's still ok!  You've done a great job handling it!

Your FMIL will get over herself :)

I am also impressed about the shelf!  I've only been to an Ikea once before (the closest one to me is only 1.5 hours away...but in another country) and I was like ".....WHOA"

• Bummer, but I'm glad you're handling well!

Curious, what was the groom's cake supposed to look like?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The groom's cake is actually going to be a 3-D replica of his cowboy boots. I was really excited to see it! 

FMIL has calmed down about this. The thing that I honestly couldn't get was that since we are having another "reception" a few weeks after the wedding (most of FI's family are from Texas, and weren't able to make it to the wedding because we're having it in VA, so FMIL decided to host something there.) and she just had her other son's grooms cake made there by a woman who she loved, why the heck is this even a big deal? Just do the cowboy boots at the Texas party in August! I think it was just the sudden disappointment that made her so weird about it. She normally is a very flexible person. 

Frankly, FI hates cake anyway, (which FMIL knows...) so I kind of thought of this as a blessing in disguise. I thought we should have just gone to a local italian bakery and had them make us tiramisu, because that's FI's favorite thing in the world. (and seriously, how much would a wedding with tiramisu totally ROCK?!) But she didn't like that idea. she wants to do a cookie cake. because that's what he always had for birthdays growing up as a kid since he doesn't like cake... but that just seems so... I dunno. whatever. FI will love whatever she gets him, and as long as I get some of my dark chocolate cake with banana caramel mouse filling, I will be a happy lady ^_^
  • Oh no! Your poor baker. :( Anyway, I'm glad it all worked out. Your groom's cake sounds awesome! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards