Honeymoon Discussions

Passport Name Change

We are going on a cruise for our honeymoon. My fiance wants me to have my name changed in time for the wedding but will that mean I will have to have my passport updated before the honeymoon? Would it be easier to wait until we get back to change my name?

Re: Passport Name Change

• You cannot update your passport until you have your marriage certificate in hand, which is typically after the wedding. If you have gotten your passport in the last year, getting a name change will be free if you do it within that year timeframe. Also, as far as being recognized by your new name on the cruise, your travel agent can note on your booking that it is your HM. If you booked on your own, you can tell the cruiseline and they will refer to you as "Mr. and Mrs. X"

• Ditto Jells. You can not change your name until after your wedding. There woun't be enough time to get a new passport before your HM so make sure you book everything in your maiden name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would definitely wait to change your name until after the HM especially if you are going right away (within a couple of weeks of the wedding). You can still introduce yourself to people as Mrs Husband'sName if you like. No one is going to ask you to prove it.
  • From our wedding day, until the day I received my new passport with my married name was probably about 3 months.  So if you are going on your HM right after your wedding, or shortly after, there's not really a way for you to have your passport in your married name.  Your travel tickets MUST match the name on your passport, so you'll have to book everything under your maiden name.

• since you need the certified marriage cert to change your passport and since you dont get that until a few days to a few weeks after you get married then you need to allow time for them to change the name and return it to you you CANT change your passport to your married name. book all in your maiden name and travel in your maiden name.

• I got married 3 weeks ago, and I still don't have the license yet, so I haven't been able to change my name yet.  The social security office needs a certified copy of the marriage license to send you a new card, and most of the other stuff requires the social security card.  Like PP said, it'll probably be a few months after your wedding before you can get a new passport.  On my honeymoon I used my maiden name for everything for simplicity.
  • I think it would be easier to wait. You have so much to deal with now with getting everything finished up and ready for the wedding and honeymoon. The name change can wait. Don't put anymore on your shoulders at this time than you absolutely have to. :) Besides, you'll need the marriage license to do all of the work anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards