Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

A decision I'm happy with....

Hi guys - so some of you know my FI's team at work was laid off the same week we got engaged. This has been tough on him emotionally, as he is still looking for a new job 6 months later. And, of course, a strain financially as I'm supporting both of us. So, I had my heart set on this beautiful diamond wedding band, and even with our friend making it, it came to $4,000 (much more than we were expecting). I was going to borrow money from my parents, and I know FI feels like it's one more thing he can't do. So, today I ordered a beautiful, simple platinum band for under $400, and I am so, so, so happy with the decision. It took off a tremendous amount of stress.

Just thought I would share this, if others are in this situation and feel torn between what they had planned on, and what they can do.....

Re: A decision I'm happy with....

• Options
    That definitely sounds hard. But I am really happy for you, that you were able to get something that you are still happy with.
  • Options
    Good for you! Your $400 band will mean just as much as the $4000 band when he puts it on your finger. I hope he finds a job soon.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!!! This relationship has taught me so much, about being a good partner, about what's important, about so many things that I didn't expect. And this time of financial strain has REALLY taught us a lot about each other, and I know beyond any doubt I am marrying the best man out there (tied with all of your DHs, of course!)
  • Options

Thanks guys!!! This relationship has taught me so much, about being a good partner, about what's important, about so many things that I didn't expect. And this time of financial strain has REALLY taught us a lot about each other, and I know beyond any doubt I am marrying the best man out there (tied with all of your DHs, of course!)
    Same for me. FI was laid off about 6 months ago, and I've been the sole bread-winner since. It has been so, so difficult and frustrating, but it has taught us both so much about each other and has strengthened our relationship (when I think it could have easily done the opposite).

I'm happy you were able to find something you love!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Good for you!  I'm sure it means so much to him to be able to buy this on his (and your?) own without needing to borrow.  You can ALWAYS get a diamond band later, you can never change how much it could have hurt his pride 
  • Options
    That's great!! So glad you could come to this decision. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Decisions like that are definitely hard to make.  My FI has had an unsteady job history this past year, for reasons beyond our control.  It's very hard sometimes.  We've had to cut back on a few things that we had our heart set on too.

I'm so glad you're happy with your decision!  I think it was a great choice!  You can always get a diamond anniversary band someday!  :)
  • Options
    That sounds great! I'm glad you're happy :)
  • Options
    I'm so glad you're happy with this choice.  Sounds like a great decision to me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Post removed due to GBCK
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Mine has been laid off since November...right as I quit the job I was at. Fortunately I still have my own money that comes in and we have been able to live off it. I know it wasn't something he's been happy with, a blow to the ego. And it was a major reason we had to postpone our wedding til next year.
    Thankfully he finally starts a new job tomorrow out of town, which means he's gone to the city during the week and home on the weekends. Not ideal, but that's the best situation for now. 
    The last seven months have definitely been stressful, but it has also shown us we can do this whole married thing...together 24/7, managing the tight finances, communication, and just not letting little things be bigger issues than they really are. It has been a real exercise for me to let go of things I can't control.
    A major thing with this wedding planning is realizing what is important to us and what would just be for show...and by that I just mean, if we can't afford it, we don't need it. Things have definitely been simplified, and I'm totally ok with that!

It's kind of amazing the way priorities can change, even in the midst of the chaos :)
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• Options
    My H wanted to buy me the biggest ring in the universe, but our finances were just not going to let that happen.  In fact, at the time, he was just out of law school and looking for a job, so finances weren't going to let any ring happen.

Fortunately, fate intervened and family heirloom rings were found around that time, and given to my H so he could propose to me.  

Between my wedding band and my engagement ring, they aren't worth 1k.  I don't care.  They are from a lady who was engaged in 1926 and had a successful marriage and happy life.  That means more to me than a huge honking stone.  So what if in 1920 they didn't have access to super clear diamonds in Idaho?  Anyone can get ahold of those.  Not everyone can get a family heirloom filled with a lifetime of love.
    I love this! :)
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• Options

Thanks ladies, for all of this!! FI found out today he didn't get a job that he has been on three interviews with, and it was such a blow. I was sitting here thinking, "are other women going through this??" and obviously there are. Some mornings I just feel like i have the weight of the world on my shoulders, because i have a demanding job, additional outside work i have to do that's related to my job but is unpaid (i.e. campaign work), the wedding and FI's job hunt - not being able to help him find a job is killing me. I'm a problem solver, I've found at least a dozen people jobs in the last year, and none of my contacts has come through. My best friend calmed me down today, and reminded me that we're not going hungry, we can afford our home, so I have to take a breath.

And ditto PPs, - this time, as stressful as it is, has made me realize that we really are taking each other in good time and bad, richer and poorer, etc. Huge electronic hugs to you guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards