Wedding Etiquette Forum

Putting ID required on invite.

2»

Re: Putting ID required on invite.

• I can't imagine going anywhere without ID.  But if she thinks this will be an issue, stick it on the website and tell people when she's talking to them about the wedding.
  • I wouldn't be TOO worried - most people have ID on them when in public. 
  • Personally, I think it's irresponsible to not carry your ID at all times.  You never know what's around the corner.  But that's just my opinion.

I don't generally drink in public, so I've never given this much thought.  I don't think that I would expect to get carded to drink at a wedding though.  However, if I'm going to drink, I always make sure to have it on me.

But given the variety of responses on here, it seems that a lot of people think differently on this.  I don't think it's weird that they'd card people, because again, it's a responsibility thing.  I would put in on the website and let people know by word of mouth.
    I am asking out of genuine curiosity, why is it "irresponsible" to not carry your ID? I think of irresponsible behavior as something that can harm or cause detriment to yourself or others, i.e. smoking pot isn't irresponsible but smoking pot when you know your job randomly drug tests is. I don't see the correlation in not carrying an ID when I'm out with H to lack of responsibility. Aside from not making the impulse decision to go to a bar unplanned or order alcohol at a restaurant, what is the detriment? In the digital age, I can easily confirm my identity to law enforcement without it.
    Perhaps "irresponsible" was the wrong word to use.  But it was better than any alternative words I came up with in my head.  This is just my view of it.  But then again, I'm a very anxious, paranoid person.  I am EXCELLENT at imagining the worst possible scenario.  Perhaps it falls along the lines of common sense, but that's just my opinion.  To each their own.  I could be a bit biased because the ONE time I didn't have my ID on me turned into a time where I REALLY needed it.  Big whoops moment for me...
  • I went to a wedding last night where I got carded.  No big deal.  I"m 28.  Even when I go without my wallet I know I need an ID.  The ID was in my husband's wallet because I planned for this possibility.  
  • So, what I'm reading so far is that carrying your ID is just what you are "supposed" to do, but no one actually has a solid reason for why one NEEDS to carry their ID if they aren't going to be using it. And as far as all the "worst case scenario" things go, if a serial killer abducts me, mangles my face beyond recognition, and removes my teeth, fingers, tattoos, scars, and birthmarks, do we really think he's going to NOT take my ID first? Even then, a DNA comparison will do it. What is this mysterious worst case scenario that is going to happen where I need to be identified while with my husband, where neither he or I will be able to do so? Note: I'm not trying to stir drama or offended, I'm just fascinated by all the responses I've read. The general consensus seems to be that one should ALWAYS have their ID when leaving the house, but I truly cannot figure out why, aside from convenient access to age-controlled substances or businesses.
    One person mentioned that they might end up needing it for driving purposes, even if they don't plan on driving. I agree with that. I can only speak for myself, here... I pretty much drive everywhere. And even when I'm with someone else who is driving, I always plan on maybe having to drive their car in an emergency. It's happened before, several times. 

I think the idea is that even if you don't plan on using it, plans sometimes change. And while it seems farfetched something terrible might happen, it's not farfetched that something realistic might happen, like a car accident. Or a side trip to the liquor store lol. Photo ids, like licenses, are the easiest and quickest way to let family members know that something happened to you.

If you don't think you'll need it for where ever it is you're going, though, then don't take it with you. You just can't blame the venue or who ever for not serving you alcohol when you know id should be asked for each and every time. Again, general you, not specifically you, of course.

• Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited July 2013
    Then I'm no help. Other knotties should have better ideas. Edit: I guess I just feel like even if you don't get carded, you should always expect to get carded. And if someone doesn't have their ID, it's their fault they don't get to drink and they shouldn't get mad about it.

Ditto this.  I've been carded at many weddings.  If I'm planning to drink I will have ID and if I'm refused a drink b/c I don't have ID it's my own damn fault.

ETA: @StageManager14 - how can you confirm your identity to law enforcement digitally?  genuine curiosity; I've never heard of cops accepting digital ID.  I'll walk the dog without ID, but if I'm actually going somewhere I never leave without it.  But we drive everywhere and even though H is the one actually driving 99% of the time when we're together there's always a chance.  And like PP the most downsized I ever get still includes cash, credit card, ID, and cell phone.

• Whenever I would go for a bike ride my mom would always tell me to bring some type of identification...just in case :).  From that - I've always carried an ID of some sort with me. My guess is not everyone does though.

But if I knew there was the possibility I was going to be having an adult beverage - I don't know why you wouldn't bring an ID with you...even if it is a wedding.  It is illegal for a place to serve underage individuals...how much would that suck if your wedding got busted for serving under age people? I'd just put an announcement of some sort on your website or word of mouth...like others have said - you and your FI probably know everyone coming - so it shouldn't be that awkward to spread that around verbally.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When I was working with an NGO in Ghana, some of my fellow workers didn't keep their passports on them and were stunned when they got caught at a police checkpoint without ID and were held for it. I don't always have my ID on me when I'm in the US (I do the majority of the time, as I keep it out of my wallet in a business card holder with my nursing license), but you can bet whenever I left the house in Ghana, I had my passport on me. Leaving the house without a passport in a foreign country is just dumb as hell.

• I'm with everybody else, I never leave the house without ID.  It's just sort of second nature.  If we are gong someplace and I don't want to carry a purse, I ask H to put it in his wallet.

@stagemanager14 - As a general rule I don't think a lot of people have memorized their DL #s.  I know I don't know mine and it's harder since MA stopped using SSN and you just get a random number.

• I never leave the house without my ID, even if I have no pockets and don't want to carry a purse, I will give it to FI to put in his wallet. 
    In the case of an emergency the more quickly they are able to identify you the better. They can contact you loved ones, and know about allergic reactions. ( I am aware that hospitals don't administer things that are known to cause allergic reactions ie penicillin anymore when they cant identify you, and that if you have a life threatening allergy that you should wear an ID bracelet) 

It's just not a good idea to leave the house without your ID drinking or not.  
  • Yup, like others if I don't feel like looking after a purse or whatever I give it to DH to keep in his wallet. At the very least I'll keep it in the car, but I'd rather have it somewhere I can grab it quickly. One of the two times I accidentally left the house without ID, H came down with what we thought was food poisoning (turned out to be a nasty stomach bug that I got to experience the next day) and quickly became too sick to drive. I don't think I've ever driven so carefully in my life, I was so afraid of getting pulled over and caught without my license, LOL.

@StageManager, I'm seriously impressed you know your license number, I don't think I know anyone who actually has theirs memorized! I know my social and my license plate number but not the one on my ID. But knowing it is not very helpful in situations where you're incapacitated or anything not involving the police really - bartenders and bank tellers can't look up your license number.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • It never would have occurred to me to tell adults to bring their ID to an event serving alcohol.  I don't think I've ever been carded at a wedding, but if I'm planning to drink, I bring an ID, no matter where it is.  

To me, carrying ID is just part of life (not to mention, I believe it's the law here for everyone over the age of 12 to carry a state-issued photo ID at all times, not that it's really enforced, but it's still the law), so if you choose not to carry one, you need to accept the consequences...if that's not being able to get a drink at a wedding, then that's no one's fault but your own.  I'd seriously side eye anyone bitching about not getting a drink when they didn't bring their ID. 
  • I typically take my ID with me every where, especially if I know I will be wanting a drink.  But sometimes H and I will go out and I will leave everything, even my phone, at home.  If we are just running out to grab a pizza or heading to see a movie and he is going to pay, then why the need to lug my purse around?  Now if I am by myself, then yes the ID comes along because well, it would probably be a bad idea to drive without it.

For weddings I typically take a clutch and throw my phone, ID, credit card and $20 bucks in it OR I give all that crap to my H to hold.

As for the police finding out who you are, they have many ways of doing that without the need of your ID.

• If I'm ever going out and not carrying my full wallet (running, bar, hiking, etc.), I always pull out my ID, a credit card, and my health insurance card. If there was ever an emergency, I want people to know who I am.

I see no need to print this information on your invitations. If people don't bring their ID, it's their own fault and they can have someone else go up and get them a drink.
    *********************************************************************************

• Then I'm no help. Other knotties should have better ideas. Edit: I guess I just feel like even if you don't get carded, you should always expect to get carded. And if someone doesn't have their ID, it's their fault they don't get to drink and they shouldn't get mad about it.

Ditto this.  I've been carded at many weddings.  If I'm planning to drink I will have ID and if I'm refused a drink b/c I don't have ID it's my own damn fault.

ETA: @StageManager14 - how can you confirm your identity to law enforcement digitally?  genuine curiosity; I've never heard of cops accepting digital ID.  I'll walk the dog without ID, but if I'm actually going somewhere I never leave without it.  But we drive everywhere and even though H is the one actually driving 99% of the time when we're together there's always a chance.  And like PP the most downsized I ever get still includes cash, credit card, ID, and cell phone.

I don't confirm it digitally, they do. If they need my ID for something (only ever happened once when we witnessed an accident), I give them my DL number and they pull it up on the computer of their car, same as they do when you hand them a DL. Every time they run your DL, they put in the number (or in some cases swipe it) and it pulls up the image and information the DMV has on file so they can verify it isn't a fake ID.

ahhhh gotcha.

Yeah, totally don't know my DL number.  Though it's probably not a bad idea to have that saved in my phone or something, just as a back-up...

• DL number is like a social security number in that you shouldn't leave it laying around.
    My friend's sister told the police my friend's DL number. They don't look much alike, but it worked, anyway. My friend got stuck with a HUGE violation to pay off, not to mention the points on her license.
  • HuckSCHuckSC member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

scribe95 said:
    Memorizing all this does nothing for you if you are unconscious on a sidewalk needing medical attention with police having no idea who you are...
    It won't matter if they know your name. You will be taken to a hospital and given O- blood.
  • If you're in an accident, the purpose of identification is for the police to notify family. They can use your address on your id to go to your home in hopes of finding someone there who would want to come for you. Or use your name to cross reference a missing person. It has nothing to do with withholding medical attention unless it's a DNR situation or something at that level.
  • If you're in an accident, the purpose of identification is for the police to notify family. They can use your address on your id to go to your home in hopes of finding someone there who would want to come for you. Or use your name to cross reference a missing person. It has nothing to do with withholding medical attention unless it's a DNR situation or something at that level.

And again, if my husband is with me, and I am in a place where I am known by most of the people there, this isn't an issue.
    Then don't carry id lol.

And again, if my husband is with me, and I am in a place where I am known by most of the people there, this isn't an issue.
    Then don't carry id lol.
    I don't. At least not in those circumstances. That's the point of the conversation, that when I posted that several people stated that it was irresponsible, etc. I asked why, and this the ensuing conversation.

I assumed when you began posting on it, you were participating. My bad.
    We all stated why we need it. Your needs aren't the same. That's all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards