Interfaith Weddings

Looking for a Priest and a Rabbi for Cleveland Wedding

Does anyone have any suggestions for a Catholic priest and a rabbi who will co-officiate our wedding.  I am catholic and understand the rules about being married in the church for the church to recognize the marriage, but I would still like to have a catholic priest co-officiate for our venue wedding plans with a rabbi.  Is this an impossibility?  Everything I am reading online seems so discouraging.

I'd appreciate any suggestions - names and contact information.  Again, this is for a wedding in Cleveland.

Thanks so much.

Re: Looking for a Priest and a Rabbi for Cleveland Wedding

• Hello! A Catholic priest isn't allowed to co-officiate a wedding, especially a ceremony outside the Church. I have also heard that it is difficult to find a rabbi that is willing to co-officiate as well. If you are set on your venue as the site of the ceremony, then you will not likely be able to have a Catholic ceremony. You are correct, that having a ceremony outside the Church would mean you(or whomever is the Catholic) are no longer able to receive sacraments such as communion going forward. I'm not sure what the repurcussions are for Jewish people that are not married according to their faith. If faith is important in your life (and/or your FIs) then it would be best to follow the proper form that your faith requires to be married.

You can incorporate elements of different religious ceremonies, however, be careful because that can be considered disrespectful to some. You don't want to appear that you are using elements for "show" when you don't believe in the faith behind them.

I hope this was helpful and that everything works out for you!
  • Also -- there are local boards along the left hand side and you might have better luck posting this there...
  • Good evening Jacqueline,
    I would like to discuss your upcoming wedding.
    Rabbi Michael Raab
    239-404-7298
  • Catholic priests are allowed to co-officiate weddings. I was married on November 3 in a Catholic Church which was co-officiated with a Jewish Cantor. Please look into Cantor Debbi Ballard http://www.mypersonalcantor.com/. She co-offciated the ceremony and it was absolutely beautiful. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful/special ceremony.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OH Michelle, how sweet!  I just happened to come across this post and was going to reply to Jacqueline, but I see you already did!  Thank you SO much!
    Jacqueline - if you need any assistance please don't hesitate to contact me.
    Thanks!
    Debbi
  • I posted this on another discussion in the forum, but it applies here as well (at least as it related to rabbis):

Try this website: http://www.interfaithfamily.com/jml/index.php?option=com_civicrm&view=Profiles&Itemid=62&rd=2 

They will send you a list of rabbis that will co-officiate in your area.  There are also several around the country that can do it, but you will have to pay for travel and accommodations in addition to their fee.

Another *tedious* way to find one is to search all the reform synagogues in that area, and call or e-mail each clergy to see if they will co-officiate an interfaith ceremony.  

I did both and the website sent me a list of 6 rabbis/cantors, and I found another few with the second option
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards