Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Meeting a celebrant - What to expect

Hi all,

I met a potential celebrant today, and I wasn't impressed. Maybe I was expecting the wrong thing? He was nice, but very business like. He seemed to have no interest in us as a couple, and didn't ask any questions about us. Now, obviously we weren't there to recount our love story in great detail, but I thought he might have at least asked how long we have been together, something like that. He was all business, how he operates, how the ceremony would run, how his services worked. He said he would ask us about us after we had booked him. It just seemed so... odd that he would only take an interest after he was being paid to.

He was just very... business like. It felt like a business transaction, not a meeting with the person who would marry you. If it were any other vendor it would be fine, but I thought the person marrying us would take the time to get to know us as a couple. It's a two way street; We have to be willing to have them, but they have to be willing to have us as well!

Am I expecting the wrong thing here?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Meeting a celebrant - What to expect

• Just check into others. My officiant asked lots of questions, but it's in a church, so she has to decide it we're worthy of getting married by her, basically. I assume this man is a JOP, so it is his business. 

It sounds like you want to look into others, which is perfectly fine. Or in some places, you can have a family member or friend perform the ceremony. 
  • I don't think your necessarily expecting the wrong thing, just someone with a different style. I'm being married by a pastor as well, but I have plenty of friends who have used a JOP and specifically commented that their officiant really got to know them. Good luck, just keep searching!
  • We met with a celebrant in St Louis and she was very professional, though also very interested in creating what we wanted in a ceremony. She did ask about us--and I believe before we wrote the check--but the entire meeting was so relaxed and already about our ceremony that it wasn't off-putting. Keep hunting--sounds like this guy isn't right for you.
  • Are officiant was very interested in what we wanted from our ceremony and what our styles were (I was all demanding about everything being gender-neutral and not being called Mrs. Aaron ____). But she didn't ask how we met, got engaged or how long we've been together or anything.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards