Catholic Weddings

Gospel reading

I just want to verify that it's okay to have a lay person (ie my Catholic, church-going family member) read the Gospel at our wedding Mass. I know it's fine for the first two readings, but it dawned on me that usually it's done by a Deacon. There will not be a Deacon at our Mass, just our priest. I think this is okay, but can someone confirm? I will feel like a big ole dope if I have to un-ask my Godfather or FI's cousin!

Re: Gospel reading

• I'm pretty sure only a deacon or priest can do the gospel reading.

We rarely ever have a deacon at mass at my church, and we didn't have a deacon at our wedding, so the priest just read the gospel like he always does.

Only the first two readings can be read by laity.

SaveSave
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    lisabeats said:
    I just want to verify that it's okay to have a lay person (ie my Catholic, church-going family member) read the Gospel at our wedding Mass. I know it's fine for the first two readings, but it dawned on me that usually it's done by a Deacon. There will not be a Deacon at our Mass, just our priest. I think this is okay, but can someone confirm? I will feel like a big ole dope if I have to un-ask my Godfather or FI's cousin!

You can have the third person read the intercessions.

I've never seen anyone but a priest or deacon read the Gospel.

• Only the priest or deacon is allowed to read the Gospel.
  • Also, is your Psalm being sung or spoken?  There's another potential reader opportunity :)
  • Ditto PPs; the Gospel is proclaimed by a priest/deacon. Only the first and second readings, the responsorial psalms, and the general intercession a can be read by the laity. And I have no idea if those can be done by non-Catholics. All of our Mass participants are Catholics. We figured that Catholics would already know how the Mass was supposed to go and it would be smoother.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • lemclane said:
    Ditto PPs; the Gospel is proclaimed by a priest/deacon. Only the first and second readings, the responsorial psalms, and the general intercession a can be read by the laity. And I have no idea if those can be done by non-Catholics. All of our Mass participants are Catholics. We figured that Catholics would already know how the Mass was supposed to go and it would be smoother.

That's what we figured too-that Catholics know how its done.  But it's definitely not a requirement.  Anybody is allowed to read.

If you still need ideas, do you have anyone to present the Gifts yet?  Our priest said we could have 2-4 people, and none of them have to be Catholic either.

• Thanks for all the input. The source I was using (and it was on the interwebs... so I was just certain I could trust it) said a lay person could read it in absence of a deacon, but I am siding with ya'll that it's not okay. I already have someone for gifts, but I think I will just shuffle around the three people for readings and intercessions. My Godfather wanted a bigger part in the wedding, but we asked that he instead do a reading. We've also asked FI's Godmother and cousin to read. I had decided on my Godfather for the Gospel, since it's a more significant reading and part (as to "make up" for not having him cantor). However, I'll probably just move it around and ask FI's cousin to do the intercessions, and have my Godfather do the second reading. All of the above are Catholic, and I agree that should help move things along. Thanks again, everyone!
  • @wittykitty14 Good to know! Given that FI and I can only get three of our nine BP members (three BMs, three GMs, one FG, two RBs) to show up for our rehearsal, we thought having Catholics do the readings would just make it easier. :) I'm not going to force people to attend our rehearsal, but I'm also not willing to involve people who don't know what's going on. My cousin and FI's best friend are lector a at their own parishes; they've got this. Our cantor is lead cantor at her parish; she's got this. But thanks for the info!!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards