Moms and Maids

How Much Was The Shower?

Hello All!I wanted to ask everyone who has thrown a shower this question:

I'm the MOH in an upcoming wedding and I'm planning a Bridal Shower for the bride along with her other 3 BMs. We all sat down last week to do some preliminary planning (like what kind of food and decor we wanted). We want to keep it pretty basic as to the decor and focus mainly on good food. The guest list is 40 people, but some of them are OOT and won't show up, so it'll probably be more like 30 people and we will be having it in someones home. Last night I sat down and figured out how much everything will cost. Currently I estimated it would be about $400. Is this a normal amount? I know in different areas the price would change, but I just want to get a general idea.

Re: How Much Was The Shower?

• Is the $400 for you or is the $400 total and about $100 per BM?  If $100 per BM I would assume normal if it's not at a local establishment and at someone's house.   I'm currently the MOH in the wedding where the mom's taken over the shower and it's WAY beyond $400.  My part of it alone is about $350 not including gift.  The shower will be sit down and everyone gets to choose their own meal....it's seriously more formal/elegent then my entire wedding will be, but I digress.   Anyway, I would say that $100 a person is good and that somewhere between there and $150 is typical (unless you go super fancy and rent out places, cater, etc).
  • The $400 is total. I'm planning on paying for most of it, like $200, and the other BMs pay the rest.
  • When I planned my SIL's shower I spent about $500. I didn't have to pay for a venue, center pieces, or about 1/3 of the food.
  • The cost of the shower should be whatever the hosts are willing/able to contribute

@LakeR2014 I hope the MOB is paying for the shower, since she took over planning it. She shouldn't expect you to chip in $350. You shouldn't feel obligated to buy a gift on top of that. Around here (CT), it's typical for the MOB, MOG or other close relative to pay for the food, since showers tend to include family members. We don't expect the bms to pay to feed our relatives. 

• Just in general, that sounds like a completely normal amount to pay for a hosted event with 30 guests.
  • As long as each BM is willing, able and ok with paying $67 each for the shower then it sounds fine.  But make sure that they are ok with that amount before proceeding with anything.

• As long as each BM is willing, able and ok with paying $67 each for the shower then it sounds fine.  But make sure that they are ok with that amount before proceeding with anything.

The other BMs said they would pay up to $100 each
  • That seems pretty reasonable to me. I've never done bridal shower, but I did a baby shower for my sister for about $200, and we had about 25 guests and kept decorations very minimal. If we'd had more guests or fancier anything, I could easily see spending a few hundred more. If you're looking for areas to save/cut back, I'd go with the decor. Keep it simple, no one's going to remember it anyway. Spend money on good food.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • My aunt and MoH threw might shower at a restaurant for brunch.
    15 guests, meals there tend to range from $9-15. Everyone could have whatever drinks they wanted. I think most tended to have one bellini or mimosa. There also cupcakes and a single pot of flowers for centerpiece. The restaurant put us in a corner so they didn't need to rent a space. If I had to guess I'd say it probably came out to roughly $25pp so less than $400 for the hosts, and it was fabulous.

But there are definitely some amazing recipes that are not hard if you want to do some of the cooking yourself to save some cash.
  • I think $400 total sounds good since it sounds like you are spending alot of that on food.

At the end of the day any amount is acceptable if everyone involved with the paying & planning is ok with it!

Anniversary
  • It sounds pretty reasonable to me. We gave a shower for my daughters best friend at a local restaurant and it cost about $500.00 between the 4 of us. It included, the venue, sandwiches, soup and drinks, dessert and included the tip. Well worth it. I gave another one about a month ago for my best friends daughter at a tea house, that was $12.00 per person 20 and two of us split the cost.  It was so relaxing having it at a restaurant, no cleaning, no set up, etc. The best part was  both Brides to be loved it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards