Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Seeing your significant other before the wedding???

What do you think of this article? http://www.examiner.com/article/the-first-look-should-you-see-your-significant-other-before-the-wedding

My hubby and I did not see each other first, but in retrospect, I feel like I would have been okay with it.  

Re: Seeing your significant other before the wedding???

• Options
    We wanted to do a first look, but since we got married in the morning, we decided we would have to be up and ready way too early. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We're doing one because I know I'll be a mess, and our photogs recommended it.
  • Options
    FI was adamant that I don't see him before the church doors open. He's asked for all of three things, so I didn't fight him on it. 
  • Options
    We've got limited time in the church post-ceremony, so we're doing one. 

Well that and I'm afraid I'll be all stupid and emotional, and I hate crying in front of people. 
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

We saw each other in the morning when we woke up, separated to get ready, and saw each other again at the altar. We didn't find a designated "first look" necessary.

• Options
    FI was adamant that I don't see him before the church doors open. He's asked for all of three things, so I didn't fight him on it. 
    Same here. FI is a super easy going guy, but he wanted this, not to know anything about the dress, and a photo booth (random). I'm going with it. I really wish we were doing a first look, but oh well. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    scribe95 said:
    Best decision we ever made to do one. We had a wonderful moment together alone in the chapel (captured on film of course) and the timing helped to have photos out of the way so we could enjoy the reception. It also had the added bonus of relaxing my hubby, who was nervous being in front of a bunch of people.
    Same for me. I was so happy to get so many pictures out of the way so we could enjoy all of our reception.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think we'll be doing one. We're getting married at a church, but can't get in there early because they have a mass before our wedding and we're not getting ready at the same place. We'd have to go somewhere to take pictures and then go to the church. And then go to the reception. I think it would just be more logistics that would stress me out. I'd probably have to drag the bridal party along, eh I dunno.

We'll have between 7 and 8PM to take photos at the reception venue when the guests are at cocktail hour. If the photographer decides that's too little time or too late and we're losing sunlight we might do it.

I'd personally rather not though.
    Anniversary
  • Options

All things being equal, I would have preferred to do a first look, but we had a morning wedding and an hour of photos before the ceremony would have meant getting up at 5:30am instead of 6:30...not worth it.

Upon consideration, given how emotional I was before the ceremony, I probably would have cried all my makeup onto my dress or something if we had done one.  For some reason I calmed down completely when I actually started walking down the aisle...but before then, I was getting teary-eyed at the slightest provocation.  So maybe it's for the best that we didn't.

• Options
    We are not doing one... FI doesn't want to and neither do I.  In fact I had a pic of my dress on our computer by accident (phone backed up & didn't think about it) and when my FI almost saw it he nearly had a conniption and made me delete it immediately LOL - I think its sweet that he wants to keep it traditional.  We have allotted enough time to do our pics after the ceremony while guests transition to the reception location and enjoy some drinks and apps.  The only thing we haven't figured out is sleeping arrangements the night before the wedding... I want to stay at home so he  might be getting kicked out hehe
  • Options
    rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    I am trying to convince my FI to do a first look. The hotel where we are getting ready has beautiful gardens and in the fall the flowers will be so pretty. Plus, I just think it would be nice to have some alone time before the craziness of the wedding begins.
  • Options
    We won't be doing a first look. I'm not a fan of them. I just happened to mention it to my FI in random passing, and he went on and on about tradition and how he doesn't want to see me in my dress until I'm walking down the aisle toward him. I'm fine with this, and I like how he's so passionate about it. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No first look. I was surprised, because my fiance is nontraditional in almost every other aspect, but he said he didn't want to see me until I walked down the aisle. I was shocked! This means I'm going to have to make someone hide all my cocktail yummies behind a potted plant so I can eat them later. :-)
  • Options
    I originally didn't want to do a first look, but when we met with our photographer to go over the photo timeline, we would have only had about 10 min to take pics of just the two of us.  I'm really glad we did the first look though, it was less stressful, and I was glad to spend more time with my H on our wedding day.
  • Options
    I really wanted a first look but my fiance wasn't sold on it. I thought it would give us a more intimate moment to see eachother for the first time on the day, but he was big into tradition. Our photographer sent a list of common photographs that might be expected and how long it would take and my fiance was totally overwhelmed. I think we'll end up doing the photos before the ceremony so that we can have time after to just appreciate being married and then go right into the reception. 
  • Options
    We originally thought the day would shake out to allow for a first look, but it didn't.  H saw me for the first time when I walked down the aisle.  He later told me that he was extremely grateful, because that's how he'd always imagined  and wanted it.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options

My plan is like MrsRidings :

We did not do the first look. We did my bridals and him and the groomsmen pictures and him with his family before the ceremony. So afterward it took 20-30 mins max to take the rest after the ceremony.
    I've been to some "first look" weddings and the couples enjoyed them, but I'm stuck on wanting that aisle moment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Actually its bad luck in Scotland and Ireland to see your fiancé before your wedding. So because Im going to follow those traditions based on my heritage- I don't think we will see each other until afterwards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards