Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Pinning of the Tartan

Has anyone else done this? I think its really sweet. A scottish groom wears a kilt with his family's tartan, and after the ceremony he pins a matching tartan to his bride's dress, symbolising that she has been accepted into his family. We are definitely doing this! Though in a strapless dress he'll probably be sticking it to my skin instead!

Re: Pinning of the Tartan

• Sounds nice if you're actually Scottish. ( I don't like when people adopt other peoples views just to do something 'cute' or 'fun' at their wedding). 
  • If you or he are Scottish, this sounds like a wonderful tradition to include, especially if your groom is wearing tartan/a kilt.. Would make a great photo op and I'm sure your relatives will love it. I am Scottish but I've never witnessed this before.
  • @EllaYoung
    Just curious. If you don't want to say, it's fine. But why was your family kicked out of Scotland?
  • We'll be doing a Quaich ceremony, instead of a tartan exchange. The Quaich is a two-handled drinking cup from which the bride and groom are supposed to drink - a symbolic joining of the families. We're including our families in this ceremony, too. And the Quaich we're using was my grandmother's, so it will be really beautiful. 
  • I'm an office holder in my International Scottish Society.   There are all kinds of protocol about wearing the tartan.  When you pin the tartan, you don't pin it to the shoulder, as you're marrying INTO the Scottish clan.  You drape the piece of material over your RIGHT shoulder (left shoulder indicates your a clan chief or the wife of a clan chief), cross it over your body, and pin it on your left hip.  No straps/sleeves needed.  You could also buy a "rosette" and a scarf of the clan tartan, but again, that's pinned to the right shoulder, not left, and you'd definitely need sleeves/straps for that.    If you go with the rosette, you'll also probably want to get the clan badge, because the rosettes are fashioned so that you pin something in the middle of it, like a brooch.  Clan badges are fairly inexpensive.  

While the MOG can pin the tartan, sometimes the sisters of the groom do it. 

There's a great book called "so you're going to wear the kilt" that has all the gents guidance about wearing kilt, and the back few pages are how women can wear the tartan  and kilted skirt. 

image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I love it! I'm hoping to do it at my wedding because I'm Scottish/ Irish as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards