Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photographers

At about how many guests do you guys think its necessary (or desired) to have two photographers instead of one? A lot of photographers have told us anything over 120, but I've seen other places over 150? I know this is going to be a relative thing, but some guideline of those who have made this decision already would be super helpful!

Re: Photographers

• At about how many guests do you guys think its necessary (or desired) to have two photographers instead of one? A lot of photographers have told us anything over 120, but I've seen other places over 150? I know this is going to be a relative thing, but some guideline of those who have made this decision already would be super helpful!
    I thought the 1 vs 2 photographers was based upon the types of photos you wanted, not the number of guests.  For example, if you want photos from the front of you walking down the aisle while another photographer captures the view from the back.  Or one photographer up near the altar capturing the ceremony while one is on the 2nd level of the church getting the overhead view. Things like that.  

Guest count doesn't seem too relevant.  You will never get everyone in attendance in a photo. We had one photographer and about 100 guests and many are not in photos.  People who don't want to be in photos won't.  

I would base your decision on the types of photos you want, not the guest count.
  • I was at a wedding with 400 guests and watched the same husband & wife team I hired cover that in a very efficient and professional way. It all depends on the level of expertise, I suppose. I am having about 125-150 overall and I have that same team so I am confident they will do a great job. I guess what you need to make sure of if you are hiring a photographer you should ask them if their 2nd or even 3rd are experienced WEDDING photographers, not just interns or assistants.
  • I agree with Joan.  Unless you are having an extremely large wedding (200+, in my opinion) the justification for having one or two photographers depends on the types & number of pictures you want.  It also helps if you have a tight timeline, your main photographer can be with you and your party while getting ready, and the other photog can be with your groom and his groomsmen..etc.  We're having a small-ish wedding (~80) and we're having two photogs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards