Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Hand Painted Cakes

Has anyone ever done a hand-painted cake for their wedding? I was wondering what the price range (if you don't mind me asking) for something like this would cost vs. a buttercream cake. I just love the details that are going into something like this!

Re: Hand Painted Cakes

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

This is an international board, so costs and experiences of posters will vary greatly.

Your best bet will be to get quotes from bakeries in your area. Any time you have more detail, that will generally mean a higher cost.

• It depends on where you're living, really. But considering my baker charges me $15/tier to put a ribbon on the base of each tier, I'm going to guess this kind of detailing will be incredibly expensive. 
  • itzMS said:

This is an international board, so costs and experiences of posters will vary greatly.

Your best bet will be to get quotes from bakeries in your area. Any time you have more detail, that will generally mean a higher cost.

I am planning on doing that, but I was hoping for a little bit of an idea. I get that it might range greatly, but it would be nice to try and figure out how much to put aside in my wedding budget for a cake. I would hate to spend money somewhere else and then to turn around and find out that I did not have enough for cake. How early do people typically start getting quotes for a wedding cake?

Also, I was under the impression that cakes typically are charged per person (anywhere from $6-12 was what a friend from work told me)
  • Cakes are typically per person. $12 sounds very high to me. Ours is about $5/person. 

Call bakers in your area and go in for a consult as early as you want - it doesn't really matter. I went a year out because that's when I had time.  Many do free tastings as well. I wouldn't book later than 3-4 months out. 
  • The sheer labor hours involved in doing that design are what is going to cost you.

I'm not sure how many people that you are planning to have at your wedding, but if a cake is 2 tiers (let's say), expect to pay at minimum $3.50-$5.00 per person without fondant or a custom design. That cake has fondant on it, and it is a custom design for most pastry shops so you're probably looking at around $5.50-8.00 per person (again minimum for a cake that has 2 tiers). If you add more tiers, add more to the per person price.

If you're looking for a custom design like that and want to keep the cost down as much as possible, consider a few things like serving the entire cake (not saving the top tier for the first anniversary) so you don't need to pay for more than you need. If you like the idea of having that cake on your anniversary, mention that to the bakery, and they might throw in a deal where they'll make you cupcakes or something in the same flavors if you come back a year later.

• Also, I should have mentioned the cost I quoted is typical to my area. Your area might be different.
  • AmyS2645 said:

The sheer labor hours involved in doing that design are what is going to cost you.

I'm not sure how many people that you are planning to have at your wedding, but if a cake is 2 tiers (let's say), expect to pay at minimum $3.50-$5.00 per person without fondant or a custom design. That cake has fondant on it, and it is a custom design for most pastry shops so you're probably looking at around $5.50-8.00 per person (again minimum for a cake that has 2 tiers). If you add more tiers, add more to the per person price.

If you're looking for a custom design like that and want to keep the cost down as much as possible, consider a few things like serving the entire cake (not saving the top tier for the first anniversary) so you don't need to pay for more than you need. If you like the idea of having that cake on your anniversary, mention that to the bakery, and they might throw in a deal where they'll make you cupcakes or something in the same flavors if you come back a year later.

Thanks, your information is really helpful! I appreciate the answer :-)
  • First, start with calling your local bakeries and pastry personnel.  Find out an AVERAGE price per person for a wedding cake, both WITH and WITHOUT fondant.  The photo you showed is hand-painted custom work on fondant.  Ask if they can handle hand-painted custom design work on fondant and if they charge by the job, by the hour, or by the slice for that type of work.  Then find out what that cost is.  This will give you an idea to work from

As for when to order?  As soon as you can.  Certainly, if you find someone who can do this kind of work for you, at a cost you are willing to pay, and you like their work (including the visual as well as the taste), put down a deposit!  In my business as an independent pastry chef, if you don't have a deposit with me, you are not on my calendar.  Very simple.  You can put down a deposit first and then place your order later, if you want, so you can get the baker you have your heart set on.

Just a little FYI.  Hope it helps.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards