Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Church Wedding Shower Dilemma

I grew up in a medium-sized town. My parents still live there and attend the church that I grew up in. Several months ago I was approached by two ladies in my mother's Sunday School class, asking if they could throw me a wedding shower. Since then the list of "hostesses" has grown to 9 ladies, including all the women in that Sunday School class. I am close to only about half of these women but I assume they jumped on board because they care about my mother and want to help. They asked me for a guest list but I get the impression they mean this to be a large affair involving most of the church ladies. This isn't uncommon at Southern churches, so I don't feel awful about people coming to the shower who are not invited to the wedding. What I do question is: must I invite all 9 "hostesses" to the wedding? I now live about 3 hours away from the church where the shower is being held, so maybe they wouldn't all come, but I'm still left feeling like I need to extend those invitations at the risk of hurting the feelings of people who are doing something nice for me. Help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Church Wedding Shower Dilemma

• Options
    Work showers and the sort of church shower you're talking about here are traditionally the exceptions to the "shower guests must be invited to the wedding" rule, and I pretty much think that holds true for the host(esse)s, too.  But you've kind of made it sound like you're inviting some of the hostesses, but not all?  If that's true, I'd have to think about whether that's a problem, and my answer would depend on how close you were to the ones you were inviting.
  • Options
    Also, have you talked to your mom about this? They are her friends.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards