Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Italy

Hi everyone!!
We are getting married in January, but will be taking a honeymoon during the summer in 2014 (I am a teacher, so it's just not doable right after the wedding).
We are leaning toward Italy.
Any suggestions would be marvelous! We want to split our time between the coast and some cities, but would love some input! Any "must see" places? We really don't know where to go, we just know it is beautiful and have both never been, so it seems perfect.
Thanks!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker "Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden where the flowers are dead." - Oscar Wilde

Re: Italy

• Options
    I'm going to Venice (3 days), Florence (3 days)  and Rome (4 days) next month, so I'll let you know when we get back!  We are very excited though, one of the places we are most excited about is the Cinque Terre, which we are doing as a day trip out of Florence.

We are still looking into booking a few tours for Rome, mostly ones that bypass lines for the popular attractions since we'll be there in the height of tourist season (it was actually the cheapest time for us to go surprisingly).

I've read that the weather is usually can get into the 90's, so if that's hot to you, keep that in mind since most of the time will be outside walking around.  It's going to be 118 here this week for me though, so 90 sounds lovely.  LOL.
  • Options
    Thanks CMgr. I will look into all that! Florence sounds up our alley. 
    Pepper- Have a blast!! Can't wait to hear about it. :) Come back to this message when you get home lol. Safe travels!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden where the flowers are dead." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Budget and how long do you want to travel? H and I travel quite a bit so we don't mind bouncing around. We spent 16 nights in Italy last summer for our anniversary - 2 nights Venice, 3 Florence, 4 Tuscany (Montepulciano), 4 Positano, and 3 Rome. I loved our itinerary and our hotels for Tuscany (Villa Cicolina) and Positano (Marincanto). I think we had a nice balance of relaxing and sightseeing. We rented a car for the Tuscany portion but traveled by train all other times. It's easy, so I can definitely recommend seeing more than one city. Each one is so different from the others. We loved the Rick Steves Italy guide.
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    I've traveled to Italy twice & my favorite areas/cities include the Cinque Terre, Venice, Rome & Siena. If you go to Rome try to spend a minimum of 3-4 days if not more; there is a lot to see and the crowds can be overwhelming, especially if you are visiting during the hot summer months.

I've got multiple entries in my trave blog on Italy if you'd like more info:
  • Options
    Italy is SO wonderful, I'm very jealous you are going for your honeymoon.

CMGr is spot on with her recommendations.  I could also add that Venice, for me, wasn't really as worthwhile as other stops.  It is so overrun with tourists that there is not a lot of culture to absorb there (it's super small)
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    All the above recommendations are great. The only thing I have to add is to at least make a day trip (if not overnight) to Lake Como. It's stunning. 
  • Options
    H and I almost went to Italy for our HM.  We just couldn't afford what we really wanted to do and didn't want to do a shorter version (to me, it's not worth going unless you can afford a couple weeks, but that's your call).

But I've been to Italy before.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Rome.  Could live there.  I second Vatican city/St. Peters, but I also loved the Colosseum.  Something amazing about just being actually there, and not just looking at pictures.  Honestly, to me, there's very little not to see in Rome.  The whole city is full of treasures.

Florence was great too, but I personally wouldn't spend more than a couple days there.

The other city I went to was Assisi, which is a great choice if you want to see a small medieval town with rich history and important religious significance (Hello St. Francis!)

If H and I had gone, or if we can go in the future, we really want to go to Capri.  It is really expensive, and I know a big tourist spot, but it just sounds amazingly beautiful and romantic.  

Have a great time!

SaveSave
  • Options
    Amazing feedback thank you!! 

Chicago (sorry I can't see your name lol) - you definitely went to many places. I think for us, so many places would be too much. Is there anything you would cut out? I know...probably a hard question lol. 
    We are going to do two weeks as well and it will certainly be a "splurge" trip. We haven't nailed down a budget yet, because we don't know what the typical cost would be for a trip like this (I know flight can be around 2,000 so I know it is expensive). What is a typical range do you think?

Jen  - I am definitely going to check out your blog! Awesome!!!

Has anyone been to Capri? We are thinking that could be very relaxing. All the city recommendations are stellar. Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    I took a one month trip to Italy a few years back, and I loved it. I spent a week each in Rome, Florence, Amalfi coast, and Sicily. I didn't make it to Capri (I don't do well with boat travel!) but was at another small village in Amalfi and I think it would be a great choice for a honeymoon. Definitely a lot more relaxing than the big cities where you'll want to see so many sites. Have a great trip!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In two weeks, I really wouldn't go to more than 3-4 cities.

Our original plan was a week in rome, a few days in florence, a few days in capri, and one night in venice.  

The problem is, you just can't do it all, so you need to choose a good balance.  For example, I would choose either Capri or Lake Como (which I too have heard is amazingly beautiful) or something else in the beautiful/scenic/coastal category.  This would be your relax/walk around part of the trip.  

Then pick one or two cities for more culture, history, nightlife, etc.  This would be the more active part of your trip.

That's why I would suggest Rome-Florence-Capri, or Rome-Venice-Lake Como, or something like that.  

When I was originally planning an italy honeymoon, I found that it was only a tiny bit more money to fly into one city and out the other.  So it would definitely help to fly into Naples (and take the ferry to Capri) and then fly out of Florence, for example.  

I would also plan to use public transport most places.  I used nothing but buses and trains in Florence and Rome and no problem at all.  

The money spent can really range so much, but we were planning around 8-9,000 for our 15 day-ish honeymoon in Italy (Capri-Rome-Florence-Venice).  We were planning to splurge on our Capri hotel, but stay in more modest rooms everywhere else.  And rent an apartment in Rome because it can often be cheaper, plus you can do laundry and cook a few meals at home.  But it also depends on things like if you drink (we don't really, so our meals would tend to be cheaper, although house wine is very affordable in Italy).  Or if you have some plans for any expensive excursions.

I'm the kind of person that budgets everything out (I'm a type-A planner).  

SaveSave
  • Options

i've been 3 times over the last 5 years to a bunch of different cities-some once, some (like florence my fave 3 times). everyone feels differently about each city. i suggest yhat you get some guide books and start reading. see what appeals to YOU. see if you can locate a TA who specializes in italy. i love chianti. i'm not going to tell you to stay in tuscay at a winery that makes chianti if you drink onlu beer.  (but if you need someplace to stay in tuscany let me know).

also it's hot as hades in july and height of tourist season. if you can go another time of year then do it. you'll save your sanity.

• Options
    FI and I are going to the Amalfi Coast for our honeymoon in September. We've got 4 days in Praiano, 4 days in Capri and then back to Rome for 3 days before we fly home with a stop in England to visit family. I'm so excited I could burst!
  • Options
    This is all so so so helpful. Thank you!!!
  • Options
    If you want to cut down on the hopping, I'd probably do Florence (with a day trip to Tuscan hill towns), Amalfi Coast (I'd choose Positano with a day trip to Capri), and Rome. Honestly, we weren't all that impressed with Capri. If you want an island with a ton of Fendi and Gucci stores, it's awesome. ;) It was my first inclination to go there as well, but then I was taken by the look of Positano and the recommendations we got from friends who had been there. Positano is definitely one of our favorite places in the world and we've been all over. I can't recommend it enough over Capri. It's super easy to take the ferry over if you want to see what you're (not) missing. We hired a boat (Gianni's Boat) for a day around the island - that was amazing, then we walked around the island itself. One day there was more than enough!
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    That sounds awesome. I am happy to hear this. Too often, we go some place because we hear it is amazing, and we end up disappointed!! lol. Thanks!
    I am sure the food is good there too...
  • Options

Although I haven't been to Positano, I love Capri.  I just returned from a Florence/Tuscany/Cinque Terre vacation.  I loved all three for different reasons.  Florence has culture and was a beautiful city.  I've been there in summer before (near 100 degrees).  The Cinque Terre is so beautiful.  It was a nice rest after being in a city filled with so much to do.  Our favorite experience was hiking through vineyards on the coastal hills above the village in Manarolo.  I'm so glad that we did our own driving tour in Tuscany versus a bus tour.  We set our own pace and stopped in hill towns as we drove.  We never got lost with GPS.  My husband still raves about the villa we rented with spectacular views. 

Rome is another fascinating big city.  It's more sprawling, but you can get to the main sights using a combo of their metro and walking. 

Since we stayed so far south in Tuscany, we could have easily gotten on the train (super efficient in Italy) and been in Rome in an hour. 

• Options
    CMGr said:
      Buy a copy of Rick Steves Italy.
    Couldn't agree more. I don't ever go to Europe without his books. They're awesome and spot on with all the recommendations.

My top 3 places in Italy would be: Rome (3 days), Venice (2 days), Cinque Terre (2 days). If you have more time, then you can add on.
    Vacation
  • Options
    Tulips29Tulips29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Does anyone know what the weather is like in Italy in March? We're also considering Italy for our honeymoon. Thanks! =)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My sister, brother and sister in law went to Italy at the end of February a few years back and the weather was alright. Rain on some days, sunny on other and temperatures in the 40's - with a few days peaking into the 50s.
  • Options
    marina4ka said:
    Does anyone know what the weather is like in Italy in March? We're also considering Italy for our honeymoon. Thanks! =)

depends on which part you want to visit. the weather varies.

• Options
    Also, in case OP or any other bride reading is Catholic, if you want to go to Rome for your honeymoon and go to a papal audience, you can usually meet the Pope :)  You just have to order the newlywed tickets and you can sit in the front row and receive a blessing (they're free, but take some time to order).  Just throwing that out there!

SaveSave
  • Options
    BarbLovesDaveBarbLovesDave member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    I have traveled all over Europe and have been to Italy several times. In addition to what the PPs suggested, I'll add Ravenna. That is home to one of the earliest Christian communities in the pre-Christian Roman Empire. They have some stunning mosaics, which were used to tell the story of Christ before stained glass became popular.

There are too many "must-sees" to see them all. Here is what I tell people who are planning their first trip to Europe. Instead of trying to see everything and do everything, just focus on a few interesting things, then plan to return later to see more. You are young and have lots of time for more trips to Europe.

Rick Steves' books are good. I also like Eyewitness books where they show you as well as tell you.

Here are a few things to consider:

How are you planning to get around? Rent a car? Public transport? Train? I don't recommend driving in Rome, but renting a car to get around the countryside is OK. Trains are also good, however, you need to research schedules and stations, plus arrange for transport once the train gets you to the destination.

What kind of trip do you want? Lots of sightseeing? Museums and art? Roman Empire? Relaxing on a beach? Nightlife? Shopping? Music? Pick a few categories of activities and decide how you want to allocate your time. Then, get out a map and start looking at logistics.

Have you considered taking a class while you are there? It might be interesting to take a class in Italian Cooking three mornings a week, then spend the rest of your time doing other things. In a class, you will meet natives, plus other tourists.

Do you want a package tour? For some, a package tour is exactly right. They leave the logistics to someone else to worry about and just go with the flow. I have friends who LOVE package tours. Write a check, pack, and show up at the airport. Personally, I HATE package tours as I have been to Europe so much that I just prefer to go it on my own. If I want to stay in an interesting museum longer, I stay. If I want to cut a visit short, I cut it short.

I could totally stay in Rome for two weeks straight and never have a boring moment, and I've already been there a few times.
  • Options
    tlc35tlc35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    We just came back from our HM in Spain and Italy. Maybe we got lucky but it wasn't that hot. Budget wise ours was about 10K for 18 days and I think we came in a bit under. We went to Rome, Venice and Siena. Rome had some amazing things to see but it was petty crowded especially at the Vatican. We really liked the piazzas and the coliseum. My favorite was actually Siena. You get to see some amazing architecture and art without as much crowds and hustle and bustle. Venice is pretty darn cool with all the canals but super confusing. Buy a good map! It is small and has a ton of history. They all had amazing food and wine! Hth
  • Options
    CMGr said:
    We were just there this year.  It rained a lot, but at least it wasn't horribly hot and humid.  Don't try and go during Easter, especially if you want to see the Vatican.  
    Thanks! Any idea about Amalfi coast and if it will be possible to swim/be on the beach there in mid-March? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    depends on which part you want to visit. the weather varies. 
    Not sure yet, but thinking Rome and south of there. Would love to do both activities/sight seeing and then relax and perhaps spend a few days at the beach (depending on weather). The other options is half Italy half Greece.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You could look on Groupon.com! They are always posting Italy getaways and at a reasonable price too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards