Illinois-Chicago
Options

Chicago Venue Help - Lofts

Hi there,

We are looking to do something other than your traditional hotel or ballroom wedding.  So far, we have a possible list of the following venues (in no particular order):

Greenhouse Loft
Prairie Productions
Gallery 1028
Aeree Loft (Room 1520)
Venue One

We also looked at, but did not like:

Kitchen of Chicago
Salvage One
ARTRevloution
Grand Piazza

Any other suggestions/spaces that we should look at/consider?  Also, anyone who has planned a wedding like this where you cater pretty much everything in have any tips or tricks to look out for?

Thanks so much!

Re: Chicago Venue Help - Lofts

• Options
    I know someone who had it the Newburry library..not sure if that is the type of place you are looking for or not
  • Options
    Another loft-like space is Ravenswood Event Center (where I am having my wedding).  We didn't like the neon signs and cars on the first floor, so we are only renting the top two floors (lots of windows and exposed brick).

Other spaces that are unique but are not loft-like:

* Cafe Brauer
    * Chicago Illuminating Company
    * River East Art Gallery
    * Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
    * Chicago History Museum
    * Chicago Cultural Center

I was actually married previously and I got married at Cafe Brauer.  It was the type of space where you rent everything - every cup, chair, etc.  The biggest tip I can give you is to try to have round tables of 8-10.  The more guests you can fit per table (while obviously giving them enough space so they're comfortable), the better.  Cutting one table will mean one less tablecloth, one less table, one less centerpiece, etc. 

I would also really take advantage of the fact that you can cater in your own items and take the time to vendor shop for great prices.  Be aware that some venues (like Cafe Brauer) have a "required" vendor list, so you may be locked into some of the most expensive vendors in town.

My venue, Ravenswood Event Center, actually lets you use any vendor you want, which will be a great money saver.  Another bonus is that we can bring in our own alcohol, so we can save a ton of money and offer fun, unique choices to our guests.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.  Good luck with your search! :)
  • Options
    Thanks January! That was a lot of help. We are going to check out Ravenswood, CIC, and Peggy Notebaert!
  • Options
    I got married at the Harold Washington Library. Have you considered the Rookery?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ncwenzencwenze member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    loft on lake
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Artchicctural Artifacts?
  • Options
    ericawink88ericawink88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    I'm getting married at Bridgeport Art Center on the south side of Chicago- absolutely stunning. check out their site, its a newer venue thats only been open for about a year. We're getting married October 2014 and two of the four weekends were already booked when we scheduled ours. 
  • Options

Erica,

Are there many hotel options near Bridgeport art center? The space looks gorgeous, just wondering how far it would be from a decent hotel.

Thanks!

• Options
    I used to live in bridgeport, and i think the closest hotels would probably be in the south loop near mccormick place
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    aekcaekc member
    First Comment
    Not sure what your budget's like, but I recommend the Kenilworth Club (and it's affordable) if you don't mind leaving the city.  The rates are reasonable, and the club is beautiful (Frank Lloyd Wright style, designed by George Maher).  Closest hotels would probably be in Evanston.

And there's also the Bridgeport Bed and Breakfast on Morgan (think it only has about 4 rooms...) -- love that area!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards