Oregon
Options

Considering Lamb's Thriftway-Reviews?

I'd like to hear from those who have used Lamb's for their wedding cake.  Generally, most comments I've seen on here have been positive. Has anyone not been pleased with their cakes/prices? 

Thanks for any input.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Considering Lamb's Thriftway-Reviews?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Their prices and cake are great and I tried to book them but they were so flakey and hard to contact I gave up. They didn't return phone calls or emails forver. They refused to email or mail a contract to me and said I had to make a seperate trip out to the store to do that in person, which is not like any other vendor. A lot of people here have had good expereinces so maybe I just happened to get stuck talking to someone new. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well that sounds annoying, maybe it was during their busy season? Then again, there's no real excuse for being flaky with your customers.  Thanks for your feedback.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I booked with them and never had any problems at all.  I found the process pretty straightforward and they were even able to accommodate a last minute change for me.  Here is a pic of my cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Very pretty! Is that buttercream frosting? Personally, I've always preferred that to fondant. Just out of curiosity, what was your last minute change?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm one of the few people who didn't have a good experience with Lamb's. When we did a tasting the cakes they gave us were really dry, and tasted like supermarket cake. We ended up going with Beaverton Bakery (they do buttercream) and loved our cake. I have a pic in my bio.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it's buttercream as I don't care for fondant either.  The last minute change was the frosting ribboning at the bottom of each tier.  I was originally going to buy ribbon but I couldn't find one I liked.  I saw a sample cake with that around it and I asked if we could do that instead- they offered suggestions on what would look best and I liked how they worked with me.  My cake was moist and delicious. 
  • Options
    Becca0517Becca0517 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved my lamb's cake.

I went with a 2-tier and then 2 1/4 sheet cakes.  They did the decorating on the sheet cake for me, which, I will say was nice but not exactly what I expected. 

I agree on the 'scattered' comment.  I did call a few times and it seemed a little disorganized, and they ended up undercharging me by $50, which I told them about, and they decided that they were not going to make me pay it, since it was their mistake.

Here is a picture of my cake. 

They also made the chocolate covered strawberries for us, upon my request

We'll end up hand in hand
    Somewhere down on the sand
    Just me and you
  • Options
    thecatergatorthecatergator member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Helen Bernhard's Bakery by Lloyd Center.  They were just slightly less expensive than Lamb's and have been in business for years.  I have had at least 10 different wedding cakes from there and all have been fantastic.  Here is a pic of my daughter's cake from there.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    All of these cakes look so pretty!  My fiance and I were also thinking about getting a smaller wedding cake and then serving pieces cut from a sheet cake to save some money.  I will definitely check out that bakery by Lloyd Center as well, the frosting work on it is what I was picturing for ours.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the input and advice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kryssirookryssiroo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i work right across the street from Lamb's Thriftway in Portland near Wash. Square mall. We order their cakes all the time for company birthdays etc. I have NEVER been dissapointed. They not only are beautiful, but taste amazing. I would definately give them my reccomendation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards