Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaid dresses online? Reviews?

I wanted to buy the twobirds convertible bridesmaid dresses in the aubergine color, each dress at $270!! Then i came across this site and they are the same dresses for $60!! Is this too good to be true? Has anyone used this website??

http://convertiblewrapdress.com/Short-Convertible-eggplant

Re: Bridesmaid dresses online? Reviews?

• They seem to be a brick and mortar store based out of Texas. Give them a call?

Sugar Bits Convertibles
    8515 S. IH 35 #9221
    Austin, TX 78744
    Country
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaid-dresses-online-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:16d7619f-762e-420b-a90c-b7bf9cb40260Post:bf2c51b3-827d-45e0-927e-0fafb90f42f0">Re: Bridesmaid dresses online? Reviews?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you!!
    Posted by Helsy85[/QUOTE]

i was wondering the same thing .. did you order a dress ? how did you like them if you did ?
  • Has anyone ordered this dress yet?  Thoughts?  I've been so close to ordering one for my sister's wedding but haven't yet...
  • I hope you haven't purchased the dresses yet.  I recently purchased some convertible dresses from Sugar Bits (convertiblewrapdress.com), and the quality of the craftmanship of the dresses I received was not what I expected.  The waist band is literally just a band of elastic, and looks like the elastic waist band on a pair of sweat pants.  It is not the same quality of dress that you see on the videos on the website.  Notice that the company doesn't accept returns and doesn't allow customers to leave reviews on the website.  That should have been a big clue for me. If you don't mind paying $60 for something that looks like you could have sewn it yourself, go ahead and buy it.  If you want something that looks professionally made, don't go with this company. 
  • JalovaCoulsonJalovaCoulson member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I ordered one dress to see how it is before I let me girls buy. I received it yesterday. I really like it. I'm familiar with the construction of a garment and I think it's pretty good for the price! From the previous reply, about the waistband, that's not a big deal. I think it helps keep it up. Also, who the heck is going to see it once you wrap it with the straps?! I highly recommend this dress! Give it some time tho bc it took 3 weeks!
  • I just received my dresses from 'convertiblewrapdress.com' aka Sugar Bits. I ordered six dresses in two sizes. One of my bridesmaids is pregnant so I sent an email asking how to order accordingly. I received a prompt response (no phone number to call... have to contact via the website contact form). I also wanted longer straps - all I had to do for the special requests was to complete the 'notes' section upon checkout. Done!  Ordere placed on Aug. 13.

Received and email staing that my items shipped but the detail on the shipping invoice was missing two dresses and two tube tops. So I emailed immediately and was told not to worry that all six dresses and tube tops were shipped (Aug. 28) So I wait.

On Sept. 11 I email stating I STILL had not received my dresses and if they had a tracking number for the shipment. I did not receive an email response...I received a USPS shipping notification for September 11th!!!!!

I received my dresses today, September 14 -  a whole month later. I sent two subsequent emails requesting some for of explanation - Crickets....

I ordered the dresses in black. The material is more of a 'jersey knit' so if you are expecting the lighter rayon fabric with a slight sheen.... this is not your vendor. I tried on one of the dresses and they don't look bad on and I may still use them. As far as the elastic band...once you wrap the straps you cannot see it but it is a rather 'bulky' band. 

I think I would have had better luck on ETSY. Although, one of the Etsy sellers I contacted had such poor communciaiton that I had to cancel my order with her... her dresses were selling for $72.00.  There is/was a livingsocial deal for VONVONNI.com for $59. The dresses runs $120.00 with Free US Shipping. The how to video is great on this websit and there is a no questions ask return policy.

Hope this helps....

• My Etsy order for convertible dresses for my bridesmaid fell through so now I'm looking at other options..how did your dress situation turn out?!? Not getting half your order a whole month later makes me a little nervous, my wedding is in less than three months! I have a message in to them but now I'm skeptical. Thanks for the info!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaid-dresses-online-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:16d7619f-762e-420b-a90c-b7bf9cb40260Post:c8c309cf-0b60-40a9-8d9d-38e2ed4d4719">Re: Bridesmaid dresses online? Reviews?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just received my dresses from 'convertiblewrapdress.com' aka Sugar Bits . I ordered six dresses in two sizes. One of my bridesmaids is pregnant so I sent an email asking how to order accordingly. I received a prompt response (no phone number to call... have to contact via the website contact form). I also wanted longer straps - all I had to do for the special requests was to complete the 'notes' section upon checkout. Done!  Ordere placed on Aug. 13. Received and email staing that my items shipped but the detail on the shipping invoice was missing two dresses and two tube tops. So I emailed immediately and was told not to worry that all six dresses and tube tops were shipped (Aug. 28) So I wait. On Sept. 11 I email stating I STILL had not received my dresses and if they had a tracking number for the shipment. I did not receive an email response...I received a USPS shipping notification for September 11th!!!!!  I received my dresses today, September 14 -  a whole month later. I sent two subsequent emails requesting some for of explanation - Crickets.... I ordered the dresses in black. The material is more of a 'jersey knit' so if you are expecting the lighter rayon fabric with a slight sheen.... this is not your vendor. I tried on one of the dresses and they don't look bad on and I may still use them. As far as the elastic band...once you wrap the straps you cannot see it but it is a rather 'bulky' band.  I think I would have had better luck on ETSY. Although, one of the Etsy sellers I contacted had such poor communciaiton that I had to cancel my order with her... her dresses were selling for $72.00.  There is/was a livingsocial deal for VONVONNI.com for $59. The dresses runs $120.00 with Free US Shipping. The how to video is great on this websit and there is a no questions ask return policy. Hope this helps....
    Posted by rune2271[/QUOTE]
  • I am currently awaiting my dress order from Sugarbits.  I had a smiliar story the one above, I ordered, they were very helpful during the ordering process....then no communication.  Its been about 28 days.  There is no phone number to call, and they have not returned my emails.  I'm just hoping these dresses are worth the $60 each!!!!  
  • I want to go with these dresses for my bridesmaids who are all on tight budgets. One of the bridesmaids ordered a brown one for a cousin's wedding and she inititally told me she hated it. Turns out she hated it because she couldn't figure out how to wrap it and she was also worried about side boob. With 4 bridesmaids, and several months to practice and asking all of them to order tube tops as well, I think those issues are covered.

The dress material, like noted above, is like a really nice jersey knit. It hangs nicely, but it is not the normal shiney sikly material you see on bridesmaid dresses, which for me is fine since I don't care for that shiney material anyways, reminds me too much of prom dresses.

They are slow. My wedding is in July, and I am planning on ordering in January just to be safe. Emailing through their site didn't lead to replies, but when I directly emailed them I got quick responses. My first fabric sample got lost in the mail and they sent out a new one quickly.

I am nervous hearing about these lost and incomplete orders so I will be watching this thread too. Not sure what else I am going to do if these guys are duds because I have bridesmaids running from a small to a 5X (NONE of the highly rated etsy sellers can make a 5X dress (I already emailed them all) and I really don't want to impose more than 100 dollars on them for dresses. If anyone has other suggestions for a dress that is under 100, can be made all the way to 5X and can look okay on all those sizes PLEASE let me know.
  • So I just recieved my dresses from Sugar Bits.

One month and a week from when I ordered it.

I am happy with the color, but the fabric is a little see through.  I think my maids will probably end up wearing a slip under, which adds to the cost of the dress.  I'm not totally unsatisfied (besides the horrible customer service) but I think I would bite the bullet, if I did this again, and ask my gals to spend a little more to get something nice.  I don't think it was worth it.

Happy planning!
  • For those of you who actually ordered & used dresses from convertiblewrapdress.com, would you mind posting a pic or two of your bridal party actually wearing the dresses? I'm thinking of using them for my bridesmaids as well, but I would like to see how the dresses look on ACTUAL PEOPLE instead of the models on all of the other websites. I have also looked at dresses by Henkaa, Dessy, Two Birds, & Von Vonni, but they don't have the color that I need. I also want to try to keep my bridesmaids from spending over $100 if at all possible. Thanks!
  • If anyone that ordered dresses from convertiblewrapdress.com, AKA SugarBits could post photos from their wedding, I would also love to see these dresses on real people. I just ordered a few color swatches from the site and so far, the only downfall to this site seems to be the shipping time, which would be twice as long with going through Davids Bridal or Alfred Angelo, so 5 weeks doesn't sound too bad. The price is right, and since we attempted and failed at doing the whole mixmatched dresses for my wedding, I would love to order these dresses. Thanks!
  • I ordered the wrap dresses for my bridesmaid's and I have the same story, but three of them have no hem, and the other ones look totally different. The one's with no hem are extremely too short so even if I wanted to add a hem I couldn't. This Sucks! I sent pictures and emails to the company but no answer back yet. I think I'm going to just have to get my girls some under tops so they can extend the length. Gosh what a hassle, it isn't worth saving the money if you have to spend extra just to fix the dresses or make them work. These dresses are mid thigh not tea length like it shows. Beware ladies...
  • HElp!!!!

I want to get wrap dresses and was in love with the sugarbits dress until I decided to google search reviews! I am not hhappy at all right now with what iver read! I have 8 bridesmaids and wanted to also get one in white for myself for the rehersal dinner. I dont want my girls spending a fortune! Has anybride found a supplier who makes these for under 75?? what actually loved the fabric?? 

Thank you!!!
  • hello

I was searching for the same thing cos I bought from sugarbits and didnt like the fabric and the garter waist.
    I bought from one seller from etsy at $30 together with shipment I paid $75 for one short convertible dress and the fabric was the same as twobirds and its amazing that there is no garter band on the waistband I dont know how to explain it but its stretches from small to large. They have two sizes though the size 2 is for 35" waistline and bigger.
    i bought the light blue color and i love it... I will post a photo here for the elastic and fabric so you will see what i mean.

In Response to Re: Bridesmaid dresses online? Reviews?:
    [QUOTE]HElp!!!! I want to get wrap dresses and was in love with the sugarbits dress until I decided to google search reviews! I am not hhappy at all right now with what iver read! I have 8 bridesmaids and wanted to also get one in white for myself for the rehersal dinner. I dont want my girls spending a fortune! Has anybride found a supplier who makes these for under 75?? what actually loved the fabric??  Thank you!!!
    Posted by patricksd115[/QUOTE]
  • this are the photo as you can see the waistband is completely flawless even when you pull the sashes up no extra bulge.

for size I ordered the size 1 and my waistline measures 27" and i think smaller waist can fit this dress up to 36" because I tried pulling it down to my butt which is 36" Undecided and it stretches without any sign of tear.

Im ordering 8 dresses for my wedding in december this year.
    I hope my sample ordering will help others too goodluck fellow brides!!!

• sloovesloove member
    First Comment
    Just as a disclaimer, I do work for a convertible dress company, but I joined the knot because I'll be getting married soon :)

As someone that's worked closely with convertible dresses, I wouldn't risk going with this particular company for some of their shadier practices. They're currently using product photos from Dessy and some of their customer photos are clearly of Twobirds dresses. They use text directly copied from our site for some of their pages/descriptions too. It's just odd to me that a seller would use the resources of all their competitors. It's understandable that if you're a small company you may have less resources but even Etsians take their own photos of products. It just makes it seems like there's something to hide about your product.

Just an insider's point of view... be cautious :)
  • Convertible dresses are seriously unflattering for many, if not most, women.  I suggest you find something else.

• I ordered mine from dressybelle.com. Got 6 dresses and they were beautiful! Was abit worried about delivery times but no issues there, they offered free delivery worldwide even with just one dress order. That helped alot!

The hemming was nicely cut and the waist band didn't have that annoying looking rubberized style.
    I gather they are a new company and was told that the free delivery option is part of the opening offer. 

Apparently this company sources for the fabrics themselves,cuts the dresses and sews them by machine. I can vouch for them.

Be careful of sites that offer the dresses cheap. They are more than likely imported from China wholesale. Low quality, poor execution and even insufficient use of fabric

USD $120 for mid length and $150 for maxis
  • I hate to disagree but I've tried the ones with the elastic waist and compared to the smooth bands you get with other dresses, the elastic waist just gathers in the wrong way and it emphasizes the tummy and hips area as it tends to rise up a bit. So even with the sash wrapping, you'll start to feel the dress rising up to the waist and the hem then starts looking rather uneven

I've also noticed the elastic waist dresses are made with insufficient use of fabric in the skirt and top, this results in too little folds to disguise any tummy bulge and not enough coverage around the side boob
  • I was in a wedding party where we used Henkaa convertible dresses and I am using them now for my own bridesmaids. They are a bit more pricey, but the quality is really good, the colours are all nice and it truly looks flattering on everyone if you style it right. Also I would highly recommend the bandeau for anyone with B+ cup size. It just makes for a cleaner look.
    I had no problems with customer service or shipping.

Hope that helps!
  • Another vote for Henkaa (and the bandeau) -- I have three bridesmaids with very different body types, and they all look great in their dresses!  The fabric is lovely as well (high quality), and they happened to have the exact colors I needed, which had been hard to find.
  • My friend used convertible dresses for her bridal party last year, and we found them from Target of all places, they worked wonderfully! They were Jersey cotton, very flattering and comfortable. Only downside, there aren't a lot of color choices. You can also find the same type of dress on Dessy.com, their site comes complete with instructions on the different ways to wrap/tie the dress as well!
  • sloove said:

Just as a disclaimer, I do work for a convertible dress company, but I joined the knot because I'll be getting married soon :)

As someone that's worked closely with convertible dresses, I wouldn't risk going with this particular company for some of their shadier practices. They're currently using product photos from Dessy and some of their customer photos are clearly of Twobirds dresses. They use text directly copied from our site for some of their pages/descriptions too. It's just odd to me that a seller would use the resources of all their competitors. It's understandable that if you're a small company you may have less resources but even Etsians take their own photos of products. It just makes it seems like there's something to hide about your product.

Just an insider's point of view... be cautious :)
    I don't get why people flagged this post. It doesn't appear to violate TOS.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I am looking into convertible dresses for my girls as I am having 9 bridesmaids and like the idea of having "different dresses."  I know this originally is an old thread but would love to see any pictures of real bridesmaids in the dresses.  I am leaning the Dessy so at least some of my BMs can try them on before we make a decision.  The other company I liked online was Muse Bridal - has anyone used them before?  
  • Have you found any within the same price range?
  • Is the dress you posted from
    Esty or sugarbits?
  • The consensus is always that convertible dresses are bad news. Too-thin fabric, unflattering draping, never stay tied, no bra coverage or boob support, bad bad bad.

If you want different dresses in the same colors, your best bet is to pick a color and a designer. David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo are two easy choices for this.
  • I was considering buying bridesmaid dresses from Von Vonni and in the past they have been quite good, but they are having absolutely horrible customer service right now, not shipping dresses or refunding since July. If you place an order now, they will charge your account, not tell you when your dress will be shipped, not pick up the phone when you call customer service, and if you're lucky, you might get an email saying that it will be shipped by the end of the week. I ordered a dress three weeks ago to try and I still have not received it. I have also heard they have an F with the Better Business Bureau. Therefore, be warned that if you want their bridesmaid dresses, wait until they have (hopefully) resolved this issue. Best of luck in your bridesmaid dress shopping!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards