Luxury Weddings

Alterations

I just had my final dress fitting (yay!) and I got the bill for the alterations...

I get that some of this is my fault, but I can't help but feel like I am WAY overpaying.
Basically, I changed the neckline of my dress (from a straight across to a true sweetheart), got a hem, took it in a BIT in the chest area, added cups, and a bustle. Granted, my dress is mostly silk organza, draped, and has a ton of material... but alterations will cost me $760. Really?!

Did anyone else pay this much for their alterations??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Alterations

• I got a quote of $450 for hem and bustle so your sounds about right for the extensive work you're having done.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I paid about $500 for alterations. The waist and chest needed to be brought in. Plus hemming and adding a bustle. My dress was tulle.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I paid over $500 just for a hem, bustle and a bra.  So based on that I think yours sounds about right.  Alterations are ridiculously expensive!  
  • I'm paying $400 for hemming and a bustle. Yours sounds right to me.
  • It doesn't sound that bad. I have a satin dress with a lace overlay. All they're doing it shortening the straps on the satin and adding a bustle - the dress actually fits perfectly so I don't need it hemmed or taken in. For just those two things (they're barely touching the lace) it's $280.
    *********************************************************************************

• AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    $350 for alterations, bra cups sewn in, hemming, and a bustle. My dress is lace.
  • Honestly, it's just something you pay. After spending thousands of dollars on a dress, is this really the place to cut costs and risk ruining your investment?

Previously Alaynajuliana

• The dress itself fit me with no alterations. (I'm 5'10" and slim, but have a small chest)

It is $350 however to sew in cups and do a 3 point bustle.

The salon normally charges $450 for all standard alterations, but they took off $100 since the dress/bodice itself didn't need anything.

I'd say for neckline restructuring plus the others it is expensive, but not unheard of.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• My dress has about a million (okay like 10) layers of crinolin...hemming those, fixing the back (too big), hemming, bustle, and slightly taking in at bust is $600. I was expecting it though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards