Second Weddings

Stress??? How do you handle it

What do you guys do with your stress??

I've always been an extremely busy person and up untill a few months before i turned 30...I've just been in pain when under any stress...this did not use to happen!!!  I've been under HUGE amounts of stress in my life and right now this is nothing to be this stressed over!!! 

I balance, being president and very active with a community organization (president til January, and no I won't give it up), 3 kids of my own, 2 of my FI's, A full time job, wedding planning and school...

Lately tho...my back and knees have just been in PAIN!!!  I'm not trying to whine, but its almost brought me into tears...docs say stress, a pinched nerve and carpal tunnel...but its never been this bad...

How do you control stress, and do any of you do anything about physical pain especially in your back...I'm looking for a chiropractor and possibly a massuse to work on my back, but does anyone have any less expensive suggestions??? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Stress??? How do you handle it

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just turned 55 on Monday, and have not had the pains you describe. However, I have been stressed often in my life, because I raised my now 23 year old son alone, and went through a break up with my daughter's dad 10 years ago. Plus I work full time, and have always been active in my kid's activities. It's not easy.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you what you need. For me, however, when I was stressed several years ago, I started using St John's Wort. I'd show up at work and see the work to be done, and just feel overwhelmed and never knew where to start. It's over the counter, herbal, and helped tremendously. You need to talk to a doctor though to see what, if any, contraindications there are with meds you may already be taking.

A few years ago I also knew I had symptoms of depression. I have been on an anti-depressant since then, and am no longer stressed or depressed. Things come more easily now, and I can balance & think through my life, prioritize, and I no longer "snap" at my kids. They like the Mom they have now!

There can be occasions when stress manifests itself in physical ailments. I'd recommend talking to your primary care doctor about all of this, and seeing if a trial of St John's Wort, or anti-depressants/anti-stressors would work for you. You also want to explain to the doctor the symptoms you have. Back, knee and carpal tunnel symptoms can sometimes be symptoms of other things, like thyroid, diabetes, etc. If you haven't had one already, I'd ask for a full blood workup and provide a family history if these things exist in your family.

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Full bloodwork - ask for vit D levels and adrenals to be checked as well.  Many docs don't order these two tests as part of a workup.  Also try to cut out as much added sugar as possible.  Depression also manifests itself in physical symptoms.

I know how you feel, BUT I am 53 years old - I think I'm supposed to feel this way LOL.  Seriously tho, I have stress as well but lately I've also been feeling just blah about everything - wedding plans included.  I think I may need to go back on the anti-D's.  But I've also had a major life change (death of my dad recently) and I've got to cut myself some slack.

I work for a doctor (holistic) so I see different therapies.  Chiropractic could be the first and probably cheapest step for you to take.  See if that brings you relief.  The low back pain could be what is causing the knee pain as well.  LBP can also come from stressed adrenal glands.  Google adrenal glands - you'll be surprised by what you find.  Mine are shot.

Good luck......and remember to cut out sugar!!  You'll be cranky for a few days but then you'll feel better - maybe not good, but better!
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I had a low-back injury that left me out of work for 103 days and then only able to work part-time for almost 6 months.  Here's what worked for me, pilates and yoga they are two different types of exercises that strengthen your core and stretch your muscles.  I have been relatively pain free for three years and when the low back starts acting up I start my exercises again it takes less than 20 minutes per workout and it works for me.  That is one suggestion. 

If pilates and yoga aren't your favorites try walking, I know your legs and back hurt and this one seems counter intuitive, but actually it works to relieve the pain.  Every therapist I saw while attempting to alleviate the pain told me to walk 20 minutes a day, and it helped get me to where I could do the pilates and yoga.  They also told me to avoid sitting for more than 20 minutes at a time, work for 20 minutes then get up and walk around the office or down the hall - something to get up and move, just for a minute or two.

Those are my suggestions.

• edited December 2011
    i always used to work out...now i havent even been doing that lately...it sucks. i am trying really hard to find balance it my home life, my work life and my wedding planning.
    i think once i start being able to work out again...but instead of starting one week then giving up and not doing it again...ill keep at it. 
    chiropractors are amazing...they do relieve a lot of tension in your back and neck and can do wonders for your over all being. They can be expensive though so shop around. I am lucky...with my work at home business i have great benefits and one of which is i can save up to 80% off chiropractor visits 9and this can work in conjuction with any other insurance). we also offer plans if people want or need to go to the chiropractor too.
    have you discussed with your doc the possibility of perhaps starting a routine at home...perhaps yoga wherre you can work out and not hurt further? 
    Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Wow I feel bad whining about it and i'm only 30...ug LOL

I've always dealt with stress...and I highly doubt its depression, I've been at the lowest with my divorce (abusive marriage, mentally, when I left I was only 93lbs and on the verge of suicide if I didn't leave) and I don't feel like that, infact I am the happiest i have ever been and this whole move and relationship and now engagement have been amazingly theraputic for me on the depression side (weight sure is showing...gained 50 lbs since FI and I started dating HA!)

I work in an office and am constantly typing, writing etc...and i do sit a lot...I got my FI to try Yoga during lunch with me and he loved it and keeps going on and on about how much we need to do it and he feels 10 years younger (ug MEN!!) So I think we'll try excercise for a while...and see what happens...hey maybe I'll lose some weight and stress and feel better all at once :)  Best think positively huh!!!

Thanks guys!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To answer this as honestly as possible - I remind myself how harshly I judge those who do NOT handle stress well.  That always keeps me on track. 

Basically, I like living.  I'm a real fan of it.  I realize it's not always going to be the best ever, but at least it's there.  Much like sex when you're tired. :)

I'm less than a year in remission and a new tumor was just found last week, as well as my blood counts being off.  More testing is in the works to see if it's returned.  I've just been put back on steroids, anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, and pain killers.  I have four children, one with severe special needs.  My fiance is in the military and there is the prospect he may be sent away for the two months prior to our wedding date.  I'm planning a wedding that has turned into a rather grand event with people coming in from other countries and may be going through treatment at the same time - which also means even MORE frequent trips between the US and Canada, as we're in the process of immigrating and all of my medical care is still through my doctors in the US.

It hurts to move, much less do the everyday care of the kids, the house, the wedding running, and hosting as many social functions as we do.  The past few days I've really wanted to just crawl in bed and not get out.  I only allow myself to take pain meds in the evening when my fiance is home. 

I could freak out.  I could cry (I detest crying and do it as infrequently as possible).  I could throw a fit and pity myself and whine for sympathy.  It'd be easy enough and I think some people would even find it justified.  I would not, however.

I feel that when you give in to those feelings, you are - in a way - giving up.  I'm a pretty stubborn person, a very active person, and a rather intense person when it comes to "sucking it up and dealing."  A lot of people feel that this is a horrible way to be and that I put unnecessary pressure on myself to not slow down.  Perhaps, but I know it keeps me motivated enough to get better, get through things, and to still want to plan tons of exciting things to come.

Bottom line - I handle stress by handling it rather than letting it handle me. :)

PS:  My biggest concerns, regarding myself, are putting on weight from the steroids and the risk of losing my hair.   So, as you can see, my priorities are right where they should be! Laughing  (Oh, and I'm 37)

I hope you find something that works for you and that you are in less pain, soon.  Everything seems worse, and more annoying, when you're in pain on top of it.

10-10-10
  • luckyme502luckyme502 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am on anti-anxiety maintenance meds, I do deep breathing techniques, meditation, and I have Ativan if none of that works.  I have just started doing yoga, so we will see if that helps. 

I have anxiety and panic disorder, so my reaction to stress might be different from yours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • edited December 2011
    I've started dedicating 1/4 mile on the treadmill to each person and/or incident and/or comment which causes me stress or pisses me off.  By doing this, I feel like I'm literally and figuratively chasing the stress and anger away, and by the time I'm done, I'm considerably more relaxed and level-headed about most everything.  Added bonus:  No weight-gain from stress-eating :)
  • edited December 2011
    Well i officially feel like an idiot!!!  Took a hooky day from work yesterday, went to my doc, I had a bad sinus infection, that was working its way slowly into my back...said i'd probably had the infection at least a month or so...wow how could i not catch that!!! been having allergy probs and stuffed head but that's normal for this time of year..guess that explains the fatigue too!!  Suppose I'd better slow down and pay attention to my body huh!!!  anyhow thanks for the advice guys :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Feel better!
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mellisamc2, honey, I feel for you. It was brave to come here and unload. You have a lot on your plate, and I hope your current situation improves and you feel better, and have a great outcome!

This is a great board. Seriously, the women here are pretty mature, honest, and have been through a lot, and when you think you really have been dealt a bad hand in life, you find out it's not so bad. We are all planning WEDDINGS, but real life has intruded, and made the details somehow seem unimportant.

Best wishes and good luck to everyone who has aches, pains, sadness or is in a good place. Somehow, it all works out.
  • I manage stress just by being happy with what I have, thinking of my kids and how grateful it is to wakeup every morning :-)
  • I exercise, try to do something I enjoy during a stressful time. Get a facial or massage once a month. We go to a massage school to pay 35 dollars for an hour massage since they are just training and then there is no mandatory 20% tip either but heck. I'll tip 20% on 35 dollars. I also take Lexapro and xanax as a prn for anxiety if I am really out of sorts. I get a lot of back pain from stress so all of that helps...I also listen to music, read a book or paint as another stress reliever.
  • Seeing my little kids playing makes me stress free, I also manage stress by thinking happy moments in my life....
  • Seeing my little kids playing makes me stress free, I also manage stress by thinking happy moments in my life....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards