Outdoor Weddings

GTKY Outdoor Weddings

What kind of outdoor venue are you looking for/did you choose? Is it a park, a garden, a beach, a camp, or something else?

Why do/did you want to get married outside?

How much of your wedding was/will be outside?

What's your plan B?

What are/were you most excited about, in terms of venue?

What is/was your biggest concern, not counting weather?

What kind of shoes are you wearing/did you wear?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: GTKY Outdoor Weddings

• bunni727bunni727 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    What kind of outdoor venue are you looking for/did you choose? Is it a park, a garden, a beach, a camp, or something else?
    A public park. We also looked at a state park with a waterfall, but it was out of our budget, and required us to work with certain vendors. I was all

I just like being outside, and outside is pretty. No deep meaning.

All of it!

What's your plan B?
    Our reception was in a covered shelter, where we could have had the ceremony cabaret style in the event of rain. Any major weather issues, like a flash flood or excessive heat, would have moved us into MIL's church.

Our ceremony took place under a dogwood tree, which was the same as "my" tree on my grandparents land. Most of my family didn't make it, so it was a nice tie in to home. There was also a pretty creek with a happy little bridge. Oh, and it cost $50.

Trains. A train track runs just outside of the park. The trees are thick enough to block the sight of it, but you can definitely hear when it passes. We scheduled our ceremony to avoid it, and tested out our acoustics while it was passing too, just in case they were running late/early.

I wore heels. Wedges or flats are usually recommended for extra stability on uneven ground, but I didn't have any trouble on a dry day. If the ground had been softer, I had alternate shoes.
  • Great idea!

We are getting married at a restaurant. The ceremony will be on a patio behind the restaurant that is surrounded by planters and greenery.

That's just how I've pictured it. For my first wedding, I did the big church ceremony, and I wanted this one to be different.

All of it. We do have a tent for the reception though.

What's your plan B?

They can put an additional tent over the ceremony space.

The price! Plus, it has a really neat, urban feel. And being a restaurant, the food is amazing.

Is heat the same thing as weather? I really fretted about setting a date but just decided to go with the summer and hope for the best.

Flats. It wasn't my first choice, but our ceremony site is gravel.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What kind of outdoor venue are you looking for/did you choose? Is it a park, a garden, a beach, a camp, or something else?
    We got married on a golf course beside a waterfall. I actually found the venue quite by accident when our original venue fell through!

We are not religious, so an outdoor ceremony made sense. 

The ceremony was outside, but the reception was inside. 

What's your plan B?
    Plan B was to move the ceremony into the reception space, which we almost had to do b/c it was misting the morning of the ceremony. I would have been heartbroken if that happened. 

Aside from how gorgeous it was, I would say just the simple fact that it was all-inclusive. It was so nice having a place that took care of everything instead of me having to piece everything together and figure out the best place to rent things, find catering, etc. 

There was no real way to hide me. Everyone had to be driven down to the waterfall on golf carts, and when it was my turn, everyone could see me coming. 

I had heels and got Solemates to put on them. However, I failed to test them out until the morning of, whereupon I discovered I bought the wrong size!  Because the ground was wet, I was extra worried about sinking, so I decided to kick off my shoes entirely. I walked down the aisle, got married, and took pics all barefoot. My dad and I laughed the whole way down the aisle about it. That was the part I was most nervous about, so it turned out to be a blessing in disguise b/c I was no longer nervous; I was having fun!

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @xt5678, we didn't have anyone bother us. The park was open, and there were lots of kids out playing on the playground equipment, and some people did wander over to see what the crowd was for, but we didn't have any actual disruptions.

• What kind of outdoor venue are you looking for/did you choose? Is it a park, a garden, a beach, a camp, or something else?

We chose a local park along the San francisco bay. 

Neither of us are religious, and the bay area is gorgeous. We love Oakland, and we really wanted the city to be a part of our day.  So, the place we ended up getting married had the Oakland hills in the background across the estuary.

the entire ceremony was outside.  The reception was at the same location and was indoor/outdoor.  The building is small but the entire front of the building is glass, so whether you were inside dancing or outside on the deck or in the park, you could see inside the building and hear the music and see what was going on.

What's your plan B?

we didnt' have a plan B.  I just kept my fingers crossed that it wouldn't rain.  It wasn't a huge risk, because the bay doesn't get much rain in September... but, it did actually rain 3 days before the wedding. 

It being casual, but still beautiful. That was a hard combo to find.

Seating. Some of our seating was picnic benches. I was afraid people wouldn't read the website and realize that and end up wearing clothing that wouldn't be picnic bench friendly.

I wore heels for the ceremony with solemates and I didn't sink. I did switch into flats for the reception.

• What kind of outdoor venue are you looking for/did you choose? Is it a park, a garden, a beach, a camp, or something else?  Beach

Why do/did you want to get married outside?  I've always been drawn to the water and had dreamed of a beach wedding.   I love the beach so much I moved to the islands for 15 years.

How much of your wedding was/will be outside?  ceremony was going to be on the beach.  Reception under a tent and beach club house (the tent was on their patio)

What's your plan B? ceremony under the tent

What are/were you most excited about, in terms of venue? It was on the actually beach.

What is/was your biggest concern, not counting weather?  weather was my only concern and even then it was not something we stressed over.  Good thing because we had a tropical storm hit and had to move the ceremony to the tent.  

What kind of shoes are you wearing/did you wear? I was going to be in bare-feet for the ceremony, heels for the reception.  

Then we had to move it to the tent so I started off in heels.   Then I found out DH found a small little spot under the tent that had sand.  He made the coordinator rearrange the entire ceremony because he knew it was my dream to get married with my toes in the sand (this was pre-Zac Brown).  Mind you this was after the tent collapsed because of the storm.  Poor coordinator.     Anyway, I kick-off the shoes at the beginning of the aisle just before walling down.  I ended up just wearing flip-flops the rest of the night.  The storm made the floor a little wet and I didn't want to kill myself.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • What kind of outdoor venue are you looking for/did you choose? Is it a park, a garden, a beach, a camp, or something else? A gorgeous home and gardens in a historic district of New Orleans.

Why do/did you want to get married outside? I always wanted an outdoor wedding as long as I can remember.

How much of your wedding was/will be outside? Everything was outside, although the food stations and cake cutting were in the parlors.

What's your plan B? Everything would be moved indoors with a more cocktail style reception, which I was not thrilled with. Luckily, we didn't need to resort to that, the weather was perfect.

What are/were you most excited about, in terms of venue? The bridal/honeymoon suite that was included for the night. 

What is/was your biggest concern, not counting weather? We had a hard time choosing where to do the ceremony since there were a couple options. 

What kind of shoes are you wearing/did you wear? i wore black heels, I think around 4", and I wore them for our second line and the entire night, surprisingly with no issues.
  • xt5678 said:
    bunni727 said:
    @xt5678, we didn't have anyone bother us. The park was open, and there were lots of kids out playing on the playground equipment, and some people did wander over to see what the crowd was for, but we didn't have any actual disruptions.

that's good to know @bunni727 :-) 
    We were at a park also, and no one that wasn't affiliated with the wedding came to close or bothered us.

My parents' backyard. It's not a huge backyard like I see in most backyard wedding photos. It's tiny compared to backyards in other areas in the country, but big in terms of Vegas backyards. Big enough for tables, a place to dance, etc.

I searched for weeks trying to find a place that I liked. Everywhere has such high price points or strict rules. We wanted something casual and laid back, but still "nice". Sees Vegas has no in between that we were looking for. We initially were going to just do a BBQ after the ceremony. We looked at different parks and picnic areas. None were going to work so I suggested using my parents' backyard and everyone agreed. We started planning for the reception to be in the backyard and eventually decided to have the ceremony there as well under a big tree.

All of it. Ceremony and Reception.

What's your plan B?

I guess we could move inside the house.

I'm excited the most about having full control. There are no "no"s. I don't have to pay a fee for outside vendors, I can decorate how I want, and don't have to leave by a certain time.

Keeping food cold that needs to stay cold. Vegas, mid July. It's going to be HOT. Everything will happen after sunset but it will still be HOT.

Sandals or flip flops lol.

We have rented a lodge in the Rockies for the weekend.

FI and I are both very outdoorsy people. We love the mountains and water.

Ceremony and cocktail hour... plus pre-wedding activities: welcome BBQ the night before for everyone, yoga on the lawn the morning of the wedding.

What's your plan B?
    Ceremony can be moved into the barn where the reception will be

I love the view from the ceremony site over looking the river.  Getting ready with my girlfriends in the beautiful honeymoon cabin.  Tying everything together for our `woodsy`theme.

Mosquitoes!  We will have citronella candles for the ceremony.

I have heels that I would like to wear all day, but if the ground is soft, I will wear wedges for the ceremony/picture taking, then change into my heels for the reception.

Sorry about the weird formatting..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited August 2013
    Post removed due to GBCK
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

A park.

We're outdoorsy people. We also don't belong to a church in the area, so the church rental alone was running about $2,000.

Just the ceremony is fully outside - our reception venue is about a mile away and has mostly indoor space, but a huge outdoor patio where we'll set up cocktail tables/etc. 

What's your plan B?

For the ceremony, plan B is a tent at the base of the park - we looked into cute Oriental Trading umbrellas, but they didn't seem very comfortable/practical for guests. 

How unique it is - when we tell people where we're getting married, they're like "wow! you can do/rent that?? I wish I would have known that!"

Parking.... ughhhhh parking. It's across the street and about 150 yards away. People can drop off elderly/etc. right next to the site, but then they have to go park. We looked into valet, but it won't work for various reasons. 

I'm wearing 2.5" heels. We have a couple of family members that are severely handicapped, so we picked a place that was all cement and the pathway up to it also cement. No worries about the heels sinking in except when we go take pictures - I'm sure I'll be so happy and distracted at that point I'll lose the shoes or not care anyway. :)
    *********************************************************************************

We are getting married at a vineyard.

I had always dreamt of having an outdoor wedding in a beautiful location.  We are both wine lovers and we attend a lot of wine tastings together.  Our first date was at a wine bar.  The venue just made sense for us.

Everything will be outside under a gorgeous stone and stucco pavilion that sits on the shores of a little lake and has vineyards on the other side.  The pavilion has two sections: a section with a cathedral ceiling, and an arched round at both ends.  I will enter through one end and walk down the aisle to my groom waiting at the altar in the other arched round at the other end.  The other side of the pavilion will house all the dinner tables and the ceremony side will become the dance floor later on.
    What's your plan B?
    There is no plan B.  The pavilion is large and sturdy with deep over hangs and curtains/shades that can be drawn if it rains and blows.  There are wrought iron ceiling fans and chandeliers in the gorgeous wood ceiling. The pavilion sits on a little rise of land near the lake and captures breezes.  The pavilion also has a stamped concrete floor that maintains the cool.  Short of a 90 degrees 90 percent humidity day (then everyone is just going to be HOT) or a tornado we should be good to go.
    The venue is about an hour away from most of our friends and family, but the winery has rooms on the property on the other side of the lake.  About half of our guests are staying on property.  The rooms are gorgeous and are in six separate villas.  Each villa is a stand alone Tuscan inspired villa with four separate hotel rooms that share a large central common area (living room with stone fireplace, breakfast area, etc) and patio overlooking the lake.  We have assigned people to villas with their close friends or family. It is like a little mini vacation for everyone and the common space allows them time to socialize before and after the wedding. There is also a wonderful restaurant in a restored barn on the property and a beautiful piazza with live music in the evenings so for those staying, they will have a lot to explore and enjoy.
    No major concerns other than the weather.  My hair will not fare well in humidity or rain.  I am getting married in 11 days and I am obsessively monitoring the long-term forecast!  To limit and speed up the amount of time spent in the sun/weather while taking pictures we have rented a couple golf carts to get us around the vineyard property quickly.

I will wear peep toe pumps that are about three inches.  I have placed Soulmates on them so that I do not sink into the grass.  However that is only a worry for pictures really as we have brick pathways to and from the pavilion. I have a pair of sparkly, elevated flip flops I intend to wear after the first dance.

Here is our venue.  I am in love:

http://www.gervasivineyard.com/Weddings/Outdoor-Wedding-Venue-Ohio

Our ceremony is outside of a local church.  FI's grandfather built a stone alter outside of the church his family has all grown up in.... reception is at the oldest barn in either NE or the Country... a friend of ours owns the property (FI knows more about the history - If I remember correctly at one point George Washington ate lunch there)

FI and I are avid in outdoor sports (Hunting, Fishing, Boating, Skiing, Offroading, etc)

All of it!

What's your plan B?

We have a tent set up at the reception location & we can use the church is need be

The location, FI grew up in the town that both our ceremony & reception is in and I've worked in the town since I was 12.

Too many people!!  FI has a nasty habit of asking everyone he knows if their coming even if they weren't on the guest list... With just over 3 weeks left, I'm going with the what will be will be method!!

I Have 3in thin sparkly heels and purchased the plastic things that go on the ends to prevent you from aerating the lawn.

• What kind of outdoor venue are you looking for/did you choose? Is it a park, a garden, a beach, a camp, or something else?  We will be getting married at a Botanic Garden.

Why do/did you want to get married outside? Both my FI and I are not super religious and never saw ourselves getting married in a church.  We both love going to the Botanic Garden (especially during the cherry blossom season) and thought it would be a lovely place for our wedding. 

How much of your wedding was/will be outside? The ceremony & cocktails will be outside - ceremony within a section of the gardens and cocktails on a terrace near the reception location.  The reception will be inside their glass building.

What's your plan B? We chose the Botanic Garden for their plan B options - if it rains, the ceremony will be inside the glass building, take an underground hallway/tunnel to the green houses where the cocktails will be, then back to the glass building for the reception.

What are/were you most excited about, in terms of venue? Having our photos taken with the beautiful gardens as a backdrop!

What is/was your biggest concern, not counting weather? That people won't show up to (or be late to) the ceremony -  our wedding is on a Friday @ 6pm.

What kind of shoes are you wearing/did you wear? I just found my shoes! Being that I will most likely be walking on grass I originally wanted a wedge heel, or at least a thick heel.  I also wanted blue shoes.  I found a pair of blue shoes with a low and thick heel at DSW in the clearance section  that were really comfortable to walk in, went to buy them & got an extra discount at the register so they came to a total of $25 - couldn't have asked for anything better!
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Why do/did you want to get married outside?
    Me and my FH are both lovers of the outdoors

all of the wedding and reception will be outdoors
    What's your plan B?
    if it rains we will rent tents 
    I am in love with the plantation that we are getting married at! fits my theme perfectly 

having to work with the fact the plantation will still be giving tours the day of the wedding 

I will be wearing cowboy boots
  • Oooh great idea!!!

We chose a ski resort in the mountains (during the summer). Our ceremony will be at a small bar/restaurant/hang-out building literally at the top of the mountain. You have to take two ski lifts to get there and you can see hundreds of miles. 

We wanted a destination wedding (we live in Chicago but LOVE Montana and plan to move there after we get married there) and an outdoor ceremony was only logical because we love the area for its natural beauty. Plus we're not religious so we had no issues with not getting married in a church. 

We're having the ceremony on the deck of the building at the top of the mountain (Summit Lodge) and cocktail hour on both the deck and inside the building (we reserved the whole building). The reception will be at the lodge at the base of the mountain, inside, but right on a patio so we can go outside if we want. 

What's your plan B?

Not quite sure, probably in the main dining area of the Summit Lodge. 

The fact that we're on top of a freaking mountain in freaking Montana. And the ski lifts are pretty freaking cool too. 

FI's mother. She's a crazed loon and is on the warpath. I may or may not have to throw her off the mountain. 

I plan to wear flat sandals. FI is only an inch or two taller than me and my hips do not do well in heels. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    We're getting married in the yard of my future in-laws' home.

I always imagined getting married outside. It's so pretty! I'm not really a banquet-hall type person and I like how informal outside weddings can be.

All of it. Ceremony and reception.

What's your plan B?
    We rented a tent, but we're hoping to not need to put it up. If the weather is really seriously inclement (like a hurricane) we'll try to find a social hall nearby.

It was my fiancé's home for many years. His parents built it, and it shows the love of a close family.

All the logistics around a wedding at home, like parking, lighting and toilets. There's so much to organize and I hope it goes well!

Open-toed shoes with chunky heels.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards